New Laptop

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 34
Drew | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 1 2010 8:46 AM

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop that will be exclusively used for writing and research (i.e. no photos, music, etc).  I presently have all mac computers except for one windows.  I noticed that logos runs much slower on OSX then on Win7.  Is this a temporary thing as they work out the kinks?  The reason I ask i'm deciding between Macbook pro 15 or Dell XPS 15.  I love Mac but the XPS is almost a 1,000 less with similar if not newer components.  Not to mention running logos seems faster on a windows computer... Any suggestions?

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 4:29 PM

You should do what is best for you I have a i7 15" that I got back in may.. I love it, i have parallels running to handle my minor needs for windows. I have no problems with the speed of Logos mac usually (I am beta updates, so i do sometimes get a buggy version that slows things down). The Mac version should theoretically work as fast on the mac side, but that said, the release edition is more like a beta, not all the features are functioning, but in the end they will be. Things seem to have slowed up a lot in developing over that past bit... But I do know that  the mac is catching up to the Windows side rather quickly.

So in the end buy the one that will serve you best, but even if you decide windows Logos is the way you have to go, it doesn't mean you have to go away from the mac, just need to add a virtual machine onto it.

-Dan

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 6:34 PM

Andrew DiNardo:
 I love Mac but the XPS is almost a 1,000 less with similar if not newer components.

That $1000 would make a big difference to me all other things being equal. Do you have other software you need for research that is Mac only? If not you can buy some pretty nice Logos resources for $1000, have all the features of the Win Logos 4 version, and get good performance with a properly spec'd Windows machine. I guess you know which way I'm leaning.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 34
Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 11:35 PM

thanks for feedback.  The only other software I use on my mac that does not have a window's version is my library cataloging software.  Other than that, it is word, logos, and the internet.....

Posts 34
Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:29 AM

I think I'm leaning Mac since my experience with Windows has been so bad (besides Logos) . The money is an issue, although our school subsidizes the cost and I will contribute some.   I can get a less expensive mac but the 15 inch macbook has the 512 dedicated graphics memory and it seems this is necessary for logos.  If that is not true then I would go with the 13 inch or even the macbook air and it would cost less.  So now I'm going to go the logos 4 mac section and ask some questions... thanks again

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:35 PM

Andrew DiNardo:
So now I'm going to go the logos 4 mac section and ask some questions

I still recommend the 15" MBP as I did over there. In fact, I often wish I had purchased the 17". However, that would not fit on the console of my pickup.

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 2:06 PM

Jack Caviness:
However, that would not fit on the console of my pickup.

Bible Study while driving??? Say it ain't so, Jack. OK I'll assume you need it for something else while you're in the truck.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 2:11 PM

Since Jack likes Macs so much, maybe he has a Mac truck, which of course comes with its own driver.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 2:30 PM

Jerry M:
Since Jack likes Macs so much, maybe he has a Mac truck, which of course comes with its own driver.

Groan!

And it never crashes, either.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2010 3:34 AM

Jerry M:

I can feel the love from all of you. Big Smile

Mark A Smith:
Bible Study while driving??? Say it ain't so, Jack. OK I'll assume you need it for something else while you're in the truck.

It is for recording the results of sales calls BEFORE starting the truck. Geeked

Mark A Smith:
…And it never crashes, either.

Yes Only when running Windows under Parallels. Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS