Help with Precept Inductive Bible Study

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27599
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 11:02 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Inductive Bible Study is looking at the Trees first.

Deductive Bible Study is looking at the Forest first.

You are probably right ... but to me both methods have to start from the text from which they build either a forest or a tree.

• inductive Bible study starts with the text and builds a forest ... a step in which reasoning is always couched in probability
  • deductive Bible study starts with the text and identifies the trees ... a step in which (from the Western perspective) each statement may be shown to be either true or false

I understand what you are trying to say ... but to me it makes no sense - the text is between the forest and the trees and everyone has to start with the text. (Even those of us who also value traditionSmile)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27599
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 11:07 PM

Thomas Black:

MJ. Smith:
"why do flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?"
Great. Now how am I supposed to sleep tonight?

You think that's a problem? I can give you a list of words that have a negative prefix ... but the positive word doesn't exist. Why do we need negatives for words that don't exist? That's worth loosing a night's sleep over Big Smile

• debunk
  • defenestrate
  • dejected
  • disconsolate
  • disdain
  • disgruntled
  • disheveled
  • dismayed
  • disrupt
  • feckless
  • gormless
  • impetuous
  • impromptu
  • inane
  • incessant
  • inchoate
  • incognito
  • incommunicado
  • indomitable
  • ineffable
  • inept
  • inert
  • infernal
  • inhibited
  • insidious
  • insipid
  • insouciant
  • intact
  • invert
  • misgivings
  • misnomer
  • nonchalant
  • noncommittal
  • nondescript
  • nonpareil
  • nonplussed
  • unbeknownst
  • ungainly
  • unswerving
  • untold
  • untoward

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 448
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 7:21 AM

Very interesting discussion... I hope this interjection will help.

I think in Inductive Bible study we must use both inductive and deductive reasoning. Induction involves making observations and then subsequently drawing conclusions. Deduction begins with a conclusion or a general principle of some kind and then observes to see whether the conclusion is true or false. In order for Bible study to be efficient and efficacious - for it to progress, the benefits of deduction must be supplemental to induction along each step.

The aim of inductive study is to be able to approach Scripture with a purity - a fearlessness in the hopes of seeing things as they truly are...

This is often very difficult. Often one may be tempted, when confounded for a moment to a apply a template of preconception to a particular passage. Perhaps this is the danger of a purely deductive approach, and hopefully a thing to be avoided.

Posts 27599
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 2:29 PM

William J Cook:
I think in Inductive Bible study we must use both inductive and deductive reasoning.

I do agree. However, I also know:

"Since induction is a contingent method—even good inductions may lead from truths to falsehoods—there can be no deductive justification for induction. Any inductive justification of induction would, on the other hand, be circular."

It was Hume, a major influence on the leader of the Campbellite movement who noted the "inductive problem" as it is called in logic.  The quote is from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Even understanding that, for many using the inductive method the meaning of induction/deduction seems to be flipped, I can't see why one would want to reverse them. It's got to make evangelization more difficult and make it easier to convince a believer that they've been misled. But I shall drop the subject as I have gotten the answer to my original question:  there is a specific meaning to the word "inductive" when used to describe Bible study. It's a meaning that gets it's own number in a dictionary as a separate meaning of the word.

William J Cook:
Often one may be tempted, when confounded for a moment to a apply a template of preconception to a particular passage. Perhaps this is the danger of a purely deductive approach, and hopefully a thing to be avoided.

Note that to me, this is the danger of the inductive approach not of the deductive approach. The other reason I find this confusing is to me, both the inductive and the deductive approach start with the text. It appears that one gives deduction a bad name by changing the starting point. And that certainly does make a difference. Big Smile

Posts 2740
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 11:52 PM

Very interesting thread. Thank you guys. Yes

Bohuslav

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS