Concordance search

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Carlos Pena | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:53 AM

How do I do a simple concordance search in Logos 4?  For example, finding how often and where a particular word is used in the NT.  Any help would be appreciated.

Posts 25131
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:59 AM

Hi Carlos - and welcome to the forums

You basically click on the magnifying glass at the top-left of the Logos window, select a Bible search, type in the word you are interested, select the passage range and translation you want and click the blue arrow - and you get something like the attached

More details can be found at http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help

Does this give you what you need?

Graham

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:02 AM

Carlos V. Pena:

How do I do a simple concordance search in Logos 4?  For example, finding how often and where a particular word is used in the NT.  Any help would be appreciated.

In Logos there is really no need for a concordance.  First, I must ask what it is you are attempting to find.  Are you wanting to find an original language use or are you looking for an English (Spanish ?) use?  If the latter, you can do a bible search (<alt-s>), select the bible(s) you wish to search as well as the scripture portion (all, Pentateuch, gospels, Paul, etc) and enter your search term.  If you are searching for a phrase, be sure to enclose it with quotation marks or it will find all occurrences of each individual word rather than the phrase.  If you are interested in doing a morphological search, let me know and I can give instructions for that as well.  With a little practice you will find that Logos is quite useful for finding such items.  Don't get frustrated if you initially have a problem.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4
Carlos Pena | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:09 AM

Thanks. I should have provided more info. I wanted to find how and how often a particular Greek word is used.  This would be helpful to me.

Posts 4
Carlos Pena | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:12 AM

Thanks.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:17 AM

Carlos V. Pena:

Thanks. I should have provided more info. I wanted to find how and how often a particular Greek word is used.  This would be helpful to me.

Carlos, the way I do it is the easiest one. I use ESV Bible (you can use any Bible with Reverse Interlinears like NASB, NKJV etc.) I right-click on the English word in the NT and in the context menu click Lema. Then just do Search this resource. Here is an example:

Bohuslav

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:22 AM

The result of the search described above is here:

You can also search the Greek NT directly. Here is the context menu you can see when you right-click on the Greek word. You can do different types of the search:

Bohuslav

Posts 4
Carlos Pena | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:26 AM

Thanks, this is a good way to find what I wanted.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:36 AM

Carlos V. Pena:

There is more than one way to do this though the best way is to begin with the morphological search.  I will assume that you are wanting to search the NT rather than the LXX or some non-biblical Greek text.  Select "NA27" as the resource and set the parameters ("all passages", "gospels", "Paul", etc).  Either enter "g:" followed immediately with no intervening space by a transliteration of the search word (e.g. "hamartia") OR, using the Windows capacity to type in different languages, type in the native Greek word (e.g. ἁμαρτία).  If you don't have the Logos biblical language keyboards, you can download them from

http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/keyboards

They come with a PDF file explaining installation.  If you wish to search for a phrase in the morphological search, the process has a different method from searching for a phrase in an English bible, i.e., you cannot simply enclose the phrase in quotes.  If you want to do that, I can explain, but I'll keep it simple for now.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS