Of All The Christmas 2010 Titles...

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 15 2010 4:29 AM

Of all the titles you can purchase at 50% off, which one lights your fire the most?  Of course this is highly subjective, but that's the point.  Which title made you do the happy dance?  (Yes, this is a not-so-clever way to help me make some decisions!)

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:02 AM

I am considering the following.

Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible - Logos Bible Software

To What End Exegesis? - Logos Bible Software

Prayer Is Invading the Impossible - Logos Bible Software

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1706
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:02 AM

See this thread of some ideas of how people responded:
    http://community.logos.com/forums/t/27287.aspx?PageIndex=5

I've listed some of the dozen or so I'm in the process of choosing.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 7:28 AM

Allen--thanks for your suggestion.  I have reread that thread and saw only a couple of people who actually list the titles they are going to purchase.  The rest of that thread seems to be debating Britain's fair trade practices!

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 7:53 AM

Garrett Mercury:

Allen--thanks for your suggestion.  I have reread that thread and saw only a couple of people who actually list the titles they are going to purchase.  The rest of that thread seems to be debating Britain's fair trade practices!

A lot of what I picked up was stuff that was recently freed from collections, and I was waiting on cheaper prices. Here's what I got:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 9:58 AM

Thanks Todd.  Your reply was helpful to me.

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 12:33 PM

Here's what I'm looking at:

Trying to decide between the last two (input welcomed!).

Jason

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 12:42 PM

I'm not buying them all but here are the resources I don't own that appear on bestcommentaries.com. some of them are rated commentaries, mainly the Black Commentaries., there are a couple in the Christmas list that I already own, also. I'm working on building up commentaries based on that website. Sorry I'm sending this as a picture, its the best I can do with the time I have.

EDIT: Due to incomplete tagging on the website it seems my list is incomplete.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 2:09 PM

I was able to add 5 of Wiersbe's "Be" series, 5 of the IVP NTCS, 2 from the B&H Baptist History Collection, The Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible, one of the last Spurgeon resources I didn't have in Logos (only lack the 2 from the Roger Williams Heritage Collection), and James Petigru Boyce's Abstracts of Systematic Theology.  

• Be Counted
  • Be Concerned
  • Be Basic
  • Be Authentic
  • Be Amazed
  • The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: 1-3 John
  • The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: 2 Corinthians
  • The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: Colossians & Philemon
  • The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: Hebrews
  • The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: James
  • Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible
  • Theologians of the Baptist Tradition
  • The Sacred Trust: Sketches of the Southern Baptist Convention Presidents
  • Abstract of Systematic Theology
  • Exploring the Mind and Heart of the Prince of Preachers: Five-Thousand Illustrations Selected from the Works of Charles Haddon Spurgeon

I would have to recommend to all the Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible because its the lowest I've ever seen it in price.

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 2:09 PM

Todd Phillips:

Hebrews Pre-Pub price $29.95; Acts Pre-Pub price $39.95

I've been looking at the Works of John Owen myself but the specific volumes I really want are not on sale. Haven't had time to look closely at this huge sale but am looking forward to some quality browsing time. I've been using the Acts commentary and am very thankful I purchased it.

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 2:43 PM

I am filling out some incomplete commentary sets:

Preaching the Word

NAC Zechariah

Could someone explain the benefits of the Dictionary of Demons and Deities? I have seen several of you suggest it.

Thanks

Posts 1706
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 4:33 PM

FWIW, I ended up choosing the Must Have and Significant from this list:

Status Title Author Publisher Year Pages US$
Must have Biblical Inspiration Howard I Marshall Paternoster 2005 125 $6.48
Must have Handbook to Exegesis of the New Testament Stanley Porter (ed) Logos     $27.48
Must have Missiology: An Introduction to the Foundations, History, and Strategies of World Missions Ebbie Smith et al B&H 1998 760 $20.00
Must have Mr Moody and the Evangelical Tradition Timothy George (Ed) T&T Clark 2004 160 $14.98
Must have New Testament Interpretation Howard I Marshall (Ed) Paternoster 1997 412 $24.48
Must have Old Testament Survey, 2nd ed. Paul House & Eric Mitchell B & H 2007 384 $20.00
Must have The New Testament: Its Background and Message Thomas D. Lea, Black, David Alan B&H 2003 653 $17.50
Must have To What End Exegesis? Fee Eerdmans 2001 378 $13.00
Significant Jesus Notley, R. Steven, Flusser, David Magnes Press 2001 324 $14.98
Significant Judaism and the Origins of Christianity David Flusser Magnes Press 2007 732 $16.00
Significant Seven Practices of Effective Ministry Andy Stanley et al Multnomah 2004   $10.00
Significant The Dead Sea Scrolls in their Historical Context Timothy Lim et al T&T Clark 2004 320 $14.98
Wish list A History of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period, Vol. 1 Sacchi, Paolo T&T Clark 2005 534 $42.00
Wish list Anthropology in Theological Perspective Pannenberg, Wolfhart T&T Clark 2004 552 $42.00
Wish list Atonement Collection   Paternoster     $72.69
Wish list Black's New Testament Commentary: The Epistle to the Galatians Dunn, James D G Hendrickson 1993 400 $17.47
Wish list Introduction to the Old Testament R K Harrison Eerdmans 1969 1325 $19.00
Wish list Jesus and the Gospels Marsh, Clive, Moyise, Steve T&T Clark 2006 128 $17.48
Wish list Prayer Is Invading the Impossible Jack Hayford Bridge-Logos 1999 199 $4.00
Wish list Quest for Paul's Gospel: A Suggested Strategy Campbell, Douglas A. T&T Clark 2005 274 $70.00
Wish list Systematic Theology (3 vols.) Pannenberg, Wolfhart Eerdmans 2001   $67.50
Wish list The Concise Dictionary of Christian Theology, rev. ed. Erickson, Millard J. Crossway Books 2001   $8.98
Wish list The Iliad in Greek and Translation Homer       $19.98
Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 4:42 PM

I bought for following:

Most of these I already own in paper. Several of the other excellent volumes suggested by others, I already have. If I didn't already have them, I'd definitely have snapped up the three Pillar volumes. God's Indwelling Presence is also excellent.

The "Reading the NT" commentary set I nearly didn't buy. It's not amongst the top line sets, but I needed a few volumes and I have most of the other sets already, and the print versions are expensive, so in the end the price tempted me.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:30 PM

John Fidel:

Could someone explain the benefits of the Dictionary of Demons and Deities? I have seen several of you suggest it.

John, for what I have used it for, check out the videos at the bottom of this page on the Ugaritic Resources. You will see an example of how the Dictionary of Demons and Deities proved useful in researching background info on the OT....

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:46 PM

Here's what I ended up doing:

The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac $0.00
Reading the New Testament Commentary (12 vols.) $131.50
The JPS Bible Commentary: Jonah $17.48
The JPS Torah Commentary: Exodus $37.50
The JPS Torah Commentary: Genesis $37.50
New American Commentary: Isaiah 40–66 $15.00
Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Letter to the Philippians $22.00
Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Acts of the Apostles $32.50
Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Letter to the Hebrews $25.00
Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:59 PM

Thanks Dominick!

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 1:01 PM

I picked up several of the Black's NT Commentaries, along with a few volumes from the IVP NT Commentary series, College Press Commentary series, and two of Lenski's commentaries.  This is one of the best sales I can remember Logos having in a long time.  Thanks, Logos!.

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 1:04 PM

I briefly considered getting the Dictionary of Deities and Demons at the sale price, but when I discovered there was no entry for me decided to pass. Wink

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS