Profile Switching

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
James Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:21 PM

At the present time, I use Logos in multiple contexts;

1. Personal study/research

2. Sermon preparation

3. Academic study (2 different institutions)

Whilst there is some crossover between these in terms of the resources, I often end up using different sets of commentaries/dictionaries, which can be easily defined in collections.  However, when it comes to shortcuts and priorities, these seem to be fixed to a single set-up.

It would be very useful to be able to switch profiles, in order in to customise Logos for what I am doing, having, for example, different sets of prioritised resources and different shortcut buttons within each profile.  Also, tying settings such as the citation style and preferred bible to a profile rather than a global setting would be helpful to save continuously changing them back and forth.

Thanks,

James.

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 3:09 PM

Exellent idea!!  You should add this one to UserVoice!  :)  Yes

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 5:35 PM

I've struck similar problems. I'd rather a macro system than a profile system, as (for example) I wouldn't want to maintain two different prioritisations, whereas I would want some other customisations which you might not need.

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 5:55 PM

Hello,

I thought he was talking about something similar to a windows logon, where according to which mode of life you are in you sign in with that mode in mind. Not really a "maintaining" of profiles, as far as I understand, but rather an separately adjusted Logos for each mode of life  :) (ex. His & Hers  :)

Thanks!

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 7:51 PM

Douglas:

I thought he was talking about something similar to a windows logon, where according to which mode of life you are in you sign in with that mode in mind. Not really a "maintaining" of profiles, as far as I understand, but rather an separately adjusted Logos for each mode of life  :) (ex. His & Hers  :)

I'm not sure what the extent of the OP's intent was, but I doubt he was talking about what you're describing. What you're describing is already possible since Logos has a per-user licensing policy, so "he" and "she" would have to buy their own copy of Logos, and all their personal settings and resources are stored with their user profile. As each one logs on, those would come into play in using a totally separate installation of Logos. A single user that sometimes works as a pastor but sometimes wants to do personal study or academic research might want to have different shortcuts and settings for those different purposes.

The best suggestion I can come up with for now is to use supersets of all the things one might want to switch differently in different profiles, and then you have access to all of them all the time. For example, create three different highlighting palettes, one each for pastor, academic, and devotional. Create three different main folders under Favorites. Put all the shortcuts you might want access to in any of your three modes on the shortcut bar but in three different groupings. (This is easier with a wide monitor so there's isn't too much crowding of buttons.)

Prioritization and Program Settings unfortunately could not be handled this way, so there might still be a need to group such settings together under switchable profiles, but I'm guessing the need for this would be relatively minuscule and not something Logos is likely to consider a priority in the near future. However it's good to get it on the list to be considered.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS