A plug for the Century Dictionary in Community Pricing

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19718
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 20 2010 8:27 PM

10 reasons to bid on the Century Dictionary:

1. If you've got lots of older works in your library, originally published pre-1900 say, a modern dictionary which you may already have in your Logos library, might not give you the definitions of words as they were used in the past. This will help you to understand your resources better.
  2. At 12 volumes it is way more in depth than the largest English dictionary Logos currently produces (Collins 8th ed.) -- many of the entries are more like encyclopedia entries.
  3. It contains wonderful illustrations. Here's a sample excerpt:
  4. We're not likely to ever get the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) in Logos because of its expense, but this is the closest to it in depth of coverage.
  5. Like the OED, the Century Dictionary contains quotes to show past examples of the word in usage in literature.
  6. The Century Dictionary is Bob Pritchett's pet project that he'd really like to see come to fruition, so let's help his dream become reality: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/18407/138688.aspx#138688
  7. It might be too early to estimate what the final price will be but $30 is the estimate now -- that's less than $3 per volume! Bid $30 or higher. I'm in at $100 (appropriate price for a "Century" dictionary, eh?)
  8. The Century Dictionary is one of the largest and most highly regarded dictionaries ever published in the English language. Stewart Archer Steger from the University of Virginia published his Ph.D. dissertation "American Dictionaries" and devoted a 14-page Chapter VI on Century Dictionary. He concluded the chapter with these words: "Altogether, The Century Dictionary far surpasses anything in American lexicography". (Wikipedia)
  9. If you are a lover of words, you need this!
  10. I would really like to get it. If you appreciate anything I've ever done for you on the forums or the wiki, bid on it out of gratitude. Smile Even if you only bid $15 or $20, if enough people do we might see it come about.
Posts 2969
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 7:02 AM

OK - I am in at $50

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 10:10 AM

I was already in, I think at $30

Posts 10893
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 11:33 AM

I'm in due to Rosie's recommendation.

Posts 1028
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 7:06 AM

I'm in at $30. I really appreciate the fact that thanks to you I'm about to get Catena Aurea for a bargain $14

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 8:15 AM

Yes, I am in and have been in but I think it's "gonna take a whole lot more folks" to get this into production (as is the case with the other community pricing titles).

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 8:52 AM

Rosie, since I want it as much as you do, I am already in at the same bid price as you.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 19718
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 11:32 AM

David Carter:

I'm in at $30. I really appreciate the fact that thanks to you I'm about to get Catena Aurea for a bargain $14

Yes, I'm very pleased to see that coming through soon!

Posts 2447
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 30 2013 8:29 AM

I had somehow missed this set, but I agree with all that you said.  I am in at $50.  There is a newer thread on this that sent me here, but its title is not obvious to the content like this one is.  It is located here for extra information.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 30 2013 8:42 AM

Joseph Turner:

I had somehow missed this set, but I agree with all that you said.  I am in at $50.  There is a newer thread on this that sent me here, but its title is not obvious to the content like this one is.  It is located here for extra information.

Thanks for digging up this thread.  I knew I'd seen a page scan before, but the CP page does have any page images.  Leave it to Rosie to rectify it.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS