An anti-suggestion - on how to get access to all the works by a given author

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 26 2010 7:19 AM

My requirement is to be able to easily bring up from the library all the works I have by a given author, D.A. Carson say.

By Carson, I have books he has authored (such as How Long O Lord and his Pillar commentary on John); books he has edited (such as "Right wit God"); a commentary in a multi-commentary resource (Carson on Matthew in the EBC); various papers in different journals, such as his paper on Salvation in JETS; various dictionary articles (in resources such as the New Dictionary of Biblical Theology); and various chapters in books of papers, such as his paper on "imputation" in the "Justification: What is at Stake in the Current Debate").

In other words, just typing Carson into the library box doesn't bring up all the entries. Neither, alas does typing author:Carson into the search box, as the dictionary, chapters, and books don't recognise the "author:" field. (A notable exception, which gives me great hope for the future, are the Dictionary articles in the new "Evangelical Dictionry of Theology, 2nd Edition" resource. The other obvious option, of doing a search on "D.A. Carson" in the entire libaray (with permutations) is not selective enough, as it brings up all the references to D.A. Carson where or not he is the author of the work in which the quotation appears.

I have posted a couple of suggestions in the past, but basically I don't know if I have a really good suggestion as to how Logo should go about this.

The main question is whether this is entirely a question of the meta-data that Logos embeds in the resources, in which case I guess we will have a long wait for it all to be updated. The alternative, is to allow users to selectively break up resources (like Dictionaries or books of papers) into sub-resources, each will their own author field.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Cheers, Steve

Posts 2647
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 8:23 AM

The best you can do at this time is to create a collection using author:Carson and then search that collection or use the Cited By tool if it is a biblical reference. I understand this will not include journal articles etc. You could then create a collection of journals and perform the same search with the addition of AND author:Carson or possibly AND carson and see if that gets you additional information. Repeat the process for your collection of bible dictionaries.. The journals are good at tagging authors, not so much so the dictionaries, but including the AND carson would get you closer to what you want.

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:00 AM

John Fidel:

The best you can do at this time is to create a collection using author:Carson and then search that collection or use the Cited By tool if it is a biblical reference. I understand this will not include journal articles etc. You could then create a collection of journals and perform the same search with the addition of AND author:Carson or possibly AND carson and see if that gets you additional information. Repeat the process for your collection of bible dictionaries.. The journals are good at tagging authors, not so much so the dictionaries, but including the AND carson would get you closer to what you want.

Thank you for your suggestions.

The problem is distinguishing dictionary and chapter entries, from just references to an author's name. If one isn't familiar with the entirety of an authors work it is far too easy to miss articles if the author is frequently quoted by other writers - even when creating a collection.

I agree that if it is a search one wants to repeat often, defining a collection is probably the best that can be done at the moment, as it can be refined until one gets it right. But, I suggest, it is not really the whole answer for the future, as when one becomes interested in a new author, and one just wants a quick check to see what material one has by him or her, setting up a collection seems like overkill.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS