Beta 9 crashes Logos Immediately

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 24 2010 6:30 PM | Locked

Beta 9 crashes immediately as soon as I try to open Logos 4.  I have no way to send log files because it won't even open at all. 

I am running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit on my laptop which is a Lenovo ThinkPad, model T61 with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 CPU running at 2.20GHz. 

This laptop has 4 GB of ram, and Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M display adapter with 128 MB of dedicated GPU ram.

Logos 4 was running fine - without any of the problems others have described - all the way up to Beta 8.  But as soon as I installed Beta 9 - now Logos 4 won't even load at all.  When I try to open it - it just comes up with a dialog box in the middle of the screen telling me that Logos 4 has stopped working.

How do I fix this?  System restore? Uninstall and then re-install the entire program and resources?  I hope not because that would really be a pain.

If anyone has advice to help - please let me know.  Thanks. 

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 6:50 PM | Locked

I've got the same problem

EDIT: it will load using a blank layout, so there would be something in our layouts causing it to crash. For me it seems to be my custom passage guide

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:03 PM | Locked

Both of you should be able to send logs if you open to a blank layout and then try to access a saved layout.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:09 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Both of you should be able to send logs if you open to a blank layout and then try to access a saved layout.

I know this may seem like a stupid question . . .  But, how do you open Logos 4 to a blank layout?

Posts 6724
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:23 PM | Locked

Stein Dahl:

Dave Hooton:

I know this may seem like a stupid question . . .  But, how do you open Logos 4 to a blank layout?

In the command box type "close all" (without the quotes) and then close Logos. Launch the software and it will reopen to a blank layout. Then open one of your saved layouts.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:31 PM | Locked

Lynden Williams:
In the command box type "close all" (without the quotes) and then close Logos. Launch the software and it will reopen to a blank layout. Then open one of your saved layouts.
The problem is, I can't get Logos 4 (Beta 9) to open at all to be able to type in the command box.  It crashes immediately upon attempting to open the program.

Any other ideas, maybe?

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:37 PM | Locked

Stein

Enable permanent logging and you should upload the crash log and logos4.log.

See the wiki to load a blank layout.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:37 PM | Locked

Opened fine with blank layout. Opened one layout successfully then crashed when I tried to change layouts

5432.Logos4Crash.txt

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:42 PM | Locked

Fred,

Looks like you are also crashing in a Guide document. It would help if you uploaded the logos4.log (enable permanent logging as above if necessary).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:44 PM | Locked

Stein Dahl:

Dave Hooton:

Hold down the Ctrl key while starting up Logos. It will then present you with the Login screen which has the option to click a checkbox marked "Open to blank layout" (or something along those lines) -- tick that box and you should be able to bypass the crash. Then try opening your saved layout or custom guide or whatever it was you recall you last had open, and see if you can get log files from that if it crashes again.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:48 PM | Locked

It appears the culprit may be the Passage Guide. I crashed repeatedly with some layouts and not at all with others. I opened just a passage guide from the tools menu and crash when I try to execute the search in the guide.

4555.Logos4Crash.txt

0207.Logos4.log

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:58 PM | Locked

Fred Chapman:
It appears the culprit may be the Passage Guide.

Yup. Same as Todd's crash at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/22047.aspx

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:59 PM | Locked

It appears it is only the Custom Passage guide (and layouts that include a custom passage guide causing the crash. I deleted My custom passage guide and built a new one. It is no longer crashing.

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 8:05 PM | Locked

Fred Chapman:
I deleted My custom passage guide and built a new one. It is no longer crashing.

It's good that you found a workaround.

Logos still need to isolate the cause because my custom PG/EG is not crashing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 8:08 PM | Locked

I have gone through all of my layouts that were crashing and in each case deleted the custom guide I built for each layout. Once that guide is removed the layout no longer crashes the program.

I agree Logos needs to isolate and fix this otherwise a lot of folks are going to be deleting and rebuilding guides. I'm sure they will jump on this one pretty quick.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 8:31 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
Hold down the Ctrl key while starting up Logos. It will then present you with the Login screen which has the option to click a checkbox marked "Open to blank layout" (or something along those lines) -- tick that box and you should be able to bypass the crash. Then try opening your saved layout or custom guide or whatever it was you recall you last had open, and see if you can get log files from that if it crashes again.
Okay I was finally able to open Logos 4 (Beta 9) to a blank layout.  Then I was able to locate the Log Files.

3343.Logos4.log

2783.Logos4Crash.txt

Hopefully this upload works.

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:04 PM | Locked

Stein Dahl:
Hopefully this upload works.

Well done. Your crash is different to the others but still involves a Guide. You might try Fred's workaround above.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:10 PM | Locked

My crash files from trying to open a layout from a blank layout.

1856.Logos4Crash.zip

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Posts 26953
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:30 PM | Locked

David Gullick:

Still Guide-related. From a blank layout you might try to re-create your custom Passage Guide(s) in the Guides menu & see if that works. If necessary re-create your Exegetical Guides.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 11:23 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

David Gullick:

Still Guide-related. From a blank layout you might try to re-create your custom Passage Guide(s) in the Guides menu & see if that works. If necessary re-create your Exegetical Guides.

Newly created guides crash on first attempt to use them

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS