Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 89
Robin Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 25 2010 10:32 PM

Working on my assignment, switch back and forth between Microsoft Word and Logos, the program becomes slow in responding, lots of spinning wheel, then crashed. It happened very frequently when switching back and forth.

I have a float window open with 5 books on the tab and a passage guide window opens as second window.

Also I find it slow in responding (spinning wheel) especially when switching between books.

00213.Archive.zip

Mac OS 10.6.4, 2.2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4MB memory

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 11:23 PM

Robin Lee:
switch back and forth between Microsoft Word

It seems that Syncing can be a the weak spot of the programme at the moment. I would guess that by switching you are forcing the programme to sync data when you start using the new version. That will slow down your responses quite considerably until the data settles.

In another thread I even have trouble syncing mac to mac.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 11:30 PM

Wondering about free space on disk ?  Logos 4 needs several GB's of available sapce to index library.

Noticed many sets of:

09/25/2010 22:16:31 |  INFO | 3884 | LibraryCatalogIndex | Rebuilding library catalog index. 

09/25/2010 22:16:31 |  INFO | 3884 | LibraryCatalogIndex | Library catalog indexing canceled; deleting temporary files.

Crash occurred when Logos unable to allocate memory.

If have several GB's free, Idea Restart Mac => watch for Blue icon in menu bar.

While indexing, can open Indexer.log to monitor indexing progress.

If indexing does not complete, please post set of compressed log files.

Note: Logos Indexing is processor and disk intensive along with using lots of available memory - may want to restart Mac after indexing completes.

If indexing completes, bottom of Indexer.log should have lines like:

08/12/2010 23:24:08 |  INFO | 3 | LogosIndexerWorker | All background tasks have completed; exiting application. 

08/12/2010 23:24:08 |  INFO | 1 | LogosIndexerWorker | Canceling work. 

08/12/2010 23:24:08 |  INFO | 1 | MacIndexerProgress | Stopping IndexerProgress timer. 

08/12/2010 23:24:08 |  INFO | 1 | LogosIndexerWorker | Shutting down services.

Once indexing done, try launching Logos 4 Mac.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 1:42 AM

It looks to me that the problem is caused by indexing and syncing at the same time. There's a LOT of syncing going on (is it a fresh installation?). And everytime a sync arrives, the indexing cancels.

I would therefore pause the indexing until the syncing has stopped.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 7:54 AM

Apologies Embarrassed - living and learning - while seeing indexing messages, missed seeing interleaved sync messages of UserCreatedResourceContent (Notes ?) for many different resources.

Mark Barnes:
I would therefore pause the indexing until the syncing has stopped.

Concur

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 8:22 AM

Am I right in thinking (no access to PC version) that swapping between the two - as Robin says he was doing - is always going to lead to lengthy sync operations as the two versions try to get back in line with each other.

Do the, apocryphal, people who suffer PCs in the Church office and luxuriate with Macs at home actually find that this is a problem?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 8:44 AM

Mike Binks:
Am I right in thinking (no access to PC version) that swapping between the two - as Robin says he was doing - is always going to lead to lengthy sync operations as the two versions try to get back in line with each other.

Robin was swapping between Logos and Word, not Mac and Windows.

His syncs were from WAY back (some of them 2009), so it looks like it might be a new installation (which would also explain the indexing).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:52 AM

Mike Binks:

Once initial installation (resources and notes downloaded along with indexing), syncing seems OK - actively switch between 3 installations: primary Mac with 2 PC's (laptop and Mac virtual machine) - do have high-speed internet connection with monthly limit of 250 GB and recent peak download speed of 2.6 MB/sec.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 89
Robin Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 1:22 PM

Thanks guys!

So what is your recommendation? Should I rebuild my index?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 1:47 PM

Robin Lee:

Thanks guys!

So what is your recommendation? Should I rebuild my index?

Once sync done, rebuild index is good idea.  Added note 2 to Wiki page => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting#Indexing_Issues

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS