Virus on Logos 4 install DVDs?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 37
John Norman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 14 2010 12:37 PM

When inserting Logos 4 DVD I ordered to get latest resources without downloading, AVAST said the autoexec.inf on the DVD was infected with status "Threat: INF: AutoRun-gen [Wrm]" which seems to be a USB virus.   Files on DVD dated 10/18/2010...

Thanks,

John

Posts 37
John Norman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 12:56 PM

FYI, the Training Videos DVD comes up clean, so infection is restricted to the Logos 4.1 installation DVD...

Thanks,

John

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 9:44 PM

It could be a false positive.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 19263
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 10:02 PM

Probably something you should email Logos Tech Support about and either get them to communicate with Avast directly, or you send in the file that is being detected as a virus so that Avast can know that Logos's install program is OK. These virus detection software companies rely on users sending them files to add to their database of known safe programs that just happen to trigger a false positive. Then again, maybe somehow a virus did get onto the disk. So you really had best be in touch with Logos about it. Email tech@logos.com.

Posts 37
John Norman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:19 AM

It's not the install program, its the autoexec.inf file on the DVD...  

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:43 AM

Inf files are just plain text. You could safely open it in a text editor and paste it here.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 9:13 AM

That's assuming the .inf file didn't get corrupted someplace b/w mastering and duplication and turned into a virus (or modified to exploit a vulnerability in something that reads text files). This has happened in the past with commercial software. Since he specifically mentioned v4.1, it's the most recent version that would have been mastered and (however Logos does it) sent out for duplication / publishing.

Donnie

Posts 37
John Norman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:32 AM
This was response I got from Logos: Thank you for contacting us! We appreciate your business. I can assure you that autoexec.inf is not a virus. For some reason Avast! Antivirus has been flagging that one on our DVDs. It is just a file that allows windows to pull up our autorun menus. You can find a support article from microsoft about that file here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818804 Please feel free to contact us again should you need further assistance. Thanks, Hunter Logos Bible Software, Customer Support
Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 11:41 AM

Rosie Perera:

Here is how to report that false positive to Avast: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7779

While I agree that it's almost assuredly a false positive, I don't think that's been proven yet. Despite Logos' assurances, unless that specific DVD has been verified as clean, it could be infected. Put it in another computer that's got some other a/v program than Avast. If it doesn't get flagged as a virus, open the .inf file in a text editor to verify its content. (Ideally open it in a hex editor to assure there are no hidden characters, etc.).

At that point we can have some confidence that it's clean.

Donnie

Posts 19263
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 12:23 PM

Donnie Hale:

Rosie Perera:

Here is how to report that false positive to Avast: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7779

While I agree that it's almost assuredly a false positive, I don't think that's been proven yet. Despite Logos' assurances, unless that specific DVD has been verified as clean, it could be infected. Put it in another computer that's got some other a/v program than Avast. If it doesn't get flagged as a virus, open the .inf file in a text editor to verify its content. (Ideally open it in a hex editor to assure there are no hidden characters, etc.).

At that point we can have some confidence that it's clean.

Donnie

The post I linked to shows how you can verify this file with a couple of other sources. Also if you suspect that it's a false positive and you zip it and email it to Avast as described in that post, they will verify it internally and would not add it to their safe database unless they are assured that it is indeed safe.

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 12:35 PM

Donnie Hale:
That's assuming the .inf file didn't get corrupted someplace b/w mastering and duplication and turned into a virus

As a former Mastering Engineer at a replication plant I can say from experience that the odds of this happening are about as likely as Satan's realm becoming winterlike in it's climate. Smile

Posts 1
LogosEmployee
Beckie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 16 2010 4:37 PM

John,

I spoke with Hunter about the issue you are experiencing. I tested a 4.1 disc on my computer here at Logos using ESET anti-virus and did not get any warnings of a virus. Additionally, I rand a virus scan of the AutoRun.inf file and found no defects. the tect of the file reads:

[autorun]
; Launch Logos4Setup.exe, let it find the Setup\Logos4DiscScript.lbxdat script
open=Logos4Setup.exe
icon=Setup\Logos4.ico

I think you can safely contact Avast at this point and let them know about your situation without any fear of an actual virus. If you are still concerned about the issue after speaking with Avast, feel free to give us a call at technical support, 800.875.6467

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS