Will we have to pay for updated NIV?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 21
Robert Slowley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 5 2010 1:46 AM

I don't currently have Logos, but am considering purchasing the Bible Study base package.

When an update is released for a translation does Logos distribute the update for free or do they charge for it?

Specifically: The NIV has just been updated, and I'm wondering whether in March when the paper editions arrive they will distribute an update for free or if they'll charge for the new translation.

If they're likely to charge it's probably not worth buying the base package now, and instead waiting until the NIV is updated.

Anyone have any thoughts or prior experience?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 4:18 AM

Robert Slowley:

I don't currently have Logos, but am considering purchasing the Bible Study base package.

When an update is released for a translation does Logos distribute the update for free or do they charge for it?

Specifically: The NIV has just been updated, and I'm wondering whether in March when the paper editions arrive they will distribute an update for free or if they'll charge for the new translation.

If they're likely to charge it's probably not worth buying the base package now, and instead waiting until the NIV is updated.

This would probably be a question for Logos sales to insure you get an accurate answer. They are closed right now, but if you email <sales at logos dot com> I'm sure they can give you an answer. 

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 11:21 AM

Robert Slowley:
Anyone have any ... prior experience?

There was no charge when the NASB77 edition was updated to NASB95. There was no charge when the TNIV was released. I don't know of a case where we were charged for an updated Bible, but there haven't been many such cases.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 12:00 PM

Robert Slowley:

Consider these two facts:

1. All Logos base packages are on sale for 20% off (- a significant savings.)
  2. The NIV software licensing fee has been $10 for years (if I am not mistaken) 

I think you would be ahead financially buying the base package now at discount. You may get the updated NIV 2011 for free or you may have to pay a small fee for it. It would certainly be less than the amount you save.

My only fear is the NIV 2011 would supplant my current NIV text. (Neither are my favorites but I much prefer my current edition over the newer ones.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 21
Robert Slowley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 12:07 PM

True - but while things are 20% off now, the reality is you can get 15% off through affiliate sites at any time, so it's really only an extra 5% at the moment.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 1:30 PM

Robert Slowley:

True - but while things are 20% off now, the reality is you can get 15% off through affiliate sites at any time, so it's really only an extra 5% at the moment.

So, you are confirming 20% is the best deal on Logos packages you know of?   Big Smile 

Even just a 5% savings off a $4200 Portfolio Edition is $210. I assume your "affiliate programs" discounts are also provided by Logos. I have heard of Academic discounts of substantial percentages being offered to seminary students. I would recommend students call the Academic Sales division of Logos to see if they qualify for an even bigger discount. I do not know from personal experience but even if it is only 5% better it would still be better.

Posts 21
Robert Slowley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 1:37 PM

Yes the 15% is via the Logos affiliate offers that are out there. I assume (but don't know) that 15% is the best a non seminary student can get outside of a special sale (I am academic staff but not at a seminary so I assume I can't get any academic discount).

20% is better than 15% of course, but 5% isn't a good reason to rush a decision (anyone have any idea when the 20% sale will end anyway?). On the Portfolio Edition it's $210 but I could never afford that edition anyway so that's not a helpful comparison.

I'm thinking about getting either the Scholar edition or the Bible Study edition.

Posts 604
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 1:44 PM

Robert Slowley:
I assume (but don't know) that 15% is the best a non seminary student can get outside of a special sale (I am academic staff but not at a seminary so I assume I can't get any academic discount).

You might qualify for 30%. A friend of mine who is a PhD candidate in biology got 30% off on the Bible Study Library.

Posts 21
Robert Slowley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 1:50 PM

Wow - how did he manage that? From the academic pricing pages it looks as if it only applies for seminaries, and even then only when the institution itself has signed up to the scheme.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 1:58 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I have heard of Academic discounts of substantial percentages being offered to seminary students.

Academic Pricing used to be secret on the old site, but it's publicly accessible on the new one (although it's so hard to find that may not be deliberate!). You can get there by going to About Logos, choosing Academic Program, then Teacher's Lounge, then Academic Discount Prices. You'll see base packages are around 30% discount for students and staff, and 50% for faculty.

Qualification is described as: "Degree seeking students, faculty and staff may take advantage of academic discounts. Students required to purchase the software for a class or as part of their degree may qualify for an even deeper discount. Part-time, non-degree seeking students, part-time staff, distance-ed students, and alumni may purchase at a lesser discount. Schools must verify the status of each participant."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 2:17 PM

Robert Slowley:
Yes the 15% is via the Logos affiliate offers that are out there. I assume (but don't know) that 15% is the best a non seminary student can get outside of a special sale (I am academic staff but not at a seminary so I assume I can't get any academic discount).

Don't write yourself out of eligibility without consulting Logos Academic Sales first. I am under the impression seminary professors also get the academic discount. And who knows, if Logos will offer discounts to other-than-seminary academic staff? Microsoft and Adobe (among others) offer academic discounts to homeschoolers.

Robert Slowley:
20% is better than 15% of course, but 5% isn't a good reason to rush a decision
I understand. But my real point to the original poster was the extra savings off any base package will be bigger than any cost to add NIV 2011 to his Logos library. Simply put, all other factors being equal, I would not delay the purchase solely for the NIV upgrade issue.

Robert Slowley:
I could never afford that edition anyway

Because of the high price of Portfolio Edition (and I still say it is well worth it) I wish Logos could extend the payment plan to 24 months and make it more accessible to everyone. For now it is available on a 12 month payment plan. If a person gave up cable TV and cut back on dining out, it can be achievable.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 2:26 PM

Robert Slowley:

Wow - how did he manage that? From the academic pricing pages it looks as if it only applies for seminaries, and even then only when the institution itself has signed up to the scheme.

I could hazard a guess the PhD in Biology was being pursued at a school that also offers religious degrees and may even require religious students to buy a Logos package. But that would only be a guess. Smile

Posts 3745
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 2:37 PM

Matthew C Jones:

My only fear is the NIV 2011 would supplant my current NIV text. (Neither are my favorites but I much prefer my current edition over the newer ones.)

Yes +1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 2:51 PM

Matthew C Jones:
But my real point to the original poster was the extra savings off any base package will be bigger than any cost to add NIV 2011 to his Logos library. Simply put, all other factors being equal, I would not delay the purchase solely for the NIV upgrade issue.

Speaking personally I would buy now, to make sure I had access to the 1984 edition! It's at least possible that Logos will need to withdraw the 1984 NIV from sale when the start selling the 2011. (It was [is?] very hard to get the 1977 NASB, for example.) By making the purchase now, you'll guarantee that you have both versions, even if you have to pay a little more for the newer one.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 3:22 PM

Mark Barnes:

(It was [is?] very hard to get the 1977 NASB, for example.)

This was something I found curious when I went to L4. In L3 I had NAS77 and 95. I used NAS77 all through college, memorizing a lot of passages with it. In L4 I seem to only have NAS95. I also have a print NAS95. Was there a point when Logos was required to stop making NAS77 available altogether?

It doesn't bother me a whole lot because the changes that I notice (primarily based on passages I memorized) seemed positive to me. But I'd love to do a comparison of them to see what the differences are. I suppose it must not mean that much to me, as someone on the web has probably posted the changes between the two.

Donnie

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 4:31 PM

Donnie Hale:
Was there a point when Logos was required to stop making NAS77 available altogether?

We don't know. It was put back on pre-pub when a number of people asked about getting it here. It is availble now in Logos: http://www.logos.com/product/7431/the-new-american-standard-bible-1977-edition

If you had the 1977 version in L3 you should still have it. I do and so do others.

EDIT: Here is the file info for the 1977 version

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 4:38 PM

Ditto, Mark. I still have NASB 77

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 4:56 PM

Mark A. Smith:

If you had the 1977 version in L3 you should still have it. I do and so do others.

Mark,

I can't find it in my library. What's the best way to guarantee I don't have it before I contact Logos to ask that they provide it to me?

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 26962
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:54 PM

Donnie Hale:

Mark A. Smith:

Mark,

I can't find it in my library. What's the best way to guarantee I don't have it before I contact Logos to ask that they provide it to me?

Make sure that nasb.logos4 does not exist in \Logos4\Data\{random string}\ResourceManager\Resources. If you have L3 check that nasb.lbxlls does not exists in C:\Program Files (x86)\Libronix DLS\Resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2010 10:24 PM

Donnie Hale:
What's the best way to guarantee I don't have it before I contact Logos to ask that they provide it to me?

What Dave suggested is probably what I would do. A quick way to double check your library is to type the LLS info into the Command Bar. It will offer to open the NASB if you have it.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS