Searching on a Greek word

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
John Draper | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:26 AM

I have ESV and Little Kittel open. I search on agapate or agapao in 1 John 2:15 by right clicking on the word, indicating whether or not I want to search on the lemma or the manuscript in the popup window, click on "search all open resources" and get zero hits in Little Kittel? I know the word is in there but I don't get any hits.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:49 AM

John Draper:

I have ESV and Little Kittel open. I search on agapate or agapao in 1 John 2:15 by right clicking on the word, indicating whether or not I want to search on the lemma or the manuscript in the popup window, click on "search all open resources" and get zero hits in Little Kittel? I know the word is in there but I don't get any hits.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I don't normally use Little Kittel since I have the complete version, but after prioritizing Little Kittel, right-clicking on a Greek word and selecting the Little Kittel, it did work for me.  Do you have the resource prioritized?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 12:30 PM

I can confirm...

1.) Do a "search all open resources" and the search fails for Little Kittle.

2.) Do a "search little kittle" and it fails

3.) Right click the word; choose lemma and it does work.

Id say file this one under bugs.....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 12:43 PM

Robert Pavich:

I can confirm...

1.) Do a "search all open resources" and the search fails for Little Kittle.

2.) Do a "search little kittle" and it fails

3.) Right click the word; choose lemma and it does work.

Id say file this one under bugs.....

For whatever it is worth #1 and #2 fails for the unabridge Kittel as well.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 1:20 PM

When you launch a search from a RI with open resources it does a lemma search but only returns hits on other RI texts as far as I can tell. The reason seems to be the search syntax. Lexicons do not respond to searches with that syntax. They want to be fed the Greek lemma directly. If you strip out the <lemma = lbs/el/...> and leave just the lemma itself, then search in Big Kittel it works. It does not work in little Kittel for some unknown reason, which may indicate a problem with that resource. Little Kittel is supposed to be searchable by Greek lemma but it doesn't appear that it works.

So there is an issue with Little Kittel but it makes no difference to what the OP wanted to do. The syntax <Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγαπάω> generated by his right click menu will not work in lexicons.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26962
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 3:53 PM

Mark A. Smith:
The syntax <Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγαπάω> generated by his right click menu will not work in lexicons.

That is why it is best to select the lexicon direct from the list on the right-click context menu (assuming it is prioritised amongst your top 5 lexicons).

You can search many lexicons with lemma:ἀγαπάω as that will go direct to the head word. Unfortunately, Little Kittel does not have the lemma search field and a search for the word ἀγαπάω will find all occurrences in any resource!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS