Standardize reference box behavior with web browsers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 4 2010 9:32 AM

What do you think?

In a web browser, it's possible to copy the current address by right clicking anywhere in the address box. This simultaneously highlights the contents of the box and pops up a context menu.

In Logos, it's necessary to click directly on the text of the reference box in order to achieve this. Clicking on blank space in the box, which works as above in web browsers, will place the cursor at the end of the text and pop up the context menu in Logos.

It seems to me that since the browser address box is a direct parallel for the reference box, which most of us are thoroughly accustomed to, it would be helpful if this behavior in Logos were standardized to how browsers operate.

I admit - I only figured out this morning that clicking on the text produced a different result from clicking in the box. It's possible I'm slower than the average bear, but I suspect there are probably other users who have been flummoxed by this behavior. Anyone willing to own up to it? Cool

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 10:19 AM

You can also right click over the text in a reference box and it selects the entire reference as well as shows a drop down menu for Copy/Cut/Paste.

i often use this when i want to position two books to the same reference without linking them.

right click on ref box and select copy, then right click in book that i want to position to the same location and paste.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 10:26 AM

Hi, Steve...

That's my point, though - right clicking on the text does one thing, and right clicking on the empty space in the box does something else (and it's a something else that I can't imagine is actually helpful to anyone). In a browser, which is most people's point of reference for this sort of dialog box, it doesn't matter where you click - you always get the highlight and the pop-up. I think Logos would be smart to adopt this behavior, because users are already accustomed to it.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 10:33 AM

Bob Schaefer:
right clicking on the empty space in the box does something else (and it's a something else that I can't imagine is actually helpful to anyone).

Actually it is helpful for me. If i want to backspace over the Verse number or Chapter without having to type the Book name, i click on the white space and backspace and enter the new Chapter/Verse number and hit Enter.

i know that we all see things differently. Sorry.

EDIT: after thinking about it, i have to use the Left click on the white space. So perhaps your idea would be useful Smile

EDIT2: although after trying this just now, right click positions the cursor to the end immediately. And i have to hit left click twice to get the cursor positioned to the end.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 3:22 PM

There seem to be a lot of differences between Windows and Mac here...

Bob Schaefer:
In a web browser, it's possible to copy the current address by right clicking anywhere in the address box. This simultaneously highlights the contents of the box and pops up a context menu.

Not in Safari for Mac.

Bob Schaefer:
In Logos, it's necessary to click directly on the text of the reference box in order to achieve this. Clicking on blank space in the box, which works as above in web browsers, will place the cursor at the end of the text and pop up the context menu in Logos.

I get the same result wherever I click (which presumably means your behaviour is a bug).

steve clark:
right click positions the cursor to the end immediately. And i have to hit left click twice to get the cursor positioned to the end.

For me it's immediate with left click, so presumably another bug for you. (Imagine, something where Mac is ahead!)

However, thank you very much for making me aware of this! Never having used it in my web browser, I wasn't aware it was there in Logos. And considering that L4Mac has some issues with highlighting in the reference box by dragging, this will come in very handy!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS