The SBL Greek New Testament and Apparatus

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 27 2010 4:02 PM

Hi folks.

I just wanted to start a properly-titled thread for the SBL Greek New Testament (SBLGNT) and its Apparatus. As is usual, you beat us to the punch and figured out what was going on (original thread here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/25245.aspx).

Other sources of information for the SBLGNT include:

• The SBLGNT web site, http://sblgnt.com where (once it's up) you can read the preface and introduction online, and even download different formats (plain text, XML, and some others soon to come). 
  • The Logos Blog, http://blog.logos.com , will have a post hopefully soon about the SBLGNT (and other related matters) as well.

If you have questions about the SBL Greek New Testament, please feel free to use this thread to ask them. And know there is more coming, the release of the SBLGNT and its apparatus is just the first step.

We're working as fast as we can to get the free unlock available for Logos 4 and LDLS3 users who don't have a Scholars (LE) package or above. We want to make sure it all works properly before updating the Logos web site, enabling the free unlocking, and the like.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 5:36 PM

Rick,

I'm away from home so can't play with the text.

Will this be available on the iPod/iPad app?

Posts 8949
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 7:43 PM

Rick,

You said "more is coming" and you're working as fast as  you can "to get the free unlock available for Logos 4..." <~~~ What is the "more coming" and what is the free unlock for L4"? Thanks!

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 7:45 PM

Michael W. Holmes, the editor of the SBL Greek New Testament, has posted to the Evangelical Textual Criticism blog with some more details on the edition.

http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blogspot.com/2010/10/sbl-and-logos-bible-software-announce.html

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 7:45 PM

Hi Damian

Damian McGrath:

Yes, it will be. Probably early next week.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1466
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 7:49 PM

Hi Douglas

Douglas Alvarenga:

Rick,

You said "more is coming" and you're working as fast as  you can "to get the free unlock available for Logos 4..." <~~~ What is the "more coming" and what is the free unlock for L4"? Thanks!

The "free unlock for L4" (and also for LDLS3) is the SBL Greek New Testament and the Apparatus for those who do not have a Scholars (LE) package. For those who have the package, it just works (we've intended this to be part of the package for a long time). But we want everyone to have it, so we need to make sure the free unlocks are working for those who have to go that route.

What else is coming? Hopefully we'll be able to tell you more tomorrow (Thursday). We're have a few issues with the LDLS3 unlock and need to resolve those before we do much else.

Thanks for the interest!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 6:54 AM

Rick Brannan:

Hi Damian

Damian McGrath:

Yes, it will be. Probably early next week.

thanks Rick. Looking forward to it.

Posts 2641
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 7:20 AM

Rick,

This is a wonderful addition! On the L4 Mac there are no verse entry boxes in these two resources as shown below. I put the NA27 on the left for comparison. As a result they do not link to other texts and the only way to get to a verse is to use the TOC.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 7:47 AM

This is really cool, especially looking forward to the iPad version. Can I make a suggestion that some of the formatting options be more like other common greek texts? In particular even while the font size is the same, the line width for NA27/UBS4 and their variants is about 25% wider which is subtle but makes a significant difference in readability... The bold verse numbers also make it easier to find what you're looking for.

For comparison:

Posts 431
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:04 AM

Rick, is this the two resource update I was so frustrated at yesterday?  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/25244.aspx

Wilson Hines

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:19 AM

John Fidel:
On the L4 Mac there are no verse entry boxes

Also, there's a parallell resources button missing, isn't there?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:21 AM

Wilson Hines:

Rick, is this the two resource update I was so frustrated at yesterday?  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/25244.aspx

I'm not Rick, but the answer is yes.

Don't be frustrated. Be happy for new books!

There's a feature in the works (currently in the PC beta) that makes it possible to sort your library according to what was updated most recently: http://wiki.logos.com/4.2_Beta_3.

Posts 431
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:32 AM

Yeah I'm afraid we don't have that option yet on the Mac.  That's frustrating. Thanks for answering :)

Wilson Hines

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:36 AM

Wilson Hines:

Yeah I'm afraid we don't have that option yet on the Mac.  That's frustrating. Thanks for answering :)

I know.

Just a reminder that you will. Wink

Posts 431
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 9:05 AM

So, can somebody explain to me why the N/A committee can't get the #28 out to the public in a timely manner?

Wilson Hines

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 9:15 AM

I found this especially interesting and noted the references in my study Bible.  (Click to enlarge)  (edit, I didn't get the right panel clipped on the final screenshot.)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 10:04 AM

Jerry M:
I didn't get the right panel clipped on the final screenshot.

In case you didn't know, ALT+PRTSCN copies just the current window to the clipboard, making cropping less necessary on a dual-screen setup.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 10:13 AM

Thanks, that'll sure make things easier.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 10:19 AM

A minor point, but the double brackets don't display correctly in this paragraph even with the default font. I've reported it as a typo.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 10:22 AM

Jon:
In particular even while the font size is the same, the line width for NA27/UBS4 and their variants is about 25% wider which is subtle but makes a significant difference in readability

I'd echo this (though I think Jon means line height, not width).

Also, the ⸁ character is quite hard to distinguish from ⸀ in bold type. Not sure if the font can be adjusted some how.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS