Lising the contents of Logos updates?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 223
shark tacos | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 25 2010 9:36 AM

I see in Logos the notice to "click to download available updates"

Since these can at times take an extraordinarily long time, I would like to know what exactly the download content is, and the size of the download. Is there a way to determine this?

Also my Logos lists as being "Logos 4.0b beta 3" (in the "about" menu) but I am quite sure I have updated at least to the "gold master" release. That beta is what I originally installed way back when.  Am I crazy, or is it not listing the current version I have?

thanks!

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 12:54 PM

shark tacos:
my Logos lists as being "Logos 4.0b beta 3"

You do not have the current version of L4 Mac. I believe that should be  4.0b (4.10.4.7689). Try typing "Update Now" in the Command box. This should download the latest version.

shark tacos:
I would like to know what exactly the download content is, and the size of the download. Is there a way to determine this?

Although this has been requested numerous times on these forums, there is still no way to identify the contents of updates unless someone posts the information on the forums.

Posts 223
shark tacos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 1:13 PM

Jack Caviness:
You do not have the current version of L4 Mac. I believe that should be  4.0b (4.10.4.7689).

I'm pretty sure the current version is actually 4.0a SR-5. I don't have that. But what I was saying is that even though my Logos says it is 4.0b beta, I think this is incorrect since I have since updated to a higher version (the gold release). I remember this quite well since it took around 48 hours (!) to download and re-index. So I am wondering why it is displaying the version incorrectly?

Jack Caviness:
there is still no way to identify the contents of updates unless someone posts the information on the forums.

I do see that the wiki lists the contents of each update. What I don't know is which update Logos is going to install when I click on it, and more importantly, how big it is. I wish it could at least say something like "click to download available updates (500 GB)" or something, and better yet to have a pop up that gives a detailed list (like pretty much every other software in the world on both PC and Mac does).

Posts 223
shark tacos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 2:26 PM

P.S. happy thanksgiving Jack Big Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 7:39 PM

shark tacos:
Also my Logos lists as being "Logos 4.0b beta 3" (in the "about" menu) but I am quite sure I have updated at least to the "gold master" release. That beta is what I originally installed way back when.  Am I crazy, or is it not listing the current version I have?

Jack Caviness:
You do not have the current version of L4 Mac. I believe that should be  4.0b (4.10.4.7689).

I'm pretty sure the current version is actually 4.0a SR-5. I don't have that. But what I was saying is that even though my Logos says it is 4.0b beta, I think this is incorrect since I have since updated to a higher version (the gold release). I remember this quite well since it took around 48 hours (!) to download and re-index. So I am wondering why it is displaying the version incorrectly?

Since Logos lists version as "Logos 4.0b beta 3", suspect Update Channel set to Beta.  Forum "Getting Off the Beta Channel" => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/26388.aspx may be interesting.

Concur with Jack Caviness about Beta Channel update to Logos 4.0b Release Candidate 1 (4.10.4.7689).

For Stable Channel, Logos 4.0a SR-5 is current.  Wiki page describes Update Channels => http://wiki.logos.com/Update_Channels

Wiki page with Beta Program information has channel information (including RSS feed links) => http://wiki.logos.com/The_Logos_4_Beta_Program

Likewise wish for size estimate for download updates.  Wiki page http://wiki.logos.com/An_update_is_downloading,_what_is_it has link for requesting feature => what is being updated.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 223
shark tacos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 9:49 PM

So I ran the command "set update channel to default" and then updated. It now says the version is 4.0b (4.10.4.7689). So it is apparently still stuck on beta. Any idea how I can get off of it? Is there any way to confirm that the "set update channel to default"command is working?

I believe it should be updating past the beta to the gold, and that something is not working. So my questions are

1) Do I need to uninstall Logos and then download the install again to fix this?

2) Will doing this lose any of my morph tags, collections, and other personal settings? If so how can I save them all?

3) Will it need to re-index? Is there a way to avoid this?

Posts 5660
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 1:45 AM

If the 'update channel' is set to 'default' and you are on beta then it will remain on beta until that beta stream becomes 'gold' or a stable version.

It is the only safe way of transferring from the beta stream to the stable stream.

shark tacos:
I believe it should be updating past the beta to the gold, and that something is not working.

By definition the current beta must always be past the last stable version - and we hope for what we only partially see. You cannot step back to a stable version.

shark tacos:
1) Do I need to uninstall Logos and then download the install again to fix this?

No - there is no fix until the next stable version release. By the way the answer to that question is almost always no whatever the question. 

shark tacos:
2) Will doing this lose any of my morph tags, collections, and other personal settings? If so how can I save them all?

No -  you can uninstall and reinstall the logos engine with impunity (it is a waste of time but everyone has to have a hobby) - this data is synced to logos and will reappear when you start up the programme.

shark tacos:
3) Will it need to re-index? Is there a way to avoid this?

It should not need to re-index if you only mess about with the engine itself - if you start playing around with the support files then who can tell what you will loose.

All in all you should sit back and enjoy the ride. Set your 'update channel' to 'default 'and keep an eye out for the next stable release.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 7:47 AM

shark tacos:
So I ran the command "set update channel to default" and then updated. It now says the version is 4.0b (4.10.4.7689). So it is apparently still stuck on beta.

I believe KS4J is correct that this is the Release Candidate for 4.0b. You will soon be at the stable version. After that, you will remain with the stable version unless you set update channel to Beta.

Than you for you well wishes about Thanksgiving. I did indeed have a Happy Thanksgiving. That is the big day for my family, and we had 20 of them here—only 2 missing.

Posts 223
shark tacos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 8:20 AM

I'm confused. When I downloaded Logos for Mac there was only a beta version available. I see that there is a gold version available now. So why can't update to that? Even though there is now a stable gold version I can't use it?

Is 4.0a SR-5 not a higher version than 4.0b?

If I uninstall the beta and then download and reinstall, this ought to put be off of the beta and onto the current version, which is gold (4.0a SR-5), right?

Mac Stable Release Notes and History

Logos 4 Mac – current version

4.0a SR-5 Tue 16 Nov 2010 4.10.4.7497
4.0a SR-4 Mon 1 Nov 2010 4.10.4.6968
4.0a SR-3 Mon 18 Oct 2010 4.10.4.6316
4.0a SR-2 Mon 11 Oct 2010 4.10.4.6199
4.0a SR-1 Fri 8 Oct 2010 4.10.4.6104
4.0a “Gold” Service + More Wed 6 Oct 2010 4.10.4.6016
4.0 “Gold Master” Release Fri 17 Sep 2010 4.10.4.5314
4.0 Release Candidate 3 Wed 15 Sep 2010 4.10.4.5255
4.0 Release Candidate 2 Tue 14 Sep 2010 4.10.4.5220
4.0 Release Candidate 1 Tue 14 Sep 2010 4.10.4.5212

Mac Beta Release Notes and History

Wiki page has Beta program information (including potential risk)

4.0b Release Candidate 1 Mon 22 Nov 2010 4.10.4.7689
4.0b Beta 3 Mon 1 Nov 2010 4.10.4.6980
4.0b Beta 2 Mon 18 Oct 2010 4.10.4.6567
4.0b Beta 1 Mon 11 Oct 2010 4.10.4.6210
Posts 698
LogosEmployee
shark tacos:

Is 4.0a SR-5 not a higher version than 4.0b?

Indeed 4.0b is newer than 4.0a (a comes after b in the English alphabet). If the about box says 4.0b and doesn't say "beta" in it, then you are essentially on the stable channel. If your update channel is set to default, and the version in the about windo doesn't indicate "beta" or "alpha", you will only pick up updates from stable going forward. We ship stable releases to the beta channel first and then to the stable channel.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 223
shark tacos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 10:36 AM

Cameron Watters:
(a comes after b in the English alphabet)

I had assumed the "b" was for "beta". It would make a lot more sense if the versions used numbers instead of letters ("4.0" as opposed to "4.1 beta" for example). Using letters is quite confusing.

What I find a bit frustrating is that I did not opt to be on the beta, I just downloaded the current version at the time when it was pre-release beta, and it apparently never swiched back after it was released and went gold. But I guess with the way things are set up there is no way to change that now.

Thanks to everyone for all the help

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 12:56 PM

shark tacos:

Cameron Watters:
(a comes after b in the English alphabet)

I had assumed the "b" was for "beta". It would make a lot more sense if the versions used numbers instead of letters ("4.0" as opposed to "4.1 beta" for example). Using letters is quite confusing.

Wiki page - Beta Program => http://wiki.logos.com/The_Logos_4_Beta_Program shows Logos 4 PC version sequence: 4.0a, 4.0b, 4.0c, 4.0d, 4.1, 4.2 while Logos 4 Mac versions: 4.0, 4.0a, 4.0b - appears PC version already moving to numbers instead of letters.

Apologies - updated Mac Release Notes and History wiki to match version history in RSS feeds => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Release_Notes_and_History

Thankful Logos allows volunteers to edit Wiki pages.  Also Thankful for Logos for Bible Study.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
shark tacos:
Version numbering strategies vary among organizations and there is no absolute standard for version numbering. Sorry for the confusion.
shark tacos:
What I find a bit frustrating is that I did not opt to be on the beta, I just downloaded the current version at the time when it was pre-release beta, and it apparently never swiched back after it was released and went gold. But I guess with the way things are set up there is no way to change that now.
When you downloaded a pre-release version, you opted-in to the beta, by definition. If the version you're running has "beta" in the version string, the default channel means "beta". If you have the latest version that is available on the beta channel (4.0b without the word "beta" in the version), run the command "set update channel to default" and you won't get future betas and will rejoin the stable channel going forward.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Thankful Logos allows volunteers to edit Wiki pages.  Also Thankful for Logos for Bible Study.
I'm thankful for the cadre of dedicated volunteers that update the wiki and respond in these forums.

Posts 223
shark tacos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 5:55 PM

I'm thankful the information window now updates fast again Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS