Logos4 will not open

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 122
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 20 2010 8:01 PM

When I try to open Logos4 an error box comes up saying there was a problem with Logos and regrettably had to be closed. I have used the Ctrl key to get it to stop at Sign In and selected each option, but with no success.

I am attaching my Log file and also the Logos4Crash.txt file. Sure hope someone can help with a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Posts 122

Couldn't find a way to put both files in the same post, so here is the Crash.txt file.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 8:10 PM

James, was there also a Logos4Crash.txt file and a Logos4Indexer.log and/or Logos4IndexerCrash.txt file in your My Documents/Logos Log Files folder? If so please send those along.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 8:20 PM

The crash log shows an error I have seen before. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how to fix it.

Just for additional information, have you updated Logos or has Windows been updated since the last time you used Logos successfully?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 122

Thanks Mark, for your reply. I have posted 2 of the 3 files and will post the other one here.

I upgraded to 4.1 without any problem and have used it since then without trouble. I did have to do a System Restore, but chose to use the restore that was made AFTER the upgrade.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:07 PM

The issue shows up in the crash log. It is

Error ID: 3715
Error detail: DatabaseVersionException: The database schema (43) is newer than the latest schema recognized by this code (42). The database cannot be opened.

I'll do a little more research as this error has come up before. Hopefully someone who knows exactly what to do will chime in.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27252
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:14 PM

James H. Schafer:

Thanks Mark, for your reply. I have posted 2 of the 3 files and will post the other one here.

I upgraded to 4.1 without any problem and have used it since then without trouble. I did have to do a System Restore, but chose to use the restore that was made AFTER the upgrade.

All your logs relate to 4.0d but only the crash log is recent and that suggested you had got files from 4.1 in your 4.0d installation. It appears that "contamination" happened because of the Restore, after you had updated to 4.1.

So it appears you are back on 4.1 and having no issues?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:15 PM

The only way to fix this problem seems to be to do a fresh install of Logos 4 software. If you have a significant number of resources, you will probably want to avoid having to download them again. You can find instructions on how to do this here: http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers You'd want to try Method 2.

I have not found an easier way to fix the problem.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27252
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:18 PM

Mark A. Smith:
The only way to fix this problem seems to be to do a fresh install of Logos 4 software.

Not necessary if he is having no problems with 4.1

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:26 PM

Dave Hooton:
Not necessary if he is having no problems with 4.1

Agreed, but I don't think that's the case. The crash log said he was running 4.0SR-2 less than two hours ago. If he did upgrade to 4.1 something happened. Perhaps his database is upgraded and his engine is not. (4.1 database and 4.0 engine.) He'll have to tell us.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 122
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 5:53 AM

Thanks Mark and Dave,

I can't open Logos4 period, neither 4.0 or 4.1. So I'll check out the Wikipedia suggestion and go from there. Thanks again, I'll post back to let you know what has happened.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 5:59 AM

Dave Hooton:

All your logs relate to 4.0d but only the crash log is recent and that suggested you had got files from 4.1 in your 4.0d installation. It appears that "contamination" happened because of the Restore, after you had updated to 4.1.

Dave is right (as usual). If 4.1 crashes, it's likely to be a different error, so we'd need to see a 4.1 log to try and solve that.

Posts 122
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 10:10 AM

Thanks Guys, I went to the Wikipedia site, downloaded the file and re-installed according to Method 2 as you suggested. I am now back up and running, although it is extremely slow from the time I click on a tab until it opens to be used. I guess I will be forced to not use Logos4 until I can afford to upgrade my computer. Spent all my money on Logos resources. Sad

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 10:37 AM

Glad you are able to get into Logos 4. Your computer specs are at the minimal end, so I am not surprised you find Logos 4 very slow. Quite a few of us have gone the upgrade or new computer route to get better speed out of Logos 4. 4 GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM drive (for a laptop, higher speed on a desktop) would help a lot, but probably are not worth doing at this point. Save for a new machine altogether.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 122
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 10:56 AM

How would I go about checking the speed of my HD. I have looked in Device Manager but see nothing to tell me there. Just got a message from Logos saying I had just purchased another pre-pub resource. Sure wish Logos was not so slow on my system, but it is almost at the point of being non-usable. Oh well, haven't tried Logos-3 in quite a while and it is still loaded, so I suppose I will check it out. 

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 11:46 AM

James H. Schafer:
How would I go about checking the speed of my HD.

If you have a laptop the speed is almost certain to be 5400 RPM. If a desktop, 7200 RPM. I don't think the RPMs are listed anywhere in one's machine. You need to know the model number of the HD and then Google that to find out the information. The model number of your hard drive is listed in Device Manager. Copy it and paste it into Google to find a listing of the drive and look for the RPM data there.

James H. Schafer:
it is almost at the point of being non-usable

That was my case a year ago but my computer was newer than yours, so I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit, a 7200 RPM drive, and 4 GB of RAM. Logos 3 is still faster, but my speeds in Logos 4 are now acceptable. While I hate to see you have to go back, Logos 3 is still a very good piece of software and all your resources should work in it. You may have to find and download the files for resources added since you went to Logos 4 so you have them all (and activate the L3 licenses), but you will have some speed back until you can replace your computer.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 122
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 12:04 PM

Thanks for the instructions and yes, my HD speed is 5400. I sure appreciate you taking the time to discuss this issue with me. May God bless you for your giving spirit.

Posts 27252
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 12:55 AM

Mark Barnes:

Dave Hooton:

Dave is right (as usual). If 4.1 crashes, it's likely to be a different error, so we'd need to see a 4.1 log to try and solve that.

I thought Mark's suggestion might be the way to go, but it was not clear that 4.1 was giving problems - hence my caution. Forum diagnosis is often a matter of interpretation!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 2:35 AM

James H. Schafer:
I am now back up and running, although it is extremely slow from the time I click on a tab until it opens to be used. I guess I will be forced to not use Logos4 until I can afford to upgrade my computer.

Are you sure Logos isn't still indexing after the reinstall? If it is, then it will slow down very considerable.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS