Create Customized Reading Plan?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2
Keith.Schlottman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 27 2010 2:10 PM

Is it possible to create a customized reading plan?  Our church produced a 2011 Bible Reading Plan and I would like to set it up in Logos, but it's not simply a "read the bible sequentially in a year" type of plan.

I'm a brand new Logos user so maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

If Logos is not capable of doing this, please consider this to be an improvement suggestion for a future update.

Thanks,

Keith Schlottman

Posts 25880
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 2:38 PM

Hi Keith - and welcome to the forums

Keith.Schlottman:
Is it possible to create a customized reading plan?

Yes, you can do this.

If - from the file menu - you select "Reading Plan" 

you will get a window describing a new reading plan.

You can see that it is defaulting to ESV (which I have selected as my preferred Bible) and to read all passages in a year

You can change the Bible translation used by clicking on the Bible and selecting the resource you want

In the example below I have typed NIV into the find box to allow me to select the NIV

To change the passages which are read - which is the key thing I think you want to do - click on field which initially has "All Passages"

and then add the passages you want to read, in the order you want them, in the "new reference range" box.

http://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plans shows some custom reading plans which have been defined and which you can simply copy and paste into the reference range box.

You can finish it off by adjusting the frequency by customising the remaining fields.

Hope this helps - if not, please post back.

Graham

Posts 2
Keith.Schlottman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 2:55 PM

Thanks Graham!

That helps, but I'm still having trouble.

The plan has us reading a single chapter each weekday.  So, for example, the first week of January looks like this:  Jan 3rd-Gen Chapter 1; Jan 4th-Gen 2; Jan 5th-Gen 3; Jan 6th-Gen 4; Jan 7th-Gen 5.  The second week begins on Jan 10th with Gen Chapter 6, and so on.  After finishing Genesis in March, we move on to another book of the Bible.

But it appears that Logos simply takes the references and splits them up according to some logic, and I don't see any way to modify that.  So, I'm not able to specify a single chapter per day.

Hope that makes sense - and thanks again for your help!

Keith

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 4:51 PM

Keith,

I tried but couldn't bet Logos to break at chapter boundaries....it was "mostly" at chapter boundaries..but not always...

I think it would be a good suggestion as an improvement....I'd like it.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 25880
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 11:01 PM

Keith.Schlottman:
But it appears that Logos simply takes the references and splits them up according to some logic, and I don't see any way to modify that.  So, I'm not able to specify a single chapter per day.

Hi Keith

Yes, this is currently a limitation - with the ability to stop at chapter boundaries having been requested by others (eg http://community.logos.com/forums/p/21224/159132.aspx).

Logos has set up a voting system - called Uservoice - http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4 to track these types of suggestions. There is one for more control of Reading Plans at http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/617849-more-control-over-reading-plans and you might wish to add your votes to it.

Graham

Posts 17
Adam Hanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 6:31 AM

Questions for Mr. Criddle: I assume the limitations would also constrict a reading plan I want to add that would include a daily reading of portions in respective categories: Law, Prophets, Poetry, Gospels, and Epistles?  The dean at my bible college has worked on a reading plan for quite sometime and has it completed.  I wonder if I send it in that it could be made into an available, download-able reading plan? It carries the reader through each five categories (all of the Bible) and all connections are in harmony.  I would love to have more than just a print out I keep of it to stay on task. Can it be done or sent in?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 6:45 AM

Adam Hanna:
I assume the limitations would also constrict a reading plan I want to add that would include a daily reading of portions in respective categories: Law, Prophets, Poetry, Gospels, and Epistles? 

You should be able to do this. Here is my current reading plan for the first half of next year. It covers the Historical and Poetic books (minus Psalm, prov) in the first reading, Prophet books in the second, gospels in the third (One Gospel a month was my goal, thus the additional Matt-Mark), the forth is acts and the epistles, then a reading in Psalms and a couple of verses in Proverbs.

Gen-Job,eccl-song|Isaiah-Mal,rev|Matt-John, Matt-Mark|Act-Jude|Psalm|Prov

And this is what it looks like

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 6:51 AM

Adam Hanna:
I would love to have more than just a print out I keep of it to stay on task.

Here's an easy solution. have your Dean make his reading plan in Logos :-)

Posts 17
Adam Hanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 1:16 PM

Wow, how do you input the information in the bar?  I think my dean does not know how and asked me to tell him if I figure it out.  The problem is it's not just as simple as read Gen along with these other books.  It is very specific passages for the day covering the range of categorized Bible books. 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 1:53 PM

You can copy and paste the line I put above in the box indicated below. You can create your own as well. Separate the different readings with a vertical bar, which is a combination of the two circled keys below. You'll notice that I want to follow the OT Prophets with Rev, so I put both between two vertical bars and then separated them with commas (just a comma, no space). So once I'm done Malachi, that reading will continue with Revelation. For my Gospel reading I will be reading Matt, Mark, Luke, John, Matt, and Mark. Here is the string again.

Gen-Job,eccl-song|Isaiah-Mal,rev|Matt-John,Matt-Mark|Act-Jude|Psalm|Prov

Posts 17
Adam Hanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:17 PM

Awesome, this helped very much!  I will give it a try tomorrow morning.  I shall let you know if it worked.  Also, if this does work, am I able to share it with my dean or other students as well? I assume I would give them a line of data to copy and paste like the examples you have given. 

Posts 17
Adam Hanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 6:23 AM

Ok so it worked great. Did not match up perfectly with his specific corresponding passages aligned with other specific passage in the respective categories but it's pretty close.  This will be great for this year!!  Thanks a ton!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 6:32 AM

Glad I could help!

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 2:26 PM

Paul, is there a way to get this reading schedule into Logos' reading plan: http://orlmarionil.org/information/52_week_bible_reading_plan.php.  Because I am one of those folks who follows the church year, this plan starts the first Sunday of Advent.

Thanks

Posts 25880
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 2:43 PM

Hi Tom

You can get close - but I don't know of a way of getting it exactly because Logos reading plans take start & end criteria and a duration and then work out the actual readings for each day.

The only way I can see of getting close is to set up 7 separate reading plans - one for each day of the week - which start w/c 28 Nov 2010.

For the first reading plan set the range to be Romans - Jude, for the second Genesis - Deuteronomy etc.

As I say this won't be a complete match but the best I can work out.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 4:00 PM

Graham Criddle:

The only way I can see of getting close is to set up 7 separate reading plans - one for each day of the week - which start w/c 28 Nov 2010.

For the first reading plan set the range to be Romans - Jude, for the second Genesis - Deuteronomy etc.

Thanks Graham,

I was hoping that this could be one reading plan - not seven.

Posts 2
Ed Groover | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 9:58 AM

I have two questions:

1.  I can't save the reading plan I create.  The "save" button doesn't light up as in the image above. How can I correct this?

2.  How can I tell Logos that I want to read through psalms twice and proverbs twelve times in the year?

Thanks,

Ed

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 10:10 AM

Welcome to the forum Ed!

Ed Groover:
1.  I can't save the reading plan I create.  The "save" button doesn't light up as in the image above. How can I correct this?

Did you enter text to the left of the Save button? If so, does the box have a red border around it? A red border indicates that your filename is invalid.

Ed Groover:
2.  How can I tell Logos that I want to read through psalms twice and proverbs twelve times in the year?

In the range box enter: Psalms|prov,prov,prov,prov,prov,prov. Then change one year to be 6 months (and restart at the end of 6 months).

EDIT: this will allow you to read in Psalms & Proverbs daily. You will go through Psalms once in 6 months. You will read through Proverbs 6 times within the 6 months.

EDIT2: for more information, see the wiki Reading Plan (Basics).

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 2
Ed Groover | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 11:46 AM

Thanks.  But no, there is not a red border.  The button remains faded out, even when starting a new plan.  Very frustrating.

Thanks for the link to the wiki and the range listing help.

Ed

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 12:17 PM

Ed Groover:
But no, there is not a red border.  The button remains faded out, even when starting a new plan.  Very frustrating.

A.  When i have the Range box filled and then enter a title in the Title box the Save button becomes enabled.
      (i am using the Windows version of Logos4 version 4.2, if you are using the Mac...then i don't know)
      Also this is an optional step, it is not necessary when setting your Range.

B.  If you want to skip the Title (but have entered your Range), then just click on the Range link to close the range drop down.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS