Suggestion: More sort options for Search results

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 12 2011 2:58 AM

I'd like to be able to sort my Search results by type. I could accomplish this in a clunky sort of way by creating collections for all the main types I'd expect to find useful search hits in and then doing a separate search in each of those collections. But it would be much nicer to be able to browse the search results as grouped (and collapsible) by type.

It would also be useful to be able to sort by publication date for certain types of searches. More or less recently published results might be more relevant, for example, depending on what your type of research is.

Finally, for curiosity's sake, if you can throw it in as a freebie, it would be nice to be able to sort by last updated date, so I could check and see if any of the typos I've reported have been fixed in the latest resource updates so that I can go in and remove my "typo" highlighting. Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 8:58 PM

Yes

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:11 PM

Rosie Perera:
It would also be useful to be able to sort by publication date for certain types of searches. More or less recently published results might be more relevant, for example, depending on what your type of research is.

I actually thought something very similar the day before you posted this: it would sometimes be very useful if we could have 3 metadata date fields in stead of just 2 -- Original Publication Date (for the first print edition), Publication Date (for the print version of the Logos edition), and Electronic Publication Date -- and then be able to sort search results by the Original Publication Date. Should be very useful when trying to track down things like which church father first used some theological word we now take for granted, or who first taught about the rapture, or who first suggested that an archaeological find should be interpreted in a particular way.

Of course you'd still have to check that the words in Logos' 1856 edition were actually there in the original 1811 edition as well (and not inserted later because the author heard the idea in someone else's sermon in 1850). And of course it might turn out that the only place in you Logos library where you can find the answer is in a footnote from 1996. But in many cases it should be useful to sort like this when trying to follow the development of some thought. But they'd have to fix the date fields first! Right now they're pretty useless.

Rosie Perera:
it would be nice to be able to sort by last updated date, so I could check and see if any of the typos I've reported have been fixed in the latest resource updates so that I can go in and remove my "typo" highlighting

Why would you need that in Search? Can't you use Last Updated in your Library? Unlike me, you've got that, haven't you?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 3:49 PM

fgh:

Rosie Perera:
it would be nice to be able to sort by last updated date, so I could check and see if any of the typos I've reported have been fixed in the latest resource updates so that I can go in and remove my "typo" highlighting

Why would you need that in Search? Can't you use Last Updated in your Library? Unlike me, you've got that, haven't you?

Sorting in the Library doesn't show me which resource I have highlighted with my "typo" highlighting style, though. Whenever I report a typo, I flag it that way so I can follow up on it later. I can do a search for all my typo highlighting. If I could sort those search results by last updated date, I'd be able to more easily check the resources that have any chance of having had the typos fixed since I reported them, so see if I can remove the typo highlighting.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 5:47 AM

Rosie Perera:
Sorting in the Library doesn't show me which resource I have highlighted with my "typo" highlighting style, though. Whenever I report a typo, I flag it that way so I can follow up on it later. I can do a search for all my typo highlighting. If I could sort those search results by last updated date, I'd be able to more easily check the resources that have any chance of having had the typos fixed since I reported them, so see if I can remove the typo highlighting.

You could make a temporary collection of the newest updates and search that. And for the future you could add the tag "typo" to such resources. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 1:25 PM

fgh:
You could make a temporary collection of the newest updates and search that.

That's a good idea.

fgh:
And for the future you could add the tag "typo" to such resources. 

Not necessary. That wouldn't give me anything that searching for the "typo" highlighting style doesn't already give me.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 1:49 PM

Rosie Perera:
That wouldn't give me anything that searching for the "typo" highlighting style doesn't already give me.

It would give you the option to write mytag:typo in the library prior to sorting by last updated, thus reducing the number of resources in the temporary collection and the search.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19253
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 10:52 PM

fgh:

Rosie Perera:
That wouldn't give me anything that searching for the "typo" highlighting style doesn't already give me.

It would give you the option to write mytag:typo in the library prior to sorting by last updated, thus reducing the number of resources in the temporary collection and the search.

Oh, I see. Good solution. Still, the likelihood that I would remember to tag each work after reporting a typo in it is pretty low. And I've already reported literally thousands of typos, so I'd have to go back and tag all those works that show up in a search for typo highlighting. I'm not sure I'm that committed to following up on my typo reports.

Posts 60
Gregory Chambers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 8:40 AM

Yes, please!  Just today I was searched for "do not fear". The results are by verse, but I would like to see them sorted by speaker.  More search result sort options would be great.  Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS