Suggestion: Full resource information in Library information view

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:52 PM

Maybe this is possible - if so, I haven't figured out how.

When a resource is open and I click the "information" icon (small 'i' in a circle), I get a detailed set of information about the resource, including some technical stuff about the resource's identifier and filename as well as the searchable fields in the resource.

In the Library view, with the information pane open (toggled with the same icon as previously described, incidentally), I only get a small amount of information about the same resource. It would be great to see the same information in both places.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:54 PM

Yes! Yes

I've requested this before, a long time ago before UserVoice, and nothing ever came of it. Maybe we should put in a suggestion on UserVoice. I'm out of votes at the moment. Do you have any left?

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 8:41 PM

Rosie Perera:

Yes! Yes

I've requested this before, a long time ago before UserVoice, and nothing ever came of it. Maybe we should put in a suggestion on UserVoice. I'm out of votes at the moment. Do you have any left?

I do have one vote left. I'd be more inclined to use UserVoice if I was getting any feedback (implicit or explicit) from Logos that they paid attention to the suggestions and feature requests that are consistently repeated in the forums and on UserVoice. But I don't get the sense that the issues that L4 users are passionate about have much influence on what Logos works on.

Instead we get inquiries about what kind of obtuse (cloud-based) searches we may want to do. I read these forums a lot (though not for a long period of time yet). I haven't seen people state the the current search capabilities aren't powerful enough. I have seen numerous requests for improved topic capabilities and better / more consistent indexing of different data types (heading text, etc.) across all resources so that they could use existing search capabilities. Could Logos just do that?

Or - today's news - support for Kindle-like highlight sharing. I don't see lots of demand for more cloud-based features (as shared highlighting would be). I do see lots of people wanting the ability to: a) at one end of the spectrum, have more control of what's cloud-based and what's not (e.g. totally private reading plans); or b) at the other end, completely disconnect from the cloud for everything, save perhaps program and resource updates - and even those under a lot more explicit control. (I know they'll never do fine-grained, "pick a resource" support. I'm not talking about that.)

And of course every other day someone starts a new thread wanting Kindle support for resources. How about a definitive statement on that? "It will never happen." Or, "Only 20% of our resources could possibly be licensed." Or, "Amazon just opened up the platform. We're researching the opportunity." Or, "What would you be willing to pay, per resource, to be able to 'export' it to Kindle?"

Anyway, sorry to go on... I personally don't complain about this much because I still only know how to use about 20% of the functionality that's already there. But there are numerous good, straightforward suggestions made every week that just don't seem to be given any weight.

My $.02... Thanks for replying, Rosie.

Donnie

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 6:22 AM

Donnie Hale:

I do have one vote left. I'd be more inclined to use UserVoice if I was getting any feedback (implicit or explicit) from Logos that they paid attention to the suggestions and feature requests that are consistently repeated in the forums and on UserVoice. But I don't get the sense that the issues that L4 users are passionate about have much influence on what Logos works on.

Logos does listen to the issues that lots of users vote for. Passion from a few vocal users does not weigh as heavily as lots of users expressing interest in a particular feature, and like it or not, UserVoice is the most objective means they have of measuring the number of users who want something. The forums only give a subjective view of the level of passion of the users who want it.

There is good evidence that Logos has paid attention to the votes on UserVoice. There are 28 completed requests and 18 accepted for implementation in an upcoming release among the items there. I suggest that UserVoice is still a good way to get our desires heard by Logos. The forums are a good way to share our passion with each other and drum up mutual support from other users, and send them over to the UserVoice link to vote on the feature request.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 7:30 AM

Great! I transferred my vote over from something else to this, because I want this more. Thanks for adding it.

Other folks reading this thread: please vote for this!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS