Visual Bookmarks does not cover all Bible text readed...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 22 2010 7:27 AM

I was a little lazy to learn how to use Visual Bookmarks when I first bough Logos 4.  But now I´m giving them a chance.

I have one prefered Bible which has a Reading Plan.  I was carefully following daily lectures.  Now, 4 months after I start, I got exaclty 30% of the Bible covered.

Yet, the Visual Bookmarks doesn't cover the first 30% of the Scroll Bar in this Bible.  Not even close.  So my question is

How exactly is a Visual Bookmark stablished? If I select a passage and then scroll down, which text is bookmarked? Only the first passage? Only those ones that are at the beginning of the page when I scrolled down? Or what?

When I tried to use Visual Bookmarks to go back to previous sections in a book, they work wonderfull.  But if I try to use to check "how much is left" in a Bible or a particular book, they get to confuse me...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 10:02 AM

Hi...

Is there anybody out there?

Posts 27257
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 5:30 PM

Sorry Victor, I had anticipated someone else would reply as i don't fully understand your question.

A Reading Plan will mark the next section of the resource to be read but i don't think there are any visual cues (Visual bookmarks?) to indicate how much has been read. You get most information direct from the Reading Plan.

This post might help - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/18000/135506.aspx

And the wiki is a good source of information - see http://wiki.logos.com/Bookmarks

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 5:44 PM

Thanks Dave!

As far as I understand, Visual Cues are the orange circles that shows when you navigate directly to a book position.  See http://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Cues

What I want to do is this:

If I create several reading planes for several books.. Can I have a visual indication of how much I've read of a book by looking at the Visual Bookmarks? The Wiki article is not very specific about this or how the book is marked: http://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Bookmarks

So what I want to do is something like this: If I read the whole A.T. on certain Bible, then when I open this Bible, the Visual Bookmarks would show me the whole AT marked... If I read through half a any book in my collection, then when I open it I will easily see this because half the book is marked in the scroll bar.  Am I clear?

My final goal is to read my full collection (God help me !)

English is not my native language so excuse, sometimes I don't know how a term would translate...

Posts 33849
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:08 PM

Victor Ulloa:
Am I clear?

No, visual bookmarks do not work in that way. Reading plans have start & stop markers in the text and the scroll bar when you are within you reading will give you an estimate of how far you are into the book.

The Logos Help feature is probably the best description of how they work. History (gray), Favorites (blue), and current Search Results (orange) are displayed as colored lines on the resource scrollbar.

•      Hover over a gray mark to see places you’ve visited. The longer you spent time there, the darker the mark.
 •      Hover over an orange mark to view a current search result.
 •      Hover over a blue mark to view a place you’ve saved as a Favorite.
 •      Go to Tools | Program Settings to turn scrollbar bookmarks off or on.

Inc. Logos Research Systems, Logos 4 Help (Logos Research Systems, Inc.; Bellingham, WA, 2009; 2009).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:20 PM

Thank you very much, MJ.  Just one doubt left: how the program decides what to mark? If my screen shows me John 1.1 thru John 1.12, it marks John 1.1, or all the displayed verses?

Or what about this: I navigate to John 1.1.  Then I scroll down using Page Down, or using the "next verse" arrow in the bar... which passages are "marked". ?

Thank you again...

Posts 33849
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 8:11 PM

Victor Ulloa:
how the program decides what to mark?

I honestly don't know.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 5:49 AM

Thanks, MJ.

I'm now installing a fresh copy in a virtual machine without internet connection, so I expecto to try differents approaches beggining with empty Visual Bookmarks.  Maybe I can deduct from this how the program works...

If I can, then I will tell you.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS