How do you get useful search results from monographs in Passage Guide?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 97
Andreas Holmberg | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 24 2010 12:45 PM

Hello

There are a some monographs that really would benefit from being tagged and indexed as bible commentaries. If they were the Passage guide would return more useful and relevant results.

Personally I'm particulary thinking of two resources: "Jesus in Context: Background readings for Gospel Study" and "Preaching from the Lectionary: An Exegetical Commentary". I'm sure there may be others that I'm not aware of. DO give me suggestions on monographs to add to my very short list!

To try to overcome this I've created a small collection of monographs (mytag:not tagged as commentary) and added the collection to my passage guide. However, I find the search results to be of mixed quality and relevance.

Has anyone come up with a better solution or some smart way of actually finding what's relevant to a given Bible passage in a monograph? I know some resources can be browsed via "Search results" but for instance "Jesus in Context" only has Article and Page as browsing options.

Any ideas?

Pastor in Stockholm, Church of Sweden

Posts 27037
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 4:18 PM

I doubt that there any monographs that should be a "Commentary" - perhaps "Bible Notes" at best. Both have articles organised by bible passages but the extent & quality of their coverage determines that they are "Notes" or "Commentary". Both types have a "Bible" index (see below) so that their articles can be accessed directly; which means you can use both in the Commentaries section of PG.

If a book does not have a Bible index put it in a collection and add it to the Collections section of PG. They can provide useful results.  For example, run a PG on Ex 20:1-17 (The Ten commandments). "Topical bibles" usually have many passages organised under a heading or topic but New Nave's Topical Bible provided no discussion in its Commandments topic. Nelson's Complete book of bible Maps and Charts provided some useful information under The Ten Commandments. A few theological books also had useful information. But most of the books in my Monographs collection had the passage in a section with little relevance or no discussion! You can rate them by running a few passages like this and refine the collection to be something like:-

type:monograph rating:>3

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27037
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 4:44 PM

Andreas Holmberg:
Has anyone come up with a better solution or some smart way of actually finding what's relevant to a given Bible passage in a monograph? I know some resources can be browsed via "Search results" but for instance "Jesus in Context" only has Article and Page as browsing options.

Search Fields (eg. under "All Text" in Basic Search) are not relevant to bible passages as they relate to tagged portions of the text. Only books with Bible in their Indexes (browsing options?) will be directly relevant to bible passages and they are usually type:Commentary or type:Notes. Monographs won't have this index so put them in the Collections section of PG and rate them according to their usefulness over time. If you want to search them directly use something like

<Ex 20:1-17>

in a Basic Search, Ranked (this will give the same results as PG).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 97
Andreas Holmberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 25 2010 12:02 PM

Alright. Thanks for sharing your insights.

The idea of sorting useful monographs by assigning them a higher star rating is useful. I'll try it as I add more monographs to that specific collection.

By "browsing options" I mean the options that appear when clicking the little triangel that sits just to the left of the up and down arrows to the right on the locator bar. When running a basic search one of the options there (in many resources) will be "Search results" which I find very useful. However when running a passage guide Logos does not interpret the typed in Bible passage as a "search" and therefore other resources (regardless of type) will not have "Search Results" as an option in the drop down list. This, to me, would be useful.

Again, thanks!

Pastor in Stockholm, Church of Sweden

Posts 27037
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 25 2010 6:38 PM

Andreas Holmberg:
However when running a passage guide Logos does not interpret the typed in Bible passage as a "search" and therefore other resources (regardless of type) will not have "Search Results" as an option in the drop down list. This, to me, would be useful.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other resources" but a resource has to be searched in some way before the position of the result is known! Are you just expressing a desire to have PG setup the "Search Result" browse option?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS