Poor mac performance

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 2 2010 6:22 PM

I am so terribly disappointed in the performance of the Mac version. I am using the final release version and find that it is nearly unusable for me. I am not sure if it is the app or something that may be happening just on my machine. I am fairly patient and will put up with much, but it has become intolerable when nearly every click or scroll results in the spinner for 5-10 seconds. I switched back to Parallels 6 and Win 7. I have not used it in many weeks. What a difference. Everything is so responsive.

Are any other Mac users experiencing this? I hope it is just me and that I can find some relief.

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 6:57 PM

Michael Paul:
Are any other Mac users experiencing this? I hope it is just me and that I can find some relief.

It is not just you. My experience is pretty much the same as yours.

Posts 2550
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 6:59 PM

For the most part Michael I find the Win and Mac comparable. However, depending on how you have Parallels set up, if you have it open along with L4 Mac, you may be depriving the program of some of the CPU and Memory that makes it perform better. This may not be the case, but I thought I would mention it. Also, I find that L4 Mac continues to load after the program is open, so I let it sit for a few minutes before jumping in and then don't close the program, but let it run in the background. I would prefer that these issues be resolved, but given some time I am sure they will.

I have a sample of L4 Mac video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeY_8f2oFYo that gives an example of how the program runs on my 2 yr old MBP.

I hope this helps. I don't open L4 Win in Parallels very often any more.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 7:19 PM

Michael Paul:

I did for a while in the Beta process but I cleared out some files that were causing contention and the improvement was dramatic. I get the impression that there are certain situations where syncing files created on the Windows side (possibly with Windows betas?) can cause issues. Post up logs as described in the sticky threads and see if one of the Mac devs can help. Big Smile

Posts 20
QWL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 7:12 AM

Michael Paul:

I am so terribly disappointed in the performance of the Mac version. I am using the final release version and find that it is nearly unusable for me. I am not sure if it is the app or something that may be happening just on my machine. I am fairly patient and will put up with much, but it has become intolerable when nearly every click or scroll results in the spinner for 5-10 seconds. I switched back to Parallels 6 and Win 7. I have not used it in many weeks. What a difference. Everything is so responsive.

Hi, Michael Paul

I was using VMWare to run Logos 4 Win but over the weekend, switched to the Logos 4 Mac GM version. It took me 12 hours to download 7GB AND for the indexing to complete. I pretty much left it alone to finish overnight. Once done, other than a faulty layout (resulting in Force Quits) which I subsequently deleted, the Mac version has been working fine. I find it faster than my VMWare Windows version and also because its now running native on my MBP, it looks like battery life is improved.  Its working well enough for me to move my VMWare Windows version off the MBP to an external hard disk.

Hope this encourages you to continue to try to find a fix.

Blessings,

WL

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 5:47 AM

What is your machine's configuration (i.e. CPU speed, memory, hard drives, etc...)?  That would help.  I have a certain configuration on my MB Pro 17 inch and mine works fine with L4 Mac, so I want to see if yours is comparable or not.

Posts 37
Chuckk Gerwig | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:15 PM

yep a bit disappointing.

i'm not too happy with logos 4 mac performance either and will probably switch have to back to fusion/ exp logos.  I have it on 2 different late model mac laptops and and a brand new  imac all with impressive tech stats and the mac version runs slow, program closes up, sometimes books won;t open etc, books open in random windows, lots of beachballs spinning, lots of lag.  It runs much better and generally faster for me on fusion/ xp / mac.  Hopefully it will get batter but it feels like it wasn't ready to release in my opinion.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 4:22 AM

Chuckk Gerwig:

yep a bit disappointing.

i'm not too happy with logos 4 mac performance either and will probably switch have to back to fusion/ exp logos.  I have it on 2 different late model mac laptops and and a brand new  imac all with impressive tech stats and the mac version runs slow, program closes up, sometimes books won;t open etc, books open in random windows, lots of beachballs spinning, lots of lag.  It runs much better and generally faster for me on fusion/ xp / mac.  Hopefully it will get batter but it feels like it wasn't ready to release in my opinion.

Since you are having problems on multiple machines, and since you have been using the PC version, I would suggest that you post logs and see if they don't spot a sync issue that might correct everything for you. I have seen this happen for others, and it would be great to see them help you as well. What you are describing is not expected behavior, especially with newer machines.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 7:11 AM

Dewayne Davis:

Chuckk Gerwig:

yep a bit disappointing.

Since you are having problems on multiple machines, and since you have been using the PC version, I would suggest that you post logs and see if they don't spot a sync issue that might correct everything for you. I have seen this happen for others, and it would be great to see them help you as well. What you are describing is not expected behavior, especially with newer machines.

Your experience does sound atypical. If you don't wish to go through the bother of troubleshooting, you may at least want to try deleting ~/Library/Application Support/Logos4 (that's the Library folder in your user folder, not on the root of the hard drive) and starting over from scratch—you'll have to re-download your books/sync data and reindex your library, but it's the surest way to make sure that there isn't any residual bad data from the alphas/betas.

Also, what version are you running (this can be found in the about panel)? It sounds like you may not be running the stable release.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 254
Jackie Watts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 7:11 AM

Why does my Bible search take so long? I searched for "enemies of God" in the NT, with 4 or 5 translations and it took almost 44 seconds to finish. This is the norm when I search for passages. Any ideas or this this par for the course? (Besides this, I am very pleased with the latest build.)

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 7:22 AM

Jackie Watts:

Why does my Bible search take so long? I searched for "enemies of God" in the NT, with 4 or 5 translations and it took almost 44 seconds to finish. This is the norm when I search for passages. Any ideas or this this par for the course? (Besides this, I am very pleased with the latest build.)

Most of the time is probably being spent in the UI. It's an area that still needs heavy optimization—and is getting the attention it deserves. There are also enhancements underway on our search engine, so all aspects of this should speed up, with time.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 2749
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 11:19 AM

I have L4M on a Mini  and L4 on an XP PC both have a marginal 2GB RAM. I'd have to say both versions are close, with an edge to the Win platform. I think this will shake out pretty soon. We are such an impatient bunch.  

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:13 PM

Jackie Watts:

Interesting... I ran this same search (using Logos 4 Mac Platinum on my 5 year old, 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB Ram MBP) and it took 3.10 seconds to return results for 'top bibles' (5 of them),

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:22 PM

Tom Castle:
using Logos 4 Mac Platinum on my 5 year old, 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB Ram MBP

Not to challenge your search result time (I also ran the search in about three seconds), but just to clarify - there are no five year old Macbook Pro's (unless MBP means something other than Macbook Pro). Macbook Pro's did not exist until 2008.

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:44 PM

Chris Roberts:

Tom Castle:
using Logos 4 Mac Platinum on my 5 year old, 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB Ram MBP

Not to challenge your search result time (I also ran the search in about three seconds), but just to clarify - there are no five year old Macbook Pro's (unless MBP means something other than Macbook Pro). Macbook Pro's did not exist until 2008.

Well sure they did. While I should have said 4 years old instead of 5, mine came out in May of 2006. QUOTE - Please note that this model was first offered as a "build-to-order" option starting February 14, 2006 and became a standard configuration on May 16, 2006.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook_pro_2.16.html OR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:09 PM

Well now, this is the second thing I've learned today! On the Wikipedia article, I should really be ashamed there, because before posting my 2008 comment I looked up the Macbook Pro page on Wikipedia and misread 2006 as 2008. I had thought 2008 was the original date and misread Wikipedia as saying 2008 rather than 2006. Blame it on the fonts.

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:16 PM

No issues, brother. If we stop learning --- we've stopped breathing Big Smile

Be blessed

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 37
Chuckk Gerwig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:44 PM

thanks David I did indeed include the Log file today in a separate post.  Hopefully there will be some fixes soon, its such a great tool it's a bummer to see it run so poorly.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 2:16 PM

Jackie Watts:

Definitely not the Norm. Mine took 3.26 without quotes and 1.73 with quotes.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 4
Walter Pahk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:05 PM

Here are my System Specs:

- iMac 27 Quad Core i7 @ 2.93GHz

- 12GBs of RAM

- Vertex 2 Solid State Drive 180 GBs

- ATI Radeon 5750 1GB RAM

- Sno Cat 10.6.4 with Leopard Graphics update

In a nutshell,  the Logos 4 interface is beautiful BUT very slow. I installed logos 4 since beta 22 and i am currently running 4.10.4.6016. 

This thing needs some SERIOUS OPTIMIZATION - To the Mac LEAD DEVELOPERS:

Is QuartzGL implemented in this thing? I simply cannot believe how slow re-sizing the screen is as well as scrolling. Logos on a mac like the one I spent a pretty penny on should be WAY WAY faster than my PC Core 2 Duo laptop with its 5400 RPM drive but embarrassingly - it's NOT.

I realize that optimizations are on the WAY but please - SPEND TIME to implement QuartzGL if you haven't already done so. For instance:

Comparing Adobe Acrobat 9 (Non QuartzGL) vs Apple's Preview (QuartzGL), the speed delta is night and day - literally. 

Thanks for listening !!!

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS