Announcement: Resource Type Change--Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Lexicon

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 45 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 5:22 AM

I really support these changes, though I'm disappointed they weren't publicised more clearly. I was away on holiday when this was announced, and spent ages trying to work out why large chunks of my collections weren't working properly any more. In my opinion this change should have been notified at least on the blog, and preferably also through the "My Messages" feature in Logos, to make sure everyone knew.

Messing with metadata affects user-created content, so I think Logos should be careful in making changes. (Perhaps the ideal would be a message that said when books have moved in/out of collections due to a metadata change.)

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 12:36 AM

Here's another 'edge-case', the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology. It's classified as an encyclopaedia, but although it's arranged first by English themes, all the main indexing is by Greek headwords. So it should be a lexicon in my view.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 12:38 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:
You should be able to find all Greek lexicons with "type:lexicon subject:Greek language"

This syntax is slightly incorrect. It should be type:lexicon subject:"Greek language" (note the quotes).

Posts 26601
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 1:32 AM

Mark Barnes:
This syntax is slightly incorrect. It should be type:lexicon subject:"Greek language" (note the quotes).

There is going to be an lot of confusion over the language of a resource for classification purposes. For example:

• with lexicons you must use subject:greek because they are all lang:English and the same lexicon* could also have subject:hebrew (it isn't essential to use subject:"Greek language").
  • with bibles you can use lang:English or subject:English, except that some bibles** are missing the Subject information and it is more accurate to use lang:English or lang:Greek.

* some lexicons could be missing subject:Aramaic when they definitely cover Hebrew. The Abridged and Enhanced BDB could be some of those?

** I've added the needed corrections to the wiki

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2
Zoomba Oomba | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:12 AM

I do consider the book of enoch as canonical as does the Ethiopian church, but lets remember the Bible being in the hands of the people was once considered heretical too. They wont understand it or be able to interpret it aright! That was the argument. Maybe they'll take it all as being true because they are not trained clergy. No, let's keep it as a bible.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:33 AM

Ace Hedger:

I do consider the book of enoch as canonical as does the Ethiopian church, but lets remember the Bible being in the hands of the people was once considered heretical too. They wont understand it or be able to interpret it aright! That was the argument. Maybe they'll take it all as being true because they are not trained clergy. No, let's keep it as a bible.

Ace,

Welcome to the Forums!

I noticed that you had commented about The Book of Enoch in a thread with that title. That's the best place to discuss it. This thread was started to discuss another topic. The purpose of the Logos Forums is to discuss how to use Logos Bible Software to better study the Bible and related texts. Since you have an interest in The Book of Enoch you can find helpful resources on it in Logos. Do you have a Logos base package. If you do let us know on the first thread you posted on what books you own. That way forum members might be able to help. Logos Bible Software is actually designed to help people from all walks of life to study the Bible for themselves.

Blessings in your studies!

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS