Two new resources: SBL Greek NT and Apparatus

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:37 PM

I just got a 10 MB download and when I checked to see what was new found two new resources:

an SBL Greek NT and Apparatus. Since I did not see this on pre-pub and never ordered it, I assume it is a nice, free upgrade to my Logos software. Hope I am not revealing any secrets here, but didn't see any announcement of this. I am grateful and will now hope to have time to explore it a bit.

EDIT: Here's the official announcement and more info: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/25258.aspx

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:44 PM

If it's a secret, I'm in on it.  I got the same download a bit ago. Yes

K

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 200
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:47 PM

I am in on this secret as well. Thanks Logos for the nice gift! Big Smile

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:51 PM

I got 'em too Smile nice highlight to my Wednesday afternoon. Can't wait to check it out later today.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:55 PM

A little reading of the Introduction reveals some additional information. This was a joint effort between SBL and Logos. It is a free edition available to all. It was created to allow people without access to a critical text to get one for free.

It is a new critical edition of the text based primarily on Westcott and Hort, but with variances from three other sources taken into account (and in some cases, apparently, beyond that). The apparatus is quite accessible, although it is limited to the four main texts that were used to form the new text. You will not find reference in the apparatus to miniscules, papyri, etc., just to the four compared texts.

Interesting, but for many of us it will not replace the UBS or NA text (and apparatus).

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:56 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I assume it is a nice, free upgrade to my Logos software.

Mark A. Smith:
didn't see any announcement

Mark A. Smith:
I am grateful and will now hope to have time to explore it a bit.

Same here... Platinum+...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:59 PM

Mark A. Smith:

It is a new critical edition of the text based primarily on Westcott and Hort, but with variances from three other sources taken into account (and in some cases, apparently, beyond that). The apparatus is quite accessible, although it is limited to the four main texts that were used to form the new text. You will not find reference in the apparatus to miniscules, papyri, etc., just to the four compared texts.

Thanks for the detective work, Mark.

Mark A. Smith:

Interesting, but for many of us it will not replace the UBS or NA text (and apparatus).

True, yet thanks Logos!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:13 PM

I  have the Platinum edition, I don't show those resources as being in my library, and the "update now" command says "No updates available". Any idea why I wouldn't be getting these?

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:22 PM

I enabled Automatic Updates and stopped / restarted L4. The auto-synchronization saw the updates and proceeded to pull them down.

Looks like maybe I'm supposed to use "sync now" instead of "update now'. Not sure how that distinction squares with Bob P.'s comments to the effect that program and content updates are (or at least can be) tightly coupled...

Donnie

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:33 PM

Hi Everybody.

These are free (yes, free) and are presently available in the Scholar's Library and above (not Original Languages).

We're in the process of rolling them out for both Logos 4 and LDLS3. Keep your eyes on the blog and also on http://sblgnt.com for more information. I'll work through the posts here and answer as many questions as I can before then.

One item, though: If you're on the Logos 4.2 beta, there is a known bug with tables. Scrolling to/through a table (such as those in the introduction to the SBLGNT) will cause a crash. This will be fixed in a later beta; there are no such known issues in 4.1 or in LDLS3.x.

- Rick

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:42 PM

Hi everyone.

Mark A. Smith:

Actually, that's not quite true. Westcott-Hort is a good starting point, but the result is as much WH as other editions (e.g. NA/UBS) are Westcott-Hort.

Essentially, we used four well known editions of the Greek New Testament, accounted for orthographic differences, and used the variation units pointed out by the differences as the starting point for creating the new text. Where the texts agreed the text remained (unless the editor, Michael W. Holmes, had reason to change it, this happened in over 50 instances); where the texts were different, Michael Holmes consulted other manuscript evidence, discussion in technical commentary, known articles, other apparatuses, etc. to review the areas and make a text-critical determination.

So the apparatus gives the edition evidence for the variation unit; it gives the reason why the unit was examined. The examination and determination is from the editor.

Because the apparatus cites editions, most variations that end up in most modern translations are accounted for. If you're preaching the passage, the apparatus is likely to have whatever variation folks in the pew will see in other printed modern translations.

Also, the SBLGNT gives a good comparison point to the standard edition of NA/UBS. Many folks think that if it is in NA/UBS, it must be the best we can do, so just go with it. Not necessarily the case. There are 500+ differences between NA/UBS and the SBLGNT; this can help one (even with the NA/UBS apparatus) weigh the apparatus information differently and more critically.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 88
Steve Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:42 PM

you'll see an update for 10MB and then click on the logos emblem on the bottom right screen and click to restart and the new FREE resources are there.

This is what I love about Logos.  They are willing to give us free resources so its not ALL about money.  I do realize they need to make a profit, but this is very kind of them.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:48 PM

Rick Brannan:
One item, though: If you're on the Logos 4.2 beta, there is a known bug with tables. Scrolling to/through a table (such as those in the introduction to the SBLGNT) will cause a crash.
Wish I'd known about this a few minutes ago.  :-)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:51 PM

Nancy A. Almodovar:

This is what I love about Logos.  They are willing to give us free resources so its not ALL about money.  I do realize they need to make a profit, but this is very kind of them.

I agree Nancy, this is entirely ministry motivated.  And made possible because I've purchased so many resources over the years. Wink

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:51 PM

Rick Brannan:
Actually, that's not quite true. Westcott-Hort is a good starting point, but the result is as much WH as other editions (e.g. NA/UBS) are Westcott-Hort.

Thanks for the clarification and for the effort behind this edition.

For those who never read a book's preface, Rick is cited in there:

"SBL and Logos would like to express special gratitude to two individuals for their careful, painstaking, and thoughtful work: Michael W. Holmes, who edited the SBLGNT and wrote the introduction to it; and Rick Brannan of Logos Bible Software, who developed the technical infrastructure for the project. Without the scholarship and expertise of Mike and Rick, we would not have been able to advance this significant dimension of critical New Testament research and teaching."

Holmes, M. W. (2010; 2010). The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition. Logos Bible Software.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:56 PM

Hi folks.

One clarification. I wrote:

Rick Brannan:
These are free (yes, free) and are presently available in the Scholar's Library and above (not Original Languages).

Once http://SBLGNT.com is live, anybody will be able to do a free unlock of the SBL Greek New Testament and its apparatus if you do not already have the text. We just need to do some work to verify everything is working before we make it live.

Thanks for your patience while we roll this out.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 2:03 PM

Thank You Logos SmileStar

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 2:26 PM

Mark A. Smith:

For those who never read a book's preface, Rick is cited in there:

"SBL and Logos would like to express special gratitude to two individuals for their careful, painstaking, and thoughtful work: Michael W. Holmes, who edited the SBLGNT and wrote the introduction to it; and Rick Brannan of Logos Bible Software, who developed the technical infrastructure for the project. Without the scholarship and expertise of Mike and Rick, we would not have been able to advance this significant dimension of critical New Testament research and teaching."

Holmes, M. W. (2010; 2010). The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition. Logos Bible Software.

It was a privilege to be involved, and very, very fun to boot. And, I might add, that Michael W. Holmes is a gentleman and a scholar, in that order. And he's a mighty fine scholar.

Now I get to take "Make edition and apparatus of Greek New Testament" off of my bucket list!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 2:54 PM

Rick Brannan:

We're in the process of rolling them out for both Logos 4 and LDLS3. Keep your eyes on the blog and also on http://sblgnt.com for more information. I'll work through the posts here and answer as many questions as I can before then.

One item, though: If you're on the Logos 4.2 beta, there is a known bug with tables. Scrolling to/through a table (such as those in the introduction to the SBLGNT) will cause a crash. This will be fixed in a later beta; there are no such known issues in 4.1 or in LDLS3.x.

Thanks Rick! 

I noticed that the verse numbers in the SBLGNTAPP aren't Bible links (as they are in other apparatuses I own in Logos).  Any reason for this?

I keep wanting to hover over the verse numbers to see the whole verse.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 3:23 PM

Hi Todd

Todd Phillips:

I noticed that the verse numbers in the SBLGNTAPP aren't Bible links (as they are in other apparatuses I own in Logos).  Any reason for this?

I keep wanting to hover over the verse numbers to see the whole verse.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see about making this happen.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS