Updating error

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Ray Peterman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 12 2010 11:52 AM

I have Logos 4 version 4.1.3.4533. It has worked great since day one. I just noticed I did not have auto update on so I must have missed many. After starting program I see the rotating circles in the top right looking for updates and then a window says something interferred with program and it says shut down while windows tries to find problem.

If I open the program and quickly unclick internet connection and close program it will reopen ok the next time. I assume it is a problem with the updating procedure. I have tried for awhile and looked at wiki but am lost. I hate to reinstall due to all my bookmarks etc although I think there is a file I can save with that info. I have windows Vista on a newer pc, about a year old.

Ray

PS
I don';t think this would be an issue but I did install the old Logos 3 on my pc recently. I used my old CD's, then updated to 4 and it has been working fine. Its my desk top that has the issue.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:35 PM

Hi Ray, could you start by posting your crash log (Logos4Crash.txt from the Logos Log Files folder in your Documents folder) here? When responding to this post, click on the paperclip icon to attach a file, then locate the file on your hard disk.

We'll take a look at it and see if that tells us what might be going on, or else we might request further info from you for troubleshooting.

If it ends up that you have to reinstall, don't worry about losing all your bookmarks, etc. All of that is backed up on Logos's servers if you've been running with "Use Internet = Yes" and it will be restored automatically when/if you reinstall.

Posts 7
Ray Peterman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I hope this is the file. It reads a bit different.(Logos log files)

6366.Logos4.log

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:55 PM

From what I can tell (and I'm half guessing), the program is trying to update metadata but the version of Logos you run is too old to know how to process some of the new data. Which goes back to needing to update the software.

Does anyone know if there is a direct link to download the latest version of the Logos 4 PC Software? This can be done for the Mac, and I'd be surprised if a download link didn't exist for the PC. So Ray, if you can find the download link, just run the installation program for the latest version and it should update your installation without touching existing data.

Posts 9096
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:58 PM

You're encountering a bug in version 4.0a (which is getting close to a year old!) that has already been fixed in one of the free updates (I think it was 4.0c, but I don't remember for sure).

Unfortunately, this bug is preventing automatic updates from running (because the program crashes before it can download an update). You can update to the latest and greatest (v4.1, see http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/10/logos_bible_software_41_for_windows_now_shipping.html for more information) by downloading and running the installer from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

The 4.1 upgrade itself will be about a 44MB download; once it's installed, it will download (potentially) gigabytes of books, since there have been many updates and improvements since 4.0a came out.

Posts 7
Ray Peterman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2010 1:06 PM

WOW...you people are AWESOME! Thanks a bunch...now downloading.

Posts 7
Ray Peterman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2010 1:22 PM

I just wanted to give you an update.Those links Bradley gave me worked fine. I made it to the second download of 2.2 G and all is well. Thank you all so much. Praise the Lord for his people and this awesome software.

A sinner saved by Grace.

Ray

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2010 10:10 PM

Glad to hear it! Thanks for reporting back.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS