Indexing... 373 hours to go

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 6 2010 7:17 AM

No, that's not a typo - I received the latest "resource updates are available" message and blindly pressed OK when I finished my work (still no UI to know what's in the list of updates).  It's been about 12 hours since I Logos started indexing and the estimate till completion time just keeps getting longer and longer.

Any ideas?

I'm running on Windows XP + SP3, version 4.20.4.7970 (latest beta channel update).

Posts 26594
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 8:16 AM

You might have the 1 GB update that came with 4.2 so you will get wild estimates because it tries to cover indexing the Bible Index and the main Library Index. 12 hours does seem a long time, though. Is this taking longer than a re-index you would have done in the past (including initial installation? Do you have any files in \My documents\Logos Log files? If so upload them.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 9:05 AM

Still indexing - coming up on 14 hours now - estimate is now at 385 hours to go.  There is nothing in \My documents\Logos Log files - just an old Logos4Crash.txt from about 2 weeks ago.  Any other ideas - 385 hours is 16 days, which is a tad long to have my CPU at 100%... :-(

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 9:08 AM

Stuart Robertson:

Still indexing - coming up on 14 hours now - estimate is now at 385 hours to go.  There is nothing in \My documents\Logos Log files - just an old Logos4Crash.txt from about 2 weeks ago.  Any other ideas - 385 hours is 16 days, which is a tad long to have my CPU at 100%... :-(

If your anti-virus does 'on access' (AKA 'real time') file scanning, that can really slow things down. You may want to disable that function and see what happens.

I know. I'm guessing. But it's something to try, and it doesn't cost anything.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 26594
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:04 PM

The best idea is to let Customer Support peek at your computer to see what is happening as we (in the forum) need some logs.

If you think it is going nowhere, then enable permanent logging, Pause indexing by right clicking the Logos icon in the Task Bar (Notification area) and kill logos4Indexer.exe in Task Manager.  Restart L4 and upload the logs after a couple of hours (don't stop the indexing!).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2776
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:48 AM

Did you try rebooting? [shut the computer off and restart from totally off]

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 6:15 AM

I've rebooted the machine (twice now), paused indexing, then killed the indexer exe via Process Explorer.  I've defragmented the disk and disabled antivirus.  But each time I restart indexing (that is, start up Logos and the indexer auto-starts) the estimate just climbs and climbs.  It was first at 8 minutes when I restarted, then 20 minutes and now, after about 10 minutes of indexing, the estimate is sitting at 47 minutes.

There is nothing in the logs folder so I will enable permanent logging and post whatever logs are produced as a result.

All of this grief because of an update - that I didn't "approve" - Logos simply says "Resources will be added - press OK to restart", basically and this is the result...  Some means of reviewing and/or "approving" or selecting resource updates really should be provided by Logos.  I can still run Logos for Mac, but my Windows Logos is, currently, totally dead.

I'll run the permanent logging thing for a bit but I'm not overly hopeful.  And the tired part of me wonders whether a re-install won't simply run into the same issue... ?

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 6:34 AM

Attached is Logos4Indexer.log.  Indexing seems fast in the beginning (CPU runs at nearly 100%) and then slows down to a crawl, estimated time till completion climbs steadily and CPU stays at about 60% - less than at the start when things seemed to be "moving".

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 6:37 AM

Would help if I attached the log file... :-) 8030.Logos4Indexer.log

Posts 26594
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 12:59 PM

Progress is being made. You can check the log periodically  eg.

Info    WindowsIndexerProgress    79 of 118 resources indexed; total progress is 39.2%

Info    BibleIndex    (1m 11.1s) Indexing LLS:LDGNT

These lines let you know how many resources have been indexed and that it is in the Bible Index.

Ignore the time estimates.

Later on, you should see similar lines for the main Library Index eg.

Info    WindowsIndexerProgress    12 of ??? resources indexed; total progress is 39.2%

Info    LibraryIndex    (1m 11.1s) Indexing LLS:29.2.6

Note that there will be more resources (???) in the Library Index than the 118 in Bible Index.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 1:41 PM

Restarted indexing - seems to be hung on entry 79 - see log with line: BibleIndex (Timed) Indexing LLS:LEB

Any ideas how to get it past entry 79?2072.Logos4Indexer.log

Estimate just keeps on growing...  remind me again why I'm doing this indexing thing...?!

Posts 26594
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 2:39 PM

Stuart Robertson:
Restarted indexing

Please don't do that (rebuild index?) because you can cause it to re-index unnecessarily  eg. you don't want it to repeat Bible indexing if it was doing Library indexing (use rebuild library index in that case).

Stuart Robertson:
Any ideas how to get it past entry 79?

It is also indexing KJV1900, AV1873 and 1.0.710 (ESV)  -- which are Reverse Interlinears and each one can take about 4-5 minutes on your system. 

How's it going now?

Tell me about your computer system (you seem to have a quad-core processor, but how fast?).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 4:24 PM

I didn't restart indexing using a Logos command - I just restarted the VM (Parallels 5) that it was running in and then restarted Logos.  I'm running Logos for Win inside an XP VM on a 17" Macbook Pro 2.66GHz, i7 with 8GB RAM.  It's normally very fast - faster than Logos for Mac, actually - but since the last resource update it's taking forever  - I gave the VM 2 extra CPUs - was 2 previously and increased to 4 in the hopes of speeding up indexing, but to no avail.

I've killed the indexer again so I can get some reading done - tomorrow's another day.  If the same issues continue then I will likely ask for advice on how to reinstall entirely - I've wasted so much time on this already... :-(

Posts 26594
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 9:42 PM

Stuart Robertson:
I didn't restart indexing using a Logos command - I just restarted the VM (Parallels 5) that it was running in and then restarted Logos.

Which then starts indexing from scratch! If you pause indexing (by right clicking the Logos icon in Task Bar) can you save the state of the VM, so that it allows the indexing to resume where you paused it?

Stuart Robertson:
I'm running Logos for Win inside an XP VM on a 17" Macbook Pro 2.66GHz, i7 with 8GB RAM.  It's normally very fast - faster than Logos for Mac, actually - but since the last resource update it's taking forever  - I gave the VM 2 extra CPUs - was 2 previously and increased to 4 in the hopes of speeding up indexing, but to no avail.

I doubt that you are getting 4 books indexing simultaneously or they are heavily using other VM resources and slowing each other down (specifically, the Reverse Interlinears). I'd go back to 2 CPU's for the VM, although it would mean starting the indexing from scratch.

Stuart Robertson:
If the same issues continue then I will likely ask for advice on how to reinstall entirely - I've wasted so much time on this already... :-(

It would still need to index!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 8 2010 6:31 AM

Dave Hooton:
Which then starts indexing from scratch! If you pause indexing (by right clicking the Logos icon in Task Bar) can you save the state of the VM, so that it allows the indexing to resume where you paused it?

I didn't know restarting the machine would cause the entire indexing process to be started from scratch... :-(  That's not tremendously helpful behaviour, especially since at the current rate indexing doesn't finish in 12 hours (not even close).  Basically have to leave it running all weekend and hope the estimate isn't at 4000 hours come Monday morning...

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS