Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:38 PM

I know some are upset about the forums and the loss of the newsgroups.  I have been using Mac Mail with great results. Here is what I did.

I subscribed to each forum on the site, so now I get emails from every post.

I set my Mail program o move all forum posts to a folder named "Logos"

Inside the folder, I have emails grouped by thread.  Just like in the Newsgroups, I delete / ignore the threads I don't care to read, and if I want to reply... a quick click on the link an post is all I need to make.

I do not navigate on the site at all and still get all the posts in a convenient format.

Here is a screenshot that might help give an idea...  maybe it will work for some of you.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 3846
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 1:14 AM

Joe Miller:

Inside the folder, I have emails grouped by thread.  Just like in the Newsgroups, I delete / ignore the threads I don't care to read, and if I want to reply... a quick click on the link an post is all I need to make.

I tried this - but it is not working for me.  There are two problems -

1. I am not able to post a reply (apparently you can) from within the mail reader 
  2. I cannot see who wrote a response without opening up the message.  I know it is hard to believe, but there are some authors I do not care to read.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 10:57 AM

Joe Miller:

I know some are upset about the forums and the loss of the newsgroups.  I have been using Mac Mail with great results. Here is what I did.

The ultimate irony. I used to get the newsgroups in my email client (Thunderbird). Now, to keep track, I have to use my email client to track conversations and my browser to participate in them.

And this is supposed to be easier?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 12:42 PM

Hi, Rich:

No need to do both ... if an emailed reply on a watched thread/conversation interests you, and you want to either check out prior posts in that thread OR respond to that particular post, simply CLICK on the underlined blue title in the email and BAM the forum auto-opens to exactly the right place, in a new IE tab.  You can click "Quick Reply" (as I just did) to respond, then once done, just close the IE tab and you're back to your email, which you can probably now delete.

I do this several dozen times (or more) per day, in the various fora I'm part of.  It becomes very fast and natural.

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 12:53 PM

JimDean:

Hi, Rich:

No need to do both ... if an emailed reply on a watched thread/conversation interests you, and you want to either check out prior posts in that thread OR respond to that particular post, simply CLICK on the underlined blue title in the email and BAM the forum auto-opens to exactly the right place, in a new IE tab.  You can click "Quick Reply" (as I just did) to respond, then once done, just close the IE tab and you're back to your email, which you can probably now delete.

I do this several dozen times (or more) per day, in the various fora I'm part of.  It becomes very fast and natural.

That's my point. You read it in your email client, click on it and it opens your browser. I used to have it all in my email client. I can't see how a two step process is better than a one step process -- especially when the two steps involve two programs. (No, I don't do web-mail either. I even download my gmail to my email client -- much more convenient and easier to read/filter, etc.)

BTW, I do know how to click on a link in my email.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 1:40 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

JimDean:

Hi, Rich:

That's my point. You read it in your email client, click on it and it opens your browser. I used to have it all in my email client. I can't see how a two step process is better than a one step process -- especially when the two steps involve two programs. (No, I don't do web-mail either. I even download my gmail to my email client -- much more convenient and easier to read/filter, etc.)

BTW, I do know how to click on a link in my email.

I'm not a big fan of forums or more specifically of this forum, but right now this is where the action happens to be.  I might question some of that activity such as a discussion of KJV-onlyism.  I happen to think they're a bit looney, but if they want to confine themselves to that version, have at it.  Just don't bother me with it.  I think, however, it is time to say something nice about the forum.  I do appreciate getting the posts in my e-mail.  That way I can look at them and delete those which don't interest me but reply, by clicking on the link, to those which do interest me for whatever reason.  In the Newsgroup, which I still prefer, it was necessary to go to the site itself to view the posts.  As to having to have additional software to read the newsgroup -- boo-hoo, that's such a great hardship, isn't it?  What's the prob?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 678
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 3:23 PM

Joe. Thanks. I'm going to try this. I already interact with Yahoo and Google groups this way. I really find the web forum hard to navigate with any efficiency but I like seeing what people are asking and chiming in when I can. I just need to do it with more efficiency than this particular "very pretty" web forum format allows.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 5:40 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
And this is supposed to be easier?
it is for me :-)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 5:41 PM

JimMcDaniel:
Joe. Thanks. I'm going to try this. I already interact with Yahoo and Google groups this way. I really find the web forum hard to navigate with any efficiency but I like seeing what people are asking and chiming in when I can. I just need to do it with more efficiency than this particular "very pretty" web forum format allows.
hope it works for you brother!

Posts 10
ronald eddy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 3:52 PM

That should work on your system.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 8:58 AM

Joe Miller:

I thought this was a very cool idea, so I said ME TOO! ME TOO! as this might solve the erratic RSS problem that I've had for awhile.  Well, with the version of Thunderbird that I have here (2.0.0.24 [reports show that v.3 is still buggy]), this doesn't work. Most of the time the subject line is like this sample: =?utf-8?B?UmU6IFRyeWluZyB0byBzdHVkeSBLSlYsIENPTVBBUklORyBNYXR0aGV3MjE6M. My direct e-mail address doesn't do HTML and converts HTML e-mails into a file called ATT1.HTML.

Oh, well. Back to the drawing board...

But, Joe, this was a GREAT idea and I am glad you posted it. I never thought to click on SUBSCRIPTIONS on the Forum and now I know about that.

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS