Hermeneia is newly available for download, and on sale for 50% off!!

Page 6 of 7 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
This post has 130 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:55 AM

Dennis Miller:
My question is since I am not familiar with any of the authors listed, who appear to be of the German/European community, what school of theology do they come from, Reformed, Neo-Orthodoxy, Evangelical, etc?

They're mainly from the liberal-critical 'school'. My comments here may help further.

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:56 AM

Wilson Hines:
Mark, just letting you know I extensively quoted you on my blog post

I'm flattered. Great blog, by the way.

Posts 603
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 2:27 PM

Thank you, Will and Fortress Press. I'm one happy camper and my wife is relieved at Fortress' and Logos' generosity in offering the full refund. Peace + joy reign in the tent of this septuagenarian and his spouse of 52 yearsBig Smile

Steve Maling

Posts 2944
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:43 PM

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 5085
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:48 PM

Tes:
Hermeneia Upgrade (3 Vols.)  is the upgrade included with it or it has to be purchased separately`?

Upgrade is include Tes.  When Hermeneia was originally released it was 40 volumes.  A little bit later 3 more volumes were added so the full package when up to 43 volumes and the 3volume upgrade was made available for those who had purchased the 40 volume package.

Posts 2944
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 4:14 PM

Blessed Andrew,thank you.how is the weather in Australia?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 5085
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 6:31 PM

Tes:

Blessed Andrew,thank you.how is the weather in Australia?

Blessing Tes, It is spring time, so its a good time of year.

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 9:19 PM

Mike W:

Will there be any kind of discount for people who recently bought Hermeneia?

Depends on how recently is "recently." Their official policy is a full refund if you return it within 30 days, but they've been known to be gracious even after that time period if there are special circumstances. I would call Customer Service and see if they'll let you return Hermeneia if you commit (by placing a prepub order) to buying the Hermeneia & Continental Commentary bundle, and I would guess they will likely accommodate your request. But act soon, since the bundle is shipping on Oct 1.

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 7:49 AM

Rosie Perera:
I would call Customer Service

Thanks, I was aware of the 30 return policy.  I bought this in early August but I ordered it from the sales person I normally contact at Logos. Since Logos Sales people get credit (and I assume a commission) for sales I'm not sure that returning Hermeneia would be fair to the sales person even if I was within the 30 days.   I wouldn't be concerned about this is it was only a matter of a price difference for something I've already purchased.   I did contact customer service about a resonable upgrade and they referred me to the Suggestion email link.   My sales person didn't know that there was any difference in this new bundle and the 43 volume set.  At this time I'm waiting to hear back from him. 

Thanks

Posts 373
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 8:01 AM

Mike, most of us here use salespeople.  I have had two salespersons at Logos in since 1994'sh.  The first is now working in the ministry in Texas, I think, and the second is a fantastic guy that started at Logos about the first quarter they started sales.  I know for a fact my sales guy would love for you to return it, because he would find it an ethical obligation to someone who had purchased in early August.  REMEMBER, you are not taking a sale from him/her, as you are then resigning up on a pre-pub.  Oh, that may be the problem - you do know you can sign up for pre-pubs and your salesperson get credit, don't you?  I e-mail the link to all of the pre-pubs I want as they come out and he clicks the prepub order button for me on his end and he gets credit for that sale.  You won't be taking anything away from your sales person if you return this item and pre-pub (as I prescribed) the new release.  

EDIT:

I would also add here, if that salesperson didn't feel like it was the right thing to do, I would use another salesperson.  "Just say'n."  He's making money either way.  My sales guy is extremely ethical.  One time I had to convince him to sell me something (an upgrade on a third party package), as he didn't think I would use it.  In other words, he wants to see me get the biggest bang for my buck.  

Wilson Hines

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 3:50 PM

Anybody have a strong opinion: if one can only get the OT or the NT collection, is there one that is consistently stronger/higher regarded than the other?  I am leaning NT, just because I am a bit better with Greek than Hebrew, and for the Matthew Commentary.  Thoughts?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:05 PM

While I've heard that the Matthew Commentary is really worth owning - 

I am only picking up the OT because:

- 39 is bigger than 31 (more coverage of the Bible)

- according to this bestcommentaries.com grid the OT finds much more popularity amongst readers.

- well and I don't have another $300 like yourself

Not very convincing I know but it helps me sleep at night!

Posts 165
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 7:08 PM

I would likewise lean towards the NT set if I had to choose (lucky for me, I did not have to choose either or).  My proficiency in Greek is far greater than Hebrew, and I likewise spend my time in research on the NT and related topics.

The quality of some of the NT ones I own on my self are superb.  Harold Attridge on Hebrews has long been a friend of mine.  I have spent the better part of 5 years in this marvelous book and I cannot recommend Attridge's work enough.  It is an excellent piece of scholarship.

Also, like Dan has mentioned, Lutz's work on Matthew is to be on the shelf of every NT scholar.  This can be said for the like of Betz on Galatians, Dibelius on James, Bovon on Luke, Collins on Mark, Pervo on Acts, to name a few.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 8:05 PM

Thanks, Paul and Clifford.  Who's gonna break the deadlock you both created?  Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 8:45 PM

Paul Newsome:

wow thats what I call a price cut!  Would being downloadable cause this to be so much less expensive?

Actually there is a basis for your question that could account for this new price level. See this FAQ   http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/faq#transferlicenses
and note the last line (red text emphasis added by myself)

Q: How do I Transfer my Licenses?

A:  Licenses for shippable products on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, which come with a Serial Number, can be transferred from one person to another. (See the EULA for more information.) Unlocks can only be transferred as part of a full license transfer. There will be a processing fee charged on all transfers which is subject to change without notice. As of 6/17/09 the fee is equal to $20.00 per transfer. Either party involved with the transfer can pay the fee. We require the transfer request in writing (email is accepted) from the person to whom the software is currently registered. Please provide the following information:

• The name and contact information of the current user, including email address.
  • The Libronix Customer ID of the current user. (This can be found under Help | About Libronix DLS.)
  • The name and contact information of the person receiving the license, including email address.
  • Recipient's Libronix Customer ID, if they have one.
  • The product name(s) and serial number(s).

Note: Licenses for unlocked, downloadable products are non-transferable.

So everyone who purchases Hermeneia by download can only sell it in conjunction with the transfer of their complete collection.

I purchased the CD Rom version a few months back. It only includes the Hermeneia set (not the Continental Commentaries) Although I can sell it individually because it is on a CD with a serial number, it is one commentary I will not want to sell.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:05 PM

Matthew C Jones:
So everyone who purchases Hermeneia by download can only sell it in conjunction with the transfer of their complete collection.

However see this thread and Bob's response. Apparently everything has either not been cleared up, what Bob said he was willing to do (treat downloaded and CD resource licenses the same way) cannot be implemented, or the web page has not been updated. There may have been an update to this thread but I didn't find it in a quick search.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/87.aspx?PageIndex=4

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:12 PM

Mike W:

Dan Pritchett:
We realize that many people recently bought the Continental Commentary Series as a standalone package from Logos, and they have graciously agreed to offer full refunds of the Continental Commentary Series to anyone that commits to buying the new complete Hermeneia download after October 1st. For more details, please contact Logos after October 1st at 800-875-6467.

Will there be any kind of discount for people who recently bought Hermeneia?

Thanks

Mike, I purchased the Hermeneia CD just a couple of months ago. I paid more than the current $600 sale price and did not get the Continental Commentary with it nor the new volume. I have no desire to return it for a refund or sell it but, if I understand your question correctly, I would also like to ask, Will there be any kind of discount to purchase the Continental Commentaries and the additional Hermeneia volume for persons who recently purchased the Hermeneia 43 volume CD? 

Did I ask the same question?  I do concede I am owed nothing from Logos or Fortress press in this matter.

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:13 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Thanks, Paul and Clifford.  Who's gonna break the deadlock you both created?  Smile

Hey Dan,

I'm only considering the OT set. Here's my reasoning:

1. Within Logos, there are more NT-only sets available of exceptional quality as compared to OT-only (see NIGTC, BECNT, PNTC, and others, many of which include some of the best ones on their respective books).
  2. With this particular set, you get basically the entire Continental Commentary set (17 out of 19), which contains a number of important works, plus all the OT Hermeneia volumes, which would serve to round out a library on the OT side quite well.

My two cents. But, like others have said, some of the NT volumes are pretty good too...

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:29 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Mike, I purchased the Hermeneia CD just a couple of months ago. I paid more than the current $600 sale price and did not get the Continental Commentary with it nor the new volume. I have no desire to return it for a refund or sell it but, if I understand your question correctly, I would also like to ask, Will there be any kind of discount to purchase the Continental Commentaries and the additional Hermeneia volume for persons who recently purchased the Hermeneia 43 volume CD? 

Any "discount" for purchasing a collection that contains something you already own is usually best achieved by having you return the former for a full refund and then purchasing the new more complete set. A sales rep can take care of all of this for you in one call. There's no guarantee they'd do the refund after two months (their official policy is only 30 days), but in my experience they usually do, particularly for good customers (anyone who has bought extra books beyond their base package is already a good customer), since they value the long-term relationship with their customers.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:37 PM

Mark A. Smith:
However see this thread and Bob's response. Apparently everything has either not been cleared up, what Bob said he was willing to do (treat downloaded and CD resource licenses the same way) cannot be implemented, or the web page has not been updated. There may have been an update to this thread but I didn't find it in a quick search.

I agree, it has not been totally settled. When you read the dates on the thread you referred  to, all posts appear to be from last year. When you check the FAQ page I referred to the "last update" was 09/16/2010, as stated in the bottom right corner. I'd say my info should be more correct to the textual critics on the forums. Stick out tongue

Page 6 of 7 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS