Do I need Grudem's Systematic Theology?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2591
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 22 2010 4:21 AM

I have several other systematic theology resources including Geisler's 4 volume set, Charles Hodge and John Miley's 2 volume set.  I've not read Grudem so I don't know what I am missing.

By the way, according to today's blog, it is 20% off.

Thanks,

Ron

Posts 615
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 4:23 AM

It is a good reference to have.  Although my favorite Systematic Theology is Thomas Oden's, I do find Grudem's theology a good quick reference.

John

Posts 3754
True North | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 5:26 AM

Grudem is good and he is Reformed (baptistically in his theology) However you may want to check these out as well: Never buy a book just because it's on sale, always buy a book for it's substantiality.

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/NSYSTHEO

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/SYSTHEOCULVER

http://www.logos.com/products/details/5309

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 5:45 AM

Ronald Quick:

I have several other systematic theology resources including Geisler's 4 volume set, Charles Hodge and John Miley's 2 volume set.  I've not read Grudem so I don't know what I am missing.

By the way, according to today's blog, it is 20% off.

Thanks,

Ron

I don't own Grudem, but he is highly thought of, and as someone said, Reformed.  He is a bit more open to charismatic type gifts (used in the popular meaning), too.  I just haven't gotten around to buying him yet.  Here are some other recommendations:

Good One-Volume works:

1. Millard Erickson's Christian Theology: Clear writing style.  Attempts to be fair to opposing positions.  Reformed.
  2. Jack Cottrell's The Faith Once for All: Very clear style, easily understood.  Good thinker.  Arminian.

Some larger works:

1. Carl F. H. Henry's "God, Revelation, and Authority."  Well respected, more in depth.  Reformed.
  2. Donald Bloesch's Christian Foundations.  My first book I read of his was on Prayer.  I like his style, good thinker.  Reformed.

I also recommend (as above) Oden's work.  His strength is in looking at, and compiling, the whole history of thought on the subject.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 5:53 AM

Thanks, Dan, for the list.

I have Erickson and Grudem in print, the first in English, the latter in Russian translation.

Will also try Carl F. Henry in Logos.  The blurbs are good.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 431
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 6:52 AM

IMHO, you can't get enough Systematic Theology, but then again, what are your purposes?  Academic, research?  The you must have it.  Pastoral?  You probably have plenty in what you listed.  

Wilson Hines

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:14 AM

Timothy,

I can't remember if you have said what Logos base package you have but

Carl. F. H. Henry's     "God, Revelation and Authority" (6 Vols.) is included in Scholar Gold and above (You may already have it.)

I like Dan's recommendations. I bought Jack Cottrell's book & I'm very pleased with it Smile  

I have Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology on my "short list" (prioritized wish-list.) I have many of Geisler's other works and like his clear thinking.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1556
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:18 AM

Grudem's Systematic Theology is very readable. Each chapter ends with questions for personal application, a bibliography, a scripture memory passage, and a hymn. At the end of the book there is a glossary of special terms.

There are a lot of good works on systematic theology available (I would like to add Calvin's Institutes to the list of works already mentioned), but I don't think you have to buy all of them (in fact, the only book you really need is your Bible). On the other hand, if you want an extra systematic theology Grudem is a good choice.

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:20 AM

Wilson Hines:

IMHO, you can't get enough Systematic Theology, but then again, what are your purposes?  Academic, research?  The you must have it.  Pastoral?  You probably have plenty in what you listed.  

Yes I tend to collect Systematic Theologies and enjoy reading them. My wife thinks that makes me a little strange. I don't read to her as much as I did when in

seminary. As far as Grudem's Systematic Theology goes I think you will find it helpful for teaching. At the end of each section he has the following:

• a list of "special terms" linked to the glossary.
  • a number of questions for personal application
  • a bibliography listing other evangelical theologies on the subject(w/page numbers [some linked to volumes you may have in Logos])
  • a bibliography listing Roman Catholic theologies on the subject (again with page numbers)
  • a list of other works on the subject
  • Grudem concludeds each section with a hymn and a Scripture memory passage

Here are a couple of snap shots. . .

Posts 431
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:21 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Timothy,

I can't remember if you have said what Logos base package you have but

Carl. F. H. Henry's     "God, Revelation and Authority" (6 Vols.) is included in Scholar Gold and above (You may already have it.)

I like Dan's recommendations. I bought Jack Cottrell's book & I'm very pleased with it Smile  

I have Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology on my "short list" (prioritized wish-list.) I have many of Geisler's other works and like his clear thinking.

Purely an IMHO statement here, but take G,R,& A and that is about as complete as for which one could ask.

Wilson Hines

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:34 AM

Hendrik-Jan van der Wal:

Grudem's Systematic Theology is very readable. Each chapter ends with questions for personal application, a bibliography, a scripture memory passage, and a hymn. At the end of the book there is a glossary of special terms.

There are a lot of good works on systematic theology available (I would like to add Calvin's Institutes to the list of works already mentioned), but I don't think you have to buy all of them (in fact, the only book you really need is your Bible). On the other hand, if you want an extra systematic theology Grudem is a good choice.

Hendrik beat me before I could finish my reply. I like his addition of Calvin's Institutes. I also like Reymond's A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith and Shedd's Dogmatic Theology. Henry Thiessen's work is currently on Pre-pub as well. . .

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/7549

Posts 283
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:49 AM

I would highly recommend Grudem, as well as Millard Erickson's one volume. They are two of the most used texts in conservative, evangelical seminaries today. I have each of them in print and will soon purchase them in Logos just to have them available in searches, etc. I have read Stong's, Hodge's, Grudem's, and Erickson's systematic theologies and believe Grudem to be the most readable and strongest overall - although all very good and worth having.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:55 AM

As true to the heart of a genuine text book as Grudem's Systematic Theology is, it seems to have a new cover design every spring I see it on book store shelves.  

by way of the copyright page, I see I have a hardcopy of the 1994 original edition of the text with a 2000 addition of Appendix 6 and possibly an updated glossary.  I assume this is what Logos sells or is there an even more updated edition?

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:57 AM

When I saw this listed today, I found that I already have it.  I think I picked it up as a L3 item two or three years ago.  

I have learned to double check my library before making a purchase - I often have forgotten what I already own.  Also, LOGOS does not always have it right.  I spent a few minutes dreaming about the Portfolio edition this morning and discovered several works that the update wizard said would be added to my library that were already there.  If and when I really do upgrade, I will make a list of these books and see if there would be an additional discount available from that posted or given to me at that time.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:01 AM

Floyd that would be really cool if the upgrade calculator was able to analyze one's account and highlight which books they already own to help make their decision.  Then again this would probably do more discouraging possibly.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:47 AM

Paul Newsome:
Floyd that would be really cool if the upgrade calculator was able to analyze one's account and highlight which books they already own to help make their decision.  Then again this would probably do more discouraging possibly.

Sadly, it does - but just not very accurately.  The books I own have a gray background.  Those that I do not own have a yellow background.  The problem is that I own some of the yellow backgrounded books.  I would guess a dozen or so - though some are sets, so it probably is actually a few more books than this.  It probably would not make a bid difference - a couple of hundred dollars, but that is 10% of the upgrade price for me.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 19634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:50 AM

Paul Newsome:

The new website will no longer propose books as possible upgrades for you that you already own, and when you're browsing or searching for titles there will be a clear indication of whether you own a book already, so you won't be able to accidentaly buy something again. I think you won't even be able to do it intentionally. There wouldn't be any point, since you can't buy a resource as a gift for someone else if you buy it in your own account; you'd have to buy it in their account with your credit card (which can be arranged by a call to Sales). Also I suspect you'll be able to filter out of the results view any books that you already own to make it easier to browse for potential new purchases. I'm really looking forward to the new site. I know they have been starting to test it internally, but I'm not sure how much longer it will be before it gets rolled out.

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2010 11:05 AM

Daniel Bender:

I've had Grudem's hard copy forever,  just got the electronic version becase it was on sale and "down-loadable". I had Grudem for class way back when about 1990 or a bit earlier?.. and at that time we were using http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/STBERKHOF . I have the hard copy Berkhof, and go to it every once in a while, but thought it was a bit pricey... besides that, I'm not that reformed Big Smile, though I've learned a lot of theology from folks like Lloyd-Jones, another good example similar to Carl F. H Henry (which I have and really use a lot), is "Lloyd-Jones, D. M. (1996). God the Father, God the Son. Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books."

I don't see any David F. Wells in Logos, but I would recommend we get some.. He brings a differnet look to how to do theology, "Biblcal Theology" in his books "No Place for Truth" and God in the Wasteland"

OK, where were we... oh yeah, get Grudem, it's a good buy!!!

Yup, love Theology!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS