Find out the most popular Logos resources - and see which ones you're missing!

Page 3 of 5 (88 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 87 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5156
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 1:59 PM

Todd Phillips:

Mark Barnes:

I tell you what, if 1 is awful, 2 is poor, 3 is average, 4 is very good, and 5 is excellent, then we users are pretty harsh critics, aren't we!

I don't know about others, but I have defaulted all of my resources to 2.  That would definitely skew ratings.  But I like it that way: If it's not rated, it's new, plus I can rate something a 1 (lower than default).  A resource gets a 3 if it's usable, 4 if I need it (hard to work without it), and 5 if it's outstanding.  Plus I haven't manually rating that many resources, so a lot of good resources get a 2.

I'm probably using rating along the line of what Pam is doing but I like the strategy of starting everything at 2.  I can quickly see what's new i.e. no rating but it still gives me room to downgrade a resource to 1 if for me it warrants. 

Of course there is a seventh rating option we can use for those that are even worse than 'awful' and that's 'hidden'

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 2:42 PM

Todd Phillips:
I don't know about others, but I have defaulted all of my resources to 2.  That would definitely skew ratings.  But I like it that way: If it's not rated, it's new, plus I can rate something a 1 (lower than default).  A resource gets a 3 if it's usable, 4 if I need it (hard to work without it), and 5 if it's outstanding.  Plus I haven't manually rated that many resources, so a lot of good resources get a 2.

Actually, that's exactly what I do. This is the breakdown for my library:

NULL 0
0 43
1 7
2 1790
3 1638
4 559
5 41
Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 2:54 PM

I mark everything a 3 after I look through it as a new release, and make sure it's in the collections I want it to be in.  Only true favorites get a 5, nothing else gets a different rating. I mainly use ratings to find favorites and to help determine new resources.

Posts 18757
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 3:35 PM

Todd Phillips:

Mark Barnes:

I tell you what, if 1 is awful, 2 is poor, 3 is average, 4 is very good, and 5 is excellent, then we users are pretty harsh critics, aren't we!

I don't know about others, but I have defaulted all of my resources to 2.  That would definitely skew ratings.  But I like it that way: If it's not rated, it's new, plus I can rate something a 1 (lower than default).  A resource gets a 3 if it's usable, 4 if I need it (hard to work without it), and 5 if it's outstanding.  Plus I haven't manually rated that many resources, so a lot of good resources get a 2.

That's the scheme I use too. I think I probably got the idea from you, Todd. So all my 2's definitely skew the ratings down. And I think some people assign a default rating of 1 star if they haven't rated it yet. And don't the 0's (not yet rated) get averaged in, too? Or are those not counted?

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 4:48 PM

Rosie Perera:
And don't the 0's (not yet rated) get averaged in, too? Or are those not counted?

Resources that have never been rated have a NULL value and aren't included. Resources that have been deliberately set to zero by right-clicking and choosing 'clear rating' are included.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 5:59 PM

Rosie Perera:
That's the scheme I use too. I think I probably got the idea from you, Todd. So all my 2's definitely skew the ratings down.

And I was thinking that I got it from you! Cool

Maybe Mark was the source.  Everyone's seen his videos.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 18757
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 7:09 PM

Todd Phillips:

Rosie Perera:
That's the scheme I use too. I think I probably got the idea from you, Todd.

And I was thinking that I got it from you!

Well, maybe I got them from someone else and you got them from me. I am pretty sure it was on the forums that I heard that tip, though, not from Mark's videos.

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 8:08 PM

Mark Barnes:
As requested, the report will now highlight hidden resources

??? But it's not hidden ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 578
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 9:18 PM

MJ. Smith:

TSK came up as hidden on my report also.

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 9:23 PM

Pam Larson:

Mine, too, and it lists as missing rather than hidden all the earliest Greek manuscripts and the Tragums.

I also seem to have lost book covers the last time I ran the report. Just blue rectangles.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5156
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 12:22 AM

Rosie Perera:
There are only 3 titles owned by more than 50% of us which I don't own, even though my library is only the 24th largest among the 250 people who have uploaded their catalogs. The item I own that is owned by the fewest others (perhaps only me and one other) is the Wesleyan Bible Commentary.

The highest ranked title others owned that I don't came in at 29% and was a Collection of Issac Watts Hymns.... its under $10, but  someone has found its way into my library over the last 10 years give or take. 

At the other end of the scale for resources I own that only 1% of people have I'm getting strange results and will put in a separate post shortly.

Edit Note: Forget that last thought.

The item I own that is owned by the fewest other people, well actually the lowest 2, since they came together in a pre-pub collection is the Christian Focus Preaching Collection http://www.logos.com/products/details/5677  Given it was a pre-pub this year would have thought  a few more people might have it, I think it might have taken more than my order to get it over the line, obviously the rest are not in this relatively small subset of Logos users.

Posts 5156
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 12:40 AM

Pam Larson:

MJ. Smith:

I get it come up twice once hidden, once not and they are both by Logos but different publication dates and the second copy is not the Thomas Nelson New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 1:46 AM

Andrew is right. There are actually three TSKs in my database:

If you have the first resource, then the second resource is automatically hidden by Logos. They do the same with some old Westminster Confessions too. It was confirmed once by Bob, but I can't find the thread now.

Anyway, the links above work, so you can open the 'hidden' version though that link, even though it doesn't show up in your library. You can also open it by typing logosres:26.0.1 in your command bar.

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 1:48 AM

Mark A. Smith:
Mine, too, and it lists as missing rather than hidden all the earliest Greek manuscripts and the Tragums.

I'll look into this.

Mark A. Smith:
I also seem to have lost book covers the last time I ran the report. Just blue rectangles.

Yes, sorry. Whilst trying to optimise the code I broke the 50px images. I'm working on it.

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 7:15 AM

Mark Barnes:
Whilst trying to optimise the code I broke the 50px images.

No problem. Thanks for all the effort you've already put in. It is a very interesting report.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:45 AM

Hi Mark:

Once, more than a year ago, I used your site to generate a report. It was very useful. However, I am having trouble getting back into your site.

Somewhere along the line, I lost my username and password to your site. I used your site to request my username by submitting my email address. It tells me to check my email, but there is nothing there. I have even checked the spam filters, and still nothing.

I have submitted a new email for a new account, but when your site tells me to check my email, I have nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Chuck

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:49 AM

OK, I have some good news:

• Speed issues should be completely solved:
    • The report now runs far quicker than it did before - down from 90 seconds per query to less than 2 seconds.
    • All images should now be cached by your browser, meaning subsequent re-runs of the report should be extremely quick (though browsers vary substantially I've found).
    • You can now choose to not show images, for an even quicker response.
  • Functionality is much improved:
    • You can now show just the books that are/are not in your library
    • You have three sorting options: Number of users, Average Rating, and Average Rating by Type (the latter one needs some dividers I think to make it clearer - that's coming). A report on resources not in your library sorted by Average Rating might show up some potential purchases.
    • Links now work better (opens in Logos if you own the resource, more intelligent Google search if you don't).
  • A note on bugs:
    • I'm seeing some resources that I've hidden showing up as if I don't own it. I think this is actually a bug in Logos.
    • If you're still getting blue images, they're probably cached. SHIFT+REFRESH should clear them.
    • I'm looking to the other reported problems.
Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:56 AM

Chuck Forsythe:
Somewhere along the line, I lost my username and password to your site. I used your site to request my username by submitting my email address. It tells me to check my email, but there is nothing there. I have even checked the spam filters, and still nothing.

Not sure why that is, but I've sent you an email direct.

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 10:23 AM

Mark, here's what I just got when doing the following report:

Everything in the report is highlighted in yellow:

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 10:44 AM

Thank you very much for responding to me and for all the work you do on behalf of Logos users!

Page 3 of 5 (88 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS