Content of Downloads

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 7
Edmund Jonker | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 17 2010 12:08 AM

After a lot of trouble downloading Trans 799562 I re-installed Logos-4 from my original DVD.  I was then told to download 3.11GB of updates (09/15-160).  I did this and thought that was all, but at the end I was told to re-start Logos4. It started re-indexing and told me it was downloading another 4.79GB (last night in S.Africa).  I stopped this because I did not have the least idea what I was downloading.  Could you please let me know....

1. What was the approx. content of the 3.11GB?

2. What is the approx. content of the present 4.79GB (pending)?    Thanks.

Edmund Jonker

UN = jonkere@vodamail.co.za

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 1:59 AM

This article will help you determine what was downloaded last time: http://wiki.logos.com/An_update_is_downloading,_what_is_it

Finding out what is about to download is a little trickier (and I can't test it because I don't have any downloads pending). Sorry.

As regards why this happened, I suspect that because Logos has changed a lot since the DVDs were released there have been a lot of updates since. There are two types of update in Logos - program updates and resource update. When you do a program update, and install that, often there are more resource updates to come afterwards. That's because some resources require the program update to be installed first.

Because of this requirement, Logos is supposed to prioritise program updates and run them first, to avoid wasted downloading. It sounds as though that might not have happened in this case, which if so would point to a bug. On the other hand, it's possible that there really have been 8Gb of updates since launch, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 2:06 AM

PS - If you aren't comfortable with the last method on that list, but are comfortable attaching the file to this forum, we could take a look at it for you. Click the paperclip icon, then browse, and paste in %localappdata%\Logos4\Data\ and press OK. Double click on the randomly-named folder, then on UpdateManager, and finally on Updates, or Update.db

This will determine exactly what updates have already applied, and determine whether or not there was a bug.

PPS - You could also try and attach the DownloadManager file in the DownloadManager folder. That might tell us what is about to be downloaded.

Posts 26949
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 5:44 AM

Edmund Jonker:

1. What was the approx. content of the 3.11GB?

2. What is the approx. content of the present 4.79GB (pending)?    Thanks.

As Mark has stated it's impossible to answer your question as stated. What is your base library? What resources have you purchased outside that product? What version is the DVD?

With regard to a Scholar's Silver Library the downloadable updates would be:-

• 6.1 GB if the DVD was 4.0 SR5 (c. 28/10/2009)  + 1.45 GB of others not on DVD**
  • 4.0 GB if the DVD was 4.0a (c. 1/1/2010)             + 1.45 GB of others not on the DVD**

** others depends on your purchases

In fact, my 4.0 SR5 DVD is useless because everything has been updated!

So it possible you need both downloads! You can control downloads setting Automatically Download Updates = NO, allowing you to index one download whilst holding back the other.

Next time you uninstall you might consider saving your resources and using Quick Installation onto multiple computers

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS