Page 4 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 62 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:26 PM

Matthew C Jones:
But sadly most young people are playing video games or watching TV tonight.

Lol, I still do (28 here), but I do spent more and more time reading and study the Bible, and Logos is a great aids in study the scripture....

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:38 PM

Matthew C Jones:

JeremyEllis:

I hope Logos is here for good. Computers are obviously going to get better, and the software will need to be updated to work on them. But from the amount of money that people here have spent, I think Logos is a strong company and only getting stronger, even in a recession.

I think I have spent around $2,000, but all at the academic price. I have used my tax returns every year.

Jeremy, That is a substantial investment at the academic rate.  It would be neat to have a "tax return special on ore resources. Did I say more? MORE!

I just hope our greed and critical spirit on the forum does not damage the company we have been so blessed by.

I have spent a good deal of money on Logos, but I believe it was worth it. I can study the Bible so much quicker and easier and in depth than before. This leaves more time for personal ministry with others. I really think that if a pastor spends 15 hours a week on sermon preparation, this can be cut in half with Logos. A couple of thousand for that is priceless from my point of view when it is saving you 7-8 hours a week over the course of 10-15 years. I don't have to drive to the Wheaton College library as much. Logos absolutely helped me in Greek and Hebrew exegesis in seminary. The types of searches I was doing in class were the types the professor and students were dreaming about out loud. People were dumbfounded that I had HALOT. The Anchor Bible Dictionary on my iPhone? Yep, crazy. And the journals...for the money you spend on them in digital form, that is the best deal Logos offers.

Posts 39
Peter Banks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:20 PM

The thing that scares me about using a computer is.... Is that information overload will short circuit the heart work

A year of so ago i was asked to teach a course on how to study the Bible As I struggle with the best way to present the material, I remembered a sermon I heard James M. Boice deliver my first year in college (30 plus years ago). He stated that Bible study consisted in three parts:

1.) Analysis - Where we figure out what the text means.

2.) Synthesis - Where we figure out how our text relates to the rest of Scripture.

3.) Application - Where we prayerfully struggle out what God wants us to do with the truth he just gave us. I referred to this as the heart work.

There is lot of variability, as what this means for us in terms of resources that are required. I do know it should entail all my mind, all my mind and all soul.

To who much is given much is required.

pab

Page 4 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS