Please Recommend some books!!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 53
Paul Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011 7:19 AM

Hi Guys,

I sometimes find looking trawling through the list of Logo's books a bit overwhelming due to alot of books being too advanced, however i was wondering would someone please recommend a few books for a first year Religious Studies student?   As i am only a student i would rather spend my money on books that would be useful to me now than in say 5 years. Im interested in peoples opinions. Please help!!Tongue Tied

Paul

Ballygrainey Presbyterian Church, Northern Ireland - Loving, Serving and Sharing Christ.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 7:23 AM

What base Logos package do you have?  Are you taking any language courses?

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 53
Paul Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 7:51 AM

Hi Jerry,

I have Logos 4 Scholars Silver and no language classes as of yet. Im just curious to see which books others think would be useful as a first year student.

Core Studies this year are:

Hebrew Scriptures, Greek Scriptures, Theology of the Hebrew Scriptures, The Church of The First 5 Decades, Exegesis of the Hebrew Scriptures, Comparative Religions, The Prison Epistles, The Book of Revelation, Ministry and Worship.

Paul.

Ballygrainey Presbyterian Church, Northern Ireland - Loving, Serving and Sharing Christ.

Posts 2829
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 8:05 AM

1.  The best base package you can afford.

2.  For the money - The IVP Essential Reference Library - try to buy it for no more than $120. 

3.  Great value - The Tyndale Commentary set.

4.  When you can afford it - New International Commentaries on the OT/NT. 

God bless you as you prepare for a lifetime of service to our Lord.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 8:13 AM

Paul Bradley:

Hi Jerry,

I have Logos 4 Scholars Silver and no language classes as of yet. Im just curious to see which books others think would be useful as a first year student.

Core Studies this year are:

Hebrew Scriptures, Greek Scriptures, Theology of the Hebrew Scriptures, The Church of The First 5 Decades, Exegesis of the Hebrew Scriptures, Comparative Religions, The Prison Epistles, The Book of Revelation, Ministry and Worship.

Are any of your required textbooks available in Logos?  That's the first place I'd start.

You can't go wrong getting The Essential IVP Reference Collection Version 3.  It is a set of references that will be useful now and in the future.  You would also benefit in getting the Tyndale Commentaries.  They are an inexpensive set of quality commentaries that cover the whole bible. (BTW, shop around for the best prices for these two).

Also, based on your classes, it looks like you could use some introductions, like:
Zondervan Old and New Testament Introductions (9 vols.) (if you can afford it, this collection would be a good addition)
Introduction to the Old Testament by Harrison, R. K. 
The Faith of Israel: A Theological Survey of the Old Testament, 2nd ed. by Dumbrell, William J. 
Baker Encountering the Bible Collection (3 vols.)
(There are already some introductions in Scholar's silver, but these would probably be better).

(edited: fixed some links)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 53
Paul Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 8:16 AM

Thank you Michael and Todd, they all look brilliant.

Paul

Posts 264
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:11 AM

Paul,

These recommendations you have received are good - particularly the Tyndale Commentaries.  In addition to these, I would also commend to you The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE) and the Expositor's Bible Commentary (EBC). You have a wealth of great resources with Silver, but you lack a top shefl Bible dictionary/encyclopedia. The EBC is another solid commentary set that covers the whole Bible. It is also considered scholarly enough that you can quote it in academic papers, etc. Really good bang for your buck. Blessings to you and keep studying!

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:18 AM

Talk to sales about student discount, if you haven't already.

And I strongly recommend Word Bible Commentary.  If you can't get it for $499 or less, wait till it's on sale again at special offer.

Posts 27640
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 1:22 PM

I would suggest as directly related to the class list:

Torah through Time by Cherry
In the Shadow of the Temple by Skarsaune, Oskar
Worship in the Early Church by Martin, Ralph P.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 1:44 PM

Michael, I would agree with the IVP Collection as a no-brainer.  Simply outstanding, and you will use it a LOT.  Without any language at all, you will easily be referring the Keener's background commentary, Ryken's Dictionary of Biblical Imagery

I also agree with others who have recommended ISBE.  I was always into it during seminary, and still refer to it.  The new Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible looks to give that a run for its money, though.  May come down to price for you.  And many will recommend AYBD, too.

A lot depends on your theological leaning and need/desire.  As for commentaries, I heartily concur with the Tyndale and EBC sets.  The former being more amillenial, the later premillenial.  Both excellent, with perhaps Tyndale being overall more consistent (in quality), especially in the OT.

A great little OT Introduction that was my textbook: LaSor/Hubbard, etc

ALSO--a book I referred to a LOT was Walter Elwell's Evangelical Dictionary of Theology.  You can get it alone (link) or as part of the good, but more than you need at this time--baker theology collection.  You will find all kinds of helpful articles on people, theological themes, etc.  Succinct and well written.  Unless you are not anywhere near the evangelical camp you may find that an indispensable tool.

Peace.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 53
Paul Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 3:19 PM

Thank you Guys, I really appreciate all your help.

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS