Isaiah 43:3 - Savior and sozo

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 31 2010 10:31 AM

After reading the word Savior in Isa 43:3, I am trying to find it's Greek equivalent in the LXX. 

I open my ESV and my LXX because I don't understand Greek or Hebrew.  I find Isa 43:3 and highlight the word Savior so that it highlights in my LXX.  I then right click on the LXX word for Savior (sozo) and do a word study on the lemma. 

No New Testament hits come up but the WSNTDICT says it appears 54 times in the gospels alone.  Am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 31 2010 11:23 AM

There is an error in the spelling of the Lemma in the LXX, it's listed as σώζω instead of σῴζω, notice that there is a little mark under the omega, it's called an iota subscript.

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 31 2010 12:19 PM

Thanks Kevin - now I know what happens when you're off by one iota!  I would never have known that.

Any idea how I can search for this word in the NT?  I also searched by transliteration and came up empty.

Thanks for your help.

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 31 2010 12:37 PM

I figured it out - I searched for <g4982>, duh! 

106 results.  Thanks.

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 31 2010 2:49 PM

Hi Anthony

Good that you found a way.

To do the lemma search in the NT you can do something like this:

So, a morph search on the NT - type in the transliteration after a "g:" and then select the lemma (which has the English gloss) next to it.

This gets 106 results (as you got with Strongs) but hopefully this will be useful in the future.

Graham

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 31 2010 4:32 PM

Thanks Graham.

This is actually an easier and  better way to get the job done - thanks for the shortcut. 

Grace and Peace

Anthony

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS