How can we get even more academic journals in Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 2 2010 3:14 AM

I was lamenting the other day having to get out of my armchair and go to my local theological library just to look up papers in a whole host of journals .... when it would have been so much more convenient to just search them in Logos. Unfortunately, there a loads that just aren't in Logos yet. A journals, for me, are the best resources in my Logos library.

Some, I suspect, are not in Logos because no-one has thought to see whether there is any interest for them (in either the Logos community or in the publisher's mind)

Others because the publisher is not (yet) interested in publishing in the Logos format.

It is these ... especially publishers like Cambridge University Press and Oxofrd University Press / Clarendon ... that need to be motivated to publish in Logos.

I wonder if one way to do that would be to approach them with a petition ... showing them just what a market there would be for their product?

If that is the case, I wonder if we need new kind of pre-pub ... a pre-pre-pub. One where we indicate interest in a product (an academic journal) that the publisher hasn't even agreed to release to Logos in principle? Then Logos could approach CUP, for example, and say, hey, here is x thousand sales for Journal of New Testament Studies (or whatever), just let us convert them into the right format for you and handle the sales, and send along a nice big no-effort profit.

Then again - perhaps not. Do you have any good ideas about what journals we should get, and how we should get them?

Posts 118
Brooks Cochran | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 3:39 AM

I would agree. Catholic Biblical Quarter and Interpretation would be excellent journals to add. Also Journal for the Study of the Old Testament and Journal for the Study of the New Testament!!!!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 4:05 AM

I agree totally!

I would add to the list Communio, The Bible Today, and Homiletic and Pastoral Review.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 7:18 AM

Best bet: Send your requests to suggest@logos.com  they will be cataloged, spread sheeted and shown to the publishers.

See here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/22809/170146.aspx#170146

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 11:05 AM

I, too, have long wanted Interpretation, as well as others of its ilk.

Just not a fan of the current journal offerings.

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 1:13 AM

Thomas Black:

Best bet: Send your requests to suggest@logos.com  they will be cataloged, spread sheeted and shown to the publishers.

Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to organise ourselves in some way, so that we can see what petitions there are to sign on too?

Posts 6720
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:26 AM

Stephen I am in complete agreement with getting more Journals. The more the merrier. The Pre-pub idea that you suggested is a good idea.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:33 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:

Thomas Black:

Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to organise ourselves in some way, so that we can see what petitions there are to sign on too?

I wonder how helpful it might be if Logos would set up something like Uservoice for resources--we could vote for our top 10 suggestions.  Of course, I'd only like that if people were bright enough to vote for the resources that I want.  Surprise    (e.g. Bosch: transforming missions; several Easter Orthodox works; Gordon Fee collection, John Stott Collection, Stanley Grenz Collection, and maybe Dr. Seuss.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:50 AM

Dan DeVilder:
maybe Dr. Seuss.

Yes Big Smile

Seriously

Dan DeVilder:
I wonder how helpful it might be if Logos would set up something like Uservoice for resources--we could vote for our top 10 suggestions.

That seems like an excellent suggestion. I would suggest adding it to UserVoice, but then I would have to reorganize my votes again.

Posts 427
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 6:31 PM

The Cambridge "Novum Testamentum" sure would be nice. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 6:39 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:

Thomas Black:

Good point stephen, an important addenda to my original suggestion: 

1. Create a thread about the book/resource in question, include a note that you have emailed suggest a link to the thread. 
  2. Copy the link to the thread to your clipboard and 
  3. Send an email to suggest and include a link to the thread in the email.

Don't worry about the chicken/egg question (Which came first the forum thread or the email?)  Just follow the steps and both are done.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 6:40 AM

Wilson,

Sounds like you get to be the first to make a good suggestion per my instructions above.  [;p]  Probably should start a new thread though.  <SMILE>

Posts 427
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 6:51 AM

If I read every post I'd go nuts.  Sorry.

Wilson Hines

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:25 AM

Wilson Hines:

I see you're beginning to understand the questionable mental state of some of us MVP's.  :-)

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 4:01 PM

Thomas Black:

Wilson Hines:

I see you're beginning to understand the questionable mental state of some of us MVP's.  :-)

Yup, here's proof...  Wink

Dan DeVilder:

I wonder how helpful it might be if Logos would set up something like Uservoice for resources--we could vote for our top 10 suggestions.  Of course, I'd only like that if people were bright enough to vote for the resources that I want.  Surprise    (e.g. Bosch: transforming missions; several Easter Orthodox works; Gordon Fee collection, John Stott Collection, Stanley Grenz Collection, and maybe Dr. Seuss.

And to think that I saw it on the Logos forum. Smile

On second thought, maybe some of Dr. Seuss's books would actually be good in Logos:

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:16 AM

Rosie Perera:
Yup, here's proof...  Wink

OUCH!  Smile

Rosie Perera:

On second thought, maybe some of Dr. Seuss's books would actually be good in Logos:

excellent suggestions, Rosie!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:31 AM

Yes, I think I can afford the Dr. Seuss's books.  Smile

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS