Word Biblical Commentary - can you advise me?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:13 AM

Todays blog seems to offer wbc at a price you can't afford to miss.  Best Commentaries seems not to comment on it.  Amazon tantalisingly cuts off its preview pages just when they begin to interest me.  Logos, as too often happens so far (will this change in the near future??), doesn't treat us to preview pages.  

I'm tempted, but would like people's advice/comments.  I realise I could cancel my order if I don't like it, but would prefer not to mess Logos around if I can avoid itHmm

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:23 AM

Nicky, it's a good set.  As with all sets, some are stronger than others (volumes).  Several volumes were textbooks for me in seminary: Exodus, Philippians, Thessalonians, Romans (James DG Dunn--love him or hate him, he is a major player in the "New Perspective" on Paul, and a must have). 

Pretty technical, each pericope offers:

1. Bibliography
  2. Author's translation
  3. Notes (text criticism)
  4. Form/Structure/setting
  5. Comment (detailed, verse by verse)
  6. Explanation (comment without the detail, essentially)

And of course, the usual introductory material.  In some ways it may be a bit dated (Thessalonians is by FF Bruce, eg), but it is still a standard and quoted by many.

It covers most of the Bible, save a few, like Acts (the originally intended author--a friend of my family--ended up not going through with it and no one replaced him).

If you can swing it, it is worth it.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:25 AM

if you would categorize it, I'd say it is conservative with a liberal bent.  lol.  Meaning, you are not getting something akin to Hermeneia or Anchor--but they are not afraid to push the envelope a bit (eg, Dunn, or AT Lincoln, who is not for Pauline authorship of Ephesians).

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:29 AM

Nicky, a question came up in my Sunday School class over a definition in Eph. ch 1 regarding the mentioning of the Spirit in relation to "the prince of the power of the air".  Out of all of my commentaries, it was as if the Word Biblical Commentary knew my question was coming and gave a great and thorough answer with multiple ways to look at it.  I was hugely impressed!  I also believe every level of learner can benefit from the way its presented.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:30 AM

Dan, How did you reply so quickly??  I'm orderingBig Smile

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:33 AM

nicky crane:

Dan, How did you reply so quickly??  I'm orderingBig Smile

. . . that's why I'm an MVP . . . but I shall never reveal my trade secrets  Cool

Stick out tongue  Have fun with it.  And, btw, I think the Albanian flag/eagle is one of the coolest.

Posts 761
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 8:17 AM

I hope to be able to afford this someday.

But Logos has offered this at $399 before and it has not been that long ago.

So even if I had the cash, it is kinda hard to get excited about $499.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 761
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 8:21 AM

BTW, I am not referring to an outside retailer, but something Logos has done fairly recently.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 26
Daniel B. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 8:51 AM

Nicky,

While I cannot speak for the whole set, volume 44 (Colossians, Philemon) is very good. Below is a screenshot.

One of my professors 'highly' recommends the series. Whereas Dr. William Mounce in his book Greek for the Rest of Us, speaking on scholarly, exegetical commentaries notes:

"I hesitate to list this series (WBC). Some of the volumes are excellent, but others are totally irrelevant for you. The theological and scholarly position of many of the Old Testament volumes is considerably different from most of the New Testament volumes. There is much heavy duty scholarly interaction, and they are often difficult to read because it does not use footnotes for the technical discussions and references. The Greek is throughout the text but with translation. My commentary on the Epistles is in there" (p. 249).

While, yes, the utilization of footnotes as opposed to parenthetical notes would have increased readability, I believe it is (from my limited exposure to volume 44) probably an excellent set. If I had the money, I would definitely buy the full set. Yes

Daniel

"A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministrations of a Christ without a cross" Helmut Richard Niebuhr: The Kingdom of God in America (speaking facetiously)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 9:25 AM

nicky crane:
I'm tempted, but would like people's advice/comments.

Knowing you from your forum posts I feel comfortable in saying you will probably benefit more from WBC than most Logos users. When I purchased it I quickly discovered how rusty my Greek had become after years of neglect. You won't have that hurdle to deal with. Smile

Dan is correct in stating the authors will sometimes reach outside of conservative evangelical borders.(He called it "liberal.")  This is a plus in my opinion. My limited experience with the series shows this to be in the externals only. The doctrinal conclusions are fairly conservative. I don't find the authors taking indefensible stands. WBC is well received across many denominational lines without becoming a fluffy love fest.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 142
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 10:08 AM

Jerry Bush:

I hope to be able to afford this someday.

But Logos has offered this at $399 before and it has not been that long ago.

So even if I had the cash, it is kinda hard to get excited about $499.

Jerry

I picked it up last year for $399. I use it all the time. It may not be the "best" commentary set but it was well worth $400. It seems to come on sale regularly so I think I would wait for the $399 price.

Jamie

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:39 AM

Matthew C Jones:
without becoming a fluffy love fest.

. . . but I LIKE fluffy . . . !  Stick out tongue

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 12:26 PM

Out of the 60 or so Word volumes I have 28 rated 5 star based on the recommendations of folks like Carson, Longman and others. These volumes cover 15 OT books and 17 NT books.

Personally I dislike the format of the Word commentary, but appreciate the content in many cases (not all), so live with the design. BTW Carson has a good turn of phrase for the format:

"Moreover, your sanctification must endure the irritating format of this series."

Carson, D. A. (2007). New Testament commentary survey (6th ed.) (124). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 12:54 PM

Thank you everyone.  I tried to reply twice before, but Logos hogs my slow internet connection when downloading!  I look forward to using the WBC tomorrow.  I see from the previews that it has interesting background to Exodus 1 and 2, which I'm studying in preparation for teaching the children about Moses in the bulrushes.  I'm amazed how much I haven't understood about these well known stories each time I prepare to teach them yet again! 

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 1:10 PM

Incidentally, tho I take the Bible in the form God has allowed it to reach us very seriously, I'm not hyper-conservative.  Though living in Albania for 17 years has taught me to have a much more Biblical viewpoint than I did before.  A concerned friend was worried about my changing viewpoint, feeling it was a result of living among these "primitive people"!  I thank God that he chooses to communicate with us through his Word, and want to understand his Word as far as possible for my own benefit as well as for that of those I teach.  Thank you, Logos, for helping us with this!

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 1:46 PM

The WBC has quite possible the worst format of any Bible commentary ever written (each passage gets looked at under several headings, which get in the way of flow and cause unneccesary repetition). That fact that people still buy and read it despite this says something for its other qualities.

Posts 21
Monty Bower | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 5:31 PM

Marshall's commentary on Luke in the NIGTC is almost unreadable due to its lack of footnotes or endnotes. A Greek professor of mine said he admired Marshall's insights - when he could find them.

i7-2630QM (2nd Gen), Radeon HD6770M 1G (DDR5), 8G DDR3, 1 TB 5400 HD, Win10 64

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 6:54 PM

I would purchase this set. I like to have more commentaries. Unfortunately, I don't have the finances to do so at this time. Perhaps next year.  Sad

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:59 AM

I'm over the moon with the commentary on Exodus 1 and 2.  I can skip the sections that don't interest me.  I'm learning so much about the background.  I tend to do my Bible study in short chunks, so lack of continuity doesn't bother me.  It was worth missing the POSSIBLE offer $100 less at some later date in order to have the commentary today (instant gratificationDevil),  And it looks as if it'll have the info about difficult specific verses that I don't always find in my other commentaries.Big SmileBig SmileWink

Posts 3181
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 2:52 AM

nicky crane:

I'm over the moon with the commentary on Exodus 1 and 2.  I can skip the sections that don't interest me.  I'm learning so much about the background.  I tend to do my Bible study in short chunks, so lack of continuity doesn't bother me.  It was worth missing the POSSIBLE offer $100 less at some later date in order to have the commentary today (instant gratificationDevil),  And it looks as if it'll have the info about difficult specific verses that I don't always find in my other commentaries.Big SmileBig SmileWink

Congratulation Nicky

Blessings in Christ.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS