Address bar display

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 7 2009 4:06 PM

In Bibles it makes little or no sense to have the page number displayed since no one references passages by page numbers.  In other books it may or may not be useful to have a Bible display but might more usefully be referenced by page number.  In some books such as commentaries either method might be useful.  Could we at least drop the page number display on Bibles?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 26597
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 5:38 PM

Which bibles?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 6:44 PM

Dave Hooton:

Which bibles?

Any and all.  I opened up my NA27 and it came up with a page number.  I thought, "That's not very helpful!"

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 6:45 PM
Hi, George: I assume that you're aware you can set the indexing in Bibles to either pages or verses (icon to the right if the address bar). And I agree that for 95% of typical Libronix use for Bibles, page numbers are not needed. However, having access to the pages numbers is useful for at least three reasons: 1. When teaching or communicating with others who use a hardcopy of the book, page numbers are very useful for the "helps" sections that don't have versification. 2. When moving thru those nonversified sections, which in some Study Bibles can be very extensive, the up/dn keys can be ref'd to pages rather than "chapters" which may not have useful granularity. 3. When referring to those pages in an external writeup, proper bibliographic style calls for page # info.

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 7:15 PM

JimDean:
Hi, George: I assume that you're aware you can set the indexing in Bibles to either pages or verses (icon to the right if the address bar). And I agree that for 95% of typical Libronix use for Bibles, page numbers are not needed. However, having access to the pages numbers is useful for at least three reasons: 1. When teaching or communicating with others who use a hardcopy of the book, page numbers are very useful for the "helps" sections that don't have versification. 2. When moving thru those nonversified sections, which in some Study Bibles can be very extensive, the up/dn keys can be ref'd to pages rather than "chapters" which may not have useful granularity. 3. When referring to those pages in an external writeup, proper bibliographic style calls for page # info.

You would assume correctly.  I simply think it's of little or no use to refer to page numbers in a Bible [Although, when I was in a fundamentalist church as a kid, the pastor would sometimes give a page number -- for the Schofield Reference Bible].

george
gfsomsel

Posts 26597
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 7:19 PM

George Somsel:
Any and all.

Very few bibles have a page number. The only English bible seems to be Cambridge Paragraph, the only Greek bible is NA27 but no Hebrew bible has it!

Some users have asked for page numbers but I do not see their value when there is a Bookmark feature to track one's reading (or a Bible Reading Plan!). Some would like a standard page length for scrolling purposes.

The presence of a page number does not worry me!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 7:50 PM

Dave Hooton:
Very few bibles have a page number. The only English bible seems to be Cambridge Paragraph, the only Greek bible is NA27 but no Hebrew bible has it!

So I just happened to hit it "lucky."  I am not worried so much by page numbers, but it seems strange to go to the address bar to enter a reference only to discover that it has a page number !

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 8:12 PM

JimDean:

Jim,

Are you telling me some English language Bibles are paginated all the same? In Japan this is the norm rather than the exception. Since a very minuscule portion of the population knows anything of the organization of Biblical books, the publishers made sure the Bibles are paginated the same. Even if the Bibles are of different sizes. That way the preacher can refer to the page number and the congregation can turn there quickly without embarrassment or much delay. If things in the English speaking world keep going towards paganism, we may need the page numbers standardized in the future. LOGOS is just ahead of their time.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2009 5:22 AM

Are you telling me some English language Bibles are paginated all the same?

Alas, no, Matthew.  The huge variety of study Bibles, and the insatiable appetite of the American believer for different sizes, shapes, colors, materials, tabs, snaps, ribbons, illustrations, and so forth would make it impracticable from a marketing sense to follow this clean approach that our brothers/sisters in Japan are using. 

We have adopted a practice in our church services of posting the page numbers next to scripture ref's in the sermon notes, keyed to the pew Bibles ... which btw are super-inexpensive NKJV's distrib by American Bible Society ... in case lots of 20, they only cost about $3.65 apiece ... so we encourage visitors to take them home with them!  ABS also offers a comparably-paginated/typset NT ... of course the page numbers are all smaller, but they're "offset" by a fixed amount from the OT+NT. 

This entire topic really is not very important, imo.  I just responded to G's query to try to help him either find the icon or to understand possible uses of the alternative mapping. 

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2009 6:06 AM

JimDean:
This entire topic really is not very important, imo.  I just responded to G's query to try to help him either find the icon or to understand possible uses of the alternative mapping. 

No, if only 2 bibles in the Logos collection are affected, it really isn't very important.  I thought it probably affected every bible since the one I happen to use most other than BHS opened up showing page number.  Forget that I mentioned it (though I would like to see that option removed from even the 2 that have it).

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS