Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 15 2009 11:57 PM

Just want to see how much people have already spend on Logos, what you need to do is go to your acount profie, and go to order history, and tally up all the payment you have made in the past, the quickest way will be copy it in to a spreadsheet, and do a sum of it.

I started using Logos in Feb 2008, and since then I have already spent $2.3k USD (I started with Scholar's Library: Gold) , WOW I really need to cut down my spending.....  I will do that after NICOT/NICNT tomorrow....  :-)

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 94
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:31 AM

I used to keep track, but then just started keeping track of the current budget instead of how much spent in total over the years. Though I would like to know, just out of curiousity... and possibly to compare to how much it would have been in print at reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, just using your account profile doesn't account for resources bought through other sellers and I have a fair share of those as well.

www.3rdcultureliving.com - Simple Abundant Legacy

Posts 21
Quipper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:28 AM

$17,121 since 2005, on 4,364 total resources. I've always written it down on a spreadsheet without fail when I buy something, whether from Logos directly or from a 3rd party.

It's a LOT, but I think that represents about $49k in hard copy book value.

Also, through taking advantage of Pre-Pub assiduously, I've gotten comparatively great deals. My estimate is that it would cost upwards of $22.5k to get the same collection of books if I began today.

Posts 760
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:47 AM

I am slack-jawed.

Please remember when throwing around these numbers that there many of us in small churches making very low salaries. I am thrilled when Rejoice puts something out for $20. I would LOVE to buy the scholar's edition someday. I don't even think about Scholar's Gold or Plutonium or whatever the top of the line edition is. It is simply not a possibility for me outside of a true miracle from God, and I don't know if I even need it or could in good conscience, accept it.

I just got back from a food pantry and distributed food and other things to 39 families. The pantry is in a run-down building and cannot keep up with the demand.

Really - how many resources do you need to preach the Word?

Jerry

p.s. I am a Logos fan and supporter. I want them to make lots of money so the company is strong. I am NOT anti-profit.

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 21
Quipper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 10:05 AM

You know, Jerry, it's truly not actually necessary for any of us to have more than a good version of the Bible in our own language in order to preach the whole counsel of God.

I know what it is like to be in want, and also to have plenty. God has blessed me incredibly in a monetary way over the years, and I embrace the blessings as a gift, and with joy. But if he had not blessed me in this particular way, I would also rejoice, and make do with much less by way of electronic books.

May God continue to bless you as you serve him. My post was in response to an honest query, and not intended to arouse either envy or disgust! 

A fellow servant,

Quipper

Posts 31
Justin Kooy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 10:24 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2009/10/regional_conference_speaker_suzanne_schmieding_philadelphia_pa.html

Regional Conference Speakers introduce the Body of Christ to Logos Bible Software and promote and facilitate deeper study of God’s Word. It would be our privilege to come to your church, ministry, school or community event to conduct a Logos Bible Study Workshop. There is no cost for these events, and in fact, those in attendance will receive a discount on their purchase of a Logos base package. Our speakers are located in:

• Atlanta
  • Chicago
  • Dallas
  • Los Angeles
  • Philadelphia
  • Seattle

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Are you in any of these areas?

Would you be interested in hosting a presentation of our technology, by one of our speakers, to a small group of your friends, pastors, or church lay leaders? 

In exchange, you would be given a substantial book credit to put towards building your library/resources.

Pastor Jerry Bush:
I would LOVE to buy the scholar's edition someday.

Send me an email if you are interested.

Justin K.

Logos Ministry Development

360-685-4441

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 10:34 AM

Well, I haven't kept a full list but have a pretty good estimate. Being on a tight budget over the last 5 years I have looked for bargains of books I have wanted. EBay, Rejoice, etc. can always help in finding a book(s) I am interested in. Sometimes they are in collections and I get extra books that I end up finding useful after I have them. Pre-Pub is always a good one too.

My best is being blessed with my first Logos product the Pastor's Library. I won a gift card from a bible bookstore and was able to get it and then use the other half to bless others. I migrated up to Scholar's Gold because of God's provision that supplied the funds when the time wasw right.

So Jerry, my prayers go out to you as you take care of the needs of those God has blessed you with taking care of. They are truly blessed to have someone like you in their midst. We serve a great and wonderful God and as your need arises, the funds will be there.

Be blessed.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 10:51 AM

yeah, I am not sure how wise it is to ask "how many resources" or "how much money was spent" and I admit that I could easily fall into pride or dejection based upon comparison to others.  Kind of like how many guys feel at conferences, as they compare attendance, fame, publications, etc.

I value books and see them as an aid, and even that they are used by God in my ministry life.  At times they are a crutch, however, or used to salve a weary spirit (nothing like the high of a new purchase, although before Logos it was CBD that was my object of affection . . . and consumerism . . .

I have almost always looked for, and received, good deals, including my entry into Series X when a local retailer mis-priced a box for a good discount--helpful on my then ym budget.  I upgraded a few times to silver and gold, also with some discount, and not only have used the books with joy, but also some of the additional add-ins. 

Only in the last couple years have I figured out the goldmine of pre-pubs.  Can't always get what I want, but I have started paying attention and getting my foot in the door.

Having a significant library on my lap top has paid many dividends for me.  And yet some men--friends of mine, far more capable than me, are blazing great trails solely with their traditional library and paper and pen.

Just be content and a good steward with what you have where you are called. 

Glad to hear about the food-pantry, and pray for those coffers to be filled soon abundantly.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 11:22 AM

Quipper:

You know, Jerry, it's truly not actually necessary for any of us to have more than a good version of the Bible in our own language in order to preach the whole counsel of God.

I know what it is like to be in want, and also to have plenty. God has blessed me incredibly in a monetary way over the years, and I embrace the blessings as a gift, and with joy. But if he had not blessed me in this particular way, I would also rejoice, and make do with much less by way of electronic books.

All this & Heaven too?!

God is so good to all of us. Yes, it is really an unbelievable pleasure to have Logos Bible software. I sometimes wonder since I have much more than I really need will I be required to account  for more fruit than I am bearing? In centuries past devout Christians accomplished greater things with a lot less in the way of physical props like software.

In the 90's I had a substantial income and a huge home. I now live in a very humble (small) house with meager income. I scrimped & saved for my NICOT/NICNT Pre-Pub but I had to cancel  at the last minute because the antique floor furnace gave out.

Even though I would have been thrilled to have NICOT/NICNT today I would have to place it lower on my list of blessings this week. My Navy Corpsman son just returned from Marine boot camp this week and walked through the front door with armloads of fried chicken for the whole family (I still have 10 kids at home to feed.) My aging parents are in town to visit and my brother got married last week. There are lots of good blessings to count.

I look forward to a bunch of nifty Pre-Pubs in the pipeline, Lord willing. In the meantime I will try and make good use of whatever time, energy & Logos God does allow me to enjoy.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:03 PM

What a recounting of blessing, Matthew!  Thank you for that window into your life. :)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:07 PM

Quipper:

Wilbert Webster White (father of the inductive Bible study method, and founder of the Biblical Seminary in NY) was quoted as saying: "All one needs is a fateful English version of the Bible and a good dictionary, and he will be equipped for every work in Christ Jesus."

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 8:35 PM

Paul Golder:

Quipper:

Wilbert Webster White (father of the inductive Bible study method, and founder of the Biblical Seminary in NY) was quoted as saying: "All one needs is a fateful English version of the Bible and a good dictionary, and he will be equipped for every work in Christ Jesus."

Peace to you, Paul!

"fateful"  ????

.......   Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:01 PM

A missionary friend recently told me that when asked how much he earned as a missionary his response was, "Sufficient!"

How much have I spent on Logos? Sufficient.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 10:08 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace to you, Paul!

"fateful"  ????

.......   Mel

What I need is a spell checker that knows what I meant to type...Embarrassed

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:11 AM

Chris Roberts:

A missionary friend recently told me that when asked how much he earned as a missionary his response was, "Sufficient!"

How much have I spent on Logos? Sufficient.

Yes This one!

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 2989
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:23 AM

I have spent quite a bit, but I have benefited quite a bit, as has my church. I can think in nothing better to invest in than knowing God more through his Word.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 760
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 12:06 PM

Keep in mind that I read and then replied to the original post it was less than an hour after watching dozens of families wait in the rain for a box of food. I am sure that colored my response!

I am truly happy for those that are blessed with either the personal finances or a book budget in order to expand their Logos library.  If I came off envious, I did not mean to because I don't feel that way. I love Logos, and am thankful for what it does for me, and I have the t-shirt to prove it!   ;-)

I look at my library and sometimes think. "How much is too much?" I don't even mean that from a financial standpoint; but rather how much can I really use? In fact, I have been asking for a few years now for a way to delete (not just hide) resources in an easy way. I know you can do it now, but the important word is "easy." Perhaps in the next version, Logos?

I don't need the Woman's Study Bible, but there it sits, taking up space and being searched. I don't speak Spanish, but I have a Spanish Bible for some reason. I want them to go away. But I digress...

When it comes down to it, I use about 3-4 English bibles including the ESV Reverse Interlinear (what a revolution for me), about 6 commentaries, the basic original language tools, and a few other things. I take my study seriously, but there is a point to where I become overwhelmed with information.

A similar situation is the internet; people send me very useful links all the time, but I don't have time to sift through them all or I would be on the internet all day. So I take my favorite 10 and use them as long as they are still helpful. I can't be reading 25 blogs per day, regardless of how clever they might be. There are people standing in the rain needing food, and I don't even do that very often - maybe once per month. There is a church to run, people to visit, a family to lead, and the list goes on.

Sorry for all the rambling, but I guess when I saw $17K, it sort of took me back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with spending any amount of money on resources, even far more than that amount. But really, how much can one person use and keep up with?

Blessings to all of you in all size churches; Pastors, Sunday School teachers, small group leaders, etc. Blessings to you with 6K resources or the smallest Logos package available. Blessings to you whether you study with a computer or paper and pen (or both, like me). Keep preaching and teaching the Word of God, and may He bless you for it.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 12:14 PM

Pastor Jerry Bush:
When it comes down to it, I use about 3-4 English bibles including the ESV Reverse Interlinear (what a revolution for me), about 6 commentaries, the basic original language tools, and a few other things. I take my study seriously, but there is a point to where I become overwhelmed with information.

This is a real issue that I have been thinking about... information overload. We have access to more information than ever through the computing age, yet I don't think we have fully come to grips with it.

The danger is that this dynamic begins spills over into Bible software. If one is not careful, you can think that if I just get a huge library of a 1,000 resources, it will make me a better studier of the Word.You run a report on a verse and get 30 to 40 hits on various resources, but in the midst of it get lost and side tracked. Or worse, nuggets of information or resources just get buried.

Sometimes less is more. It would be better to have a couple dozen resources that you really know how to use and digest, than 1,000s that you don't.

As we are looking to the next generation of Logos software, I really hope the brilliance of the design is the ability to manage the awesome mountain of resources that we now have. Otherwise, things will get buried or under utilized as libraries continue to grow.

Posts 2494
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 1:56 PM

I try not to think about how much I have spent.

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 3:25 PM

RonaldQuick:

I try not to think about how much I have spent.

I can identify with that sentiment Embarrassed

Jack

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS