Top 10 Reasons L4 is Better than L3

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:08 PM

Every now and then, some folks hint they're not absolutely ecstatic over Logos4.  And other forum members seem completely surprised how that could be even possible. So here's my tongue-in-cheek top 10 reasons for Logos4. I'm sure 'some' will disagree a tiny bit. And I DO like Logos4.

#10 When L4 starts, I get to see it 'preparing my library'. This gives me time for a cup of coffee, check for email, etc. L3 is FAR too quick starting up.

#9 L4 gets rid of most 'menus', sub-menus, and sub-sub-menus. Instead everything is 'somewhere' in the display. By searching through the forums, wikis, the videos, and maybe even google, it's all so easy to understand. L3 used 'menus' and ALT-keys, along with the tedious grouping of common functions. It even had a serious 'help' section. What a waste.

#8 L4 has special hidden features that allow me to work faster. My current favorite is the 'fast exit option'. Since I don't use a printer, a CNTRL-P means L4 is GONE! In L3, it would wearily ask me if I wanted to install a printer.

#7 L4 gets rid of more of that 'white space' where resources present their 'text'. L3 only required the top menus and maybe some tool bars if I wanted. L4 is much better, with each window demanding support space. And each new window adds even more support space. Woohoo!

#6 In L4, I can't accidentally concentrate on a single resource by max'ing it, while tabbing among the others. In contrast, L3 was a real problem, since by clicking on the max-window, I could easily read the resource, and return later to the previous window setup. I got so tired of its predictability.

#5 And that leads to L4's 'surprise me' resource-opening-in-really-odd-places functionality. Plus the more floating windows I use, the more surprising it becomes! Compare that to L3 where it 'did the usual' and put the resource up front. I mean, like opening a resource was the goal?

#4 In L4 on my portable, I can't accidentally scroll pages using the touch pad. Even better, with my touch screen, I similarly can't scroll up/down. With all my other applications, I was constantly complaining to the software companies about how their software actually worked. L3 had the same problem.

#3 L4 is much more 'leasurely'. In L3, resources would just 'pop' open for use. I was ALWAYS accidentally using the left/right arrow keys and moving between parallel resources. It just seems to me, a slower way of working is much to be preferred. Plus it gives me extra time to really appreciate L4's 'coolness'.

#2 L4's searches are far superior to L3. First, of course, if that great 'surprise me' as to where the search window will 'land'. Then I get to try and remember all the different colored text to click on and correctly set. I mean, L4 has 'search' the search before you even search. Compare that to L3 .... booooring!

#1 After over a year, and all the advantages L4 has, I don't get that much use out of L3 anymore. Sure, I use L3 to study the Bible, read my commentaries, quickly highlight, make notes, and analyze the detailed text. Generally get 'work' done. But when it's time to 'relax' and sit back where time is no object, L4 is where I go!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:24 PM

Denise,

You get the award for best tongue-in-cheek post.  What wit!  LOL  Perhaps you should enter the NaNoWriMo next month-you have a great start.

EDIT:  I think this is better than Letterman.   Yes

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:35 PM

Denise Barnhart:

Every now and then, some folks hint they're not absolutely ecstatic over Logos4.  And other forum members seem completely surprised how that could be even possible. So here's my tongue-in-cheek top 10 reasons for Logos4. I'm sure 'some' will disagree a tiny bit. And I DO like Logos4.

#10 When L4 starts, I get to see it 'preparing my library'. This gives me time for a cup of coffee, check for email, etc. L3 is FAR too quick starting up.

#9 L4 gets rid of most 'menus', sub-menus, and sub-sub-menus. Instead everything is 'somewhere' in the display. By searching through the forums, wikis, the videos, and maybe even google, it's all so easy to understand. L3 used 'menus' and ALT-keys, along with the tedious grouping of common functions. It even had a serious 'help' section. What a waste.

#8 L4 has special hidden features that allow me to work faster. My current favorite is the 'fast exit option'. Since I don't use a printer, a CNTRL-P means L4 is GONE! In L3, it would wearily ask me if I wanted to install a printer.

#7 L4 gets rid of more of that 'white space' where resources present their 'text'. L3 only required the top menus and maybe some tool bars if I wanted. L4 is much better, with each window demanding support space. And each new window adds even more support space. Woohoo!

#6 In L4, I can't accidentally concentrate on a single resource by max'ing it, while tabbing among the others. In contrast, L3 was a real problem, since by clicking on the max-window, I could easily read the resource, and return later to the previous window setup. I got so tired of its predictability.

#5 And that leads to L4's 'surprise me' resource-opening-in-really-odd-places functionality. Plus the more floating windows I use, the more surprising it becomes! Compare that to L3 where it 'did the usual' and put the resource up front. I mean, like opening a resource was the goal?

#4 In L4 on my portable, I can't accidentally scroll pages using the touch pad. Even better, with my touch screen, I similarly can't scroll up/down. With all my other applications, I was constantly complaining to the software companies about how their software actually worked. L3 had the same problem.

#3 L4 is much more 'leasurely'. In L3, resources would just 'pop' open for use. I was ALWAYS accidentally using the left/right arrow keys and moving between parallel resources. It just seems to me, a slower way of working is much to be preferred. Plus it gives me extra time to really appreciate L4's 'coolness'.

#2 L4's searches are far superior to L3. First, of course, if that great 'surprise me' as to where the search window will 'land'. Then I get to try and remember all the different colored text to click on and correctly set. I mean, L4 has 'search' the search before you even search. Compare that to L3 .... booooring!

#1 After over a year, and all the advantages L4 has, I don't get that much use out of L3 anymore. Sure, I use L3 to study the Bible, read my commentaries, quickly highlight, make notes, and analyze the detailed text. Generally get 'work' done. But when it's time to 'relax' and sit back where time is no object, L4 is where I go!

You do make some valid points here. I think I might give L3 a try.

Has anyone seen my Tozer CD? I can't seem to find it and I really want it in my L3 library.

Oh well. Tozer isn't that important. I have my Strong's Concordance. Now I can Highlight it! Let me set up my highlighting style....where was that menu option, I know its around here somewhere.

There it is!...now check...check.....check check check...yelp, I want that box too. check check check check check....

oops. forgot to save it...

check...check.....check check check...yelp, I want that box too. check check check check....Save.

Great. Oh yeah. I need to find that video where they walk you through setting up all the key linking.

(15 minutes later) Oh, there's the video. Now I can watch it!

(15 minutes later)

There we go. Key linking is now set up. Now I can arrange all the pretty icons the way I want to. And install all kinds of toolbars!

Finally. I can do my Bible Word study on Strongs number 666.

lets see...Bible word study is populating....still populating...poooppuuulllattttinngg (ZZZZZZ....ZZZZZZ...ZZZZZZ....) oh.....my laptop battery died. It's late anyway. I'll go to bed and continue in the morning.

Good morning. Time to get back on my Strongs word study....

time for that Bible word study again....populating....still populating...sure do wish Logos would save my guides. I'll have to suggest that in the newsgroup for the upcoming version.

Finally, my Bible Word study is complete....I just wish I had those word rings and a customizable guide, but oh well...at least I have lots of Icons!

I bet I could learn something by searching my library for strongs number 666. Never mind, I have a meeting in an hour, no time to search my whole library. But I can set up a collection!!!! lets see, I'll need that book, and that book, and that book, and that book and that book, and that book, and that book, and that book, and that book.....

10 minutes till I have to be at my meeting. I should be able to search my collection in 10 minutes. You know what, there's a really good book on this strongs number. I think I'll order it! Great idea. click, click, click...there ordered. It will arrive in the mail in 7-10 business days.

Posts 705
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:43 PM
Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:44 PM

Phil,  You get the award for the best hyperbole.  NaNoWriMo can use you, too.  Yes

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:46 PM

Frank Sauer:

And, Frank, I think you might qualify as a ghost writer.  Big Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:00 PM

Denise Barnhart:
So here's my tongue-in-cheek top 10 reasons for Logos4. I'm sure 'some' will disagree a tiny bit. And I DO like Logos4.

Cute Smile

But one thing i really like about L4 verses L3, Maps!!!

Thanks for the humor!

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:19 PM

I found both Densise's and Philip's posts quite amusing. Thanks for the chuckle.Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:41 PM

Denise Barnhart:

Yes

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:45 PM

Hee, hee. Very funny, Denise. And touché, Philip! Smile

Joan Korte:

Frank Sauer:

And, Frank, I think you might qualify as a ghost writer.  Big Smile

Also very funny!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:57 PM

Rosie Perera:
Hee, hee. Very funny, Denise. And touché, Philip! Smile

Yes, after submitting my post I realized that it could come across as somewhat defensive (the only reason I will not call it what you called it is because I don't want to search for how to make the fancy e.) so let me qualify my previous post with the following remarks.

1) I laughed throughout Denise's post.

2) Like a book that rides the wave of someone else's creativity and work my post was a cheap follow up to genuine effort.

3) If I have done any wrong I have a sad story to tell you that should get me off the hook.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 4:27 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Rosie Perera:
And touché, Philip!

(the only reason I will not call it what you called it is because I don't want to search for how to make the fancy e.)

Do what I do. Copy/paste (from my post).

Actually, you can enter them in Word by pressing Ctrl+apostrophe, followed by the letter you want the accent over, in this case e. Then copy from there and paste into wherever else you need it. You can do that with all other accented characters, too. Just precede the letter with Ctrl + the punctuation mark that reminds you most of the accent you're trying to produce (colon for umlaut : ü; back-quote for grave ` è; caret which requires Ctrl+Shift+6 for circumflex ^ ô; and at-sign for the little circle over a letter @ å; those are the main ones, but there are some others like comma for cedilla , ç; slash for the scandinavian o with a slash through it / ø; ampersand for the German double-s & ß).

Posts 1151
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 4:55 PM

You forgot L4's best feature - it allows you to have L3 installed on the same computer at the same time. Even better, the book files are incompatible so you have everything twice just in case you lose some data. This also allows you to test your hard drive's capacity. I have 13.4GB left which is great - it even ensures that  my hard drive is highlighted in red every time I look at My Computer.

:D

Tom

P.S. My L3 folder is 14.1GB and my L4 folder is 22.8GB, proving that L4 is considerably better at testing HD capacity than L3!

Posts 27234
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 6:48 PM

Tom Reynolds:
P.S. My L3 folder is 14.1GB and my L4 folder is 22.8GB, proving that L4 is considerably better at testing HD capacity than L3!

Did you get a cheap 40GB SSD?Big Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1718
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 7:22 PM

LOL. Well, done, Denise.

I'm not going to spoil your creative spread with suggestions.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:52 AM

Rosie Perera:
Actually, you can enter them in Word by pressing Ctrl+apostrophe, followed by the letter you want the accent over, in this case e. Then copy from there and paste into wherever else you need it. You can do that with all other accented characters, too. Just precede the letter with Ctrl + the punctuation mark that reminds you most of the accent you're trying to produce (colon for umlaut : ü; back-quote for grave ` è; caret which requires Ctrl+Shift+6 for circumflex ^ ô; and at-sign for the little circle over a letter @ å; those are the main ones, but there are some others like comma for cedilla , ç; slash for the scandinavian o with a slash through it / ø; ampersand for the German double-s & ß).

Are you serious??? You have to go through all that trouble to write perfectly normal letters? So glad I'm using a Swedish keyboard!! For me åäö have keys like any other letters (they are separate letters, not accents!). For çéßüæœø and a few of the Greek letters I just add the opt-key. èê I do have to make in two steps, but I have normal keys to do it with: `^. You're saying you have none of this??

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 8:13 AM

fgh:

Are you serious??? You have to go through all that trouble to write perfectly normal letters? So glad I'm using a Swedish keyboard!! For me åäö have keys like any other letters (they are separate letters, not accents!). For çéßüæœø and a few of the Greek letters I just add the opt-key. èê I do have to make in two steps, but I have normal keys to do it with: `^. You're saying you have none of this??

We have none of those letters with diacritical marks on them in our alphabet so we don't have them on our keyboards. There are a very few words in English (borrowed from foreign languages) which technically should be spelled with diacritical marks, such as naïve, or née, but people usually spell those without the accents. Even my friend André spells his name without the accent when typing, since our keyboards don't have é on them. So yes, if we want to type in a foreign language we do have to go through some gyrations. Actually, I take that back. Since I live in Canada (though a US citizen) I do happen to have a computer with a French Canadian keyboard embedded in it. But I don't know how to access it. There are tiny red letters on some of the keycaps and a special red Alt key to the right of the space bar which apparently is for typing those red letters, but (a) it doesn't work (I probably have to install the French Canadian keyboard in Windows in order to access it) and (b) I cannot for the life of me see red ink on black keys. So I just use the system I learned when I was working on Word that has always worked for me. I don't even have to think about it anymore, it's so automatic.

And for those who can't or don't want to memorize those keystrokes, there's always the Insert Symbol command in Word, which gives you access to all the foreign characters you could imagine, not just accented ones. Or we can copy and paste from somewhere that shows the foreign words: В начале сотворил Бог небо и землю. (Gen 1:1 in Russian, pasted from Logos.)

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:18 AM

I just switch languages from  English to Albanian to get ë and ç,  Greek to get all sorts, ασκπυ ετψ, etc.  Problem is with some languages I find it difficult to remember where the keys are.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:38 AM

Rosie Perera:
We have none of those letters with diacritical marks on them in our alphabet so we don't have them on our keyboards.

Well, I don't have çèêßüæœø in my alphabet and I can still write them pretty easily... It's not really about whether you have them in your own alphabet, it's about whether you respect other peoples enough to want to write at least their names correctly. Swedes do; Americans don't. I'd never even write a Danish name with a Swedish ö instead of a Danish ø (same letter), but Americans have no qualms replacing it with an o (totally different letter). To me that's extremely rude. It's the ultimate you're-so-totally-nothing-to-me-that-I-can't-even-be-bothered-to-learn-your-name-properly. (I am not, of course, accusing you personally. It's a national superiority thing, where people adapt to the keyboards, and the keyboards adapt to the people.)

And, again, many of these are not diacritical marks, they are separate letters, with separate places in the alphabet. Writing Bjorn instead of Björn is not like writing Andre instead of André (though I wouldn't do that either); it's like writing Duck instead of The-name-that-will-be-censored-if-I-write-it-out. And sometimes these things give very unfortunate results. We have a Swedish county called Hörby. Because the internet refuses to accept ö, their web address became horby.se. Unfortunately horby in Swedish means something like 'the w-h-o-r-i-n-g village'... (I presume that's another word that will be censored if I spell it out normally?) Not so very amusing for the people that live there... 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:43 AM

nicky crane:

I just switch languages from  English to Albanian to get ë and ç,  Greek to get all sorts, ασκπυ ετψ, etc.  Problem is with some languages I find it difficult to remember where the keys are.

What about Czech letters like ě, š, č, ř, ž, ň, ť, ý, á, í, é, ů, ú... or Polish ones like ł, ą, ę, ż, ó, ń, ć, ś...? Cool

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS