Visual Filter: main verb

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 856
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:58 AM

From the PREFACE of Lexham Clausal Outlines of the GNT:

"In my work as a seminary professor, there is no resource that students have found more helpful for exegesis than a clausal outline of the Greek text. Because the main verbs are identified within a paragraph, they can immediately see the big picture and not get lost in a forest of details. In order to keep sentences short, English translations frequently make main clauses out of participles and relative clauses prohibiting readers from visualizing the main points of the author. Greek clausal outlines help the readers determine what are the main thoughts of the author and how the dependent clauses fit into the flow of the author’s arguments."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ... I just created a visual filter for the main verb in Lexham Clausal Outlines of the GNT.

HOW? It took a little work to get all the occurances, but I think I have it now. [First, open a new Visual Filter and give it a name - thanks, Richard.]

1. I set visual Filter to BASIC.

2. SEARCH all text in  Lexham Clausal Outlines as the resource

3. Typed in: "*main verb*" in the search box [that is: quote - asterix - main verb - asterix - end quote]

4. And set formatting to: yellow highlight 

Done. It works.  Smile

PS - The statement in the PREFACE was made by :

Dean B. Deppe, Th.D.
Associate Professor of New Testament
Calvin Theological Seminary

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 9:12 AM

Thanks for this idea.

BTW, step one should be "Open a new Visual Filter and give it the name of your choice." At first I tried adding it to an existing visual filter, but that won't work, as you can't do steps 1 and 2 in an existing filter (unless the search parameters were identical!).

What it does for me is highlight the term "main verb" to the left of the text. It does not highlight the main verb itself. Is that what it does for you too?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 856
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 10:20 AM

Right. Step one IS "Open a new Visual Filter" and give it a name. Thanks for this.

Richard DeRuiter:

What it does for me is highlight the term "main verb" to the left of the text. It does not highlight the main verb itself. Is that what it does for you too?

Yes, but if you don't have an asterix on each end between the quotation marks, you will miss "main verbs" and an occasional (main verb) - in parentheses. BTW - the verbs are all part of another VF I created to distinguish bet. various tenses, voices and moods. I described my attempt at a system (most of it) on another post.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 10:31 AM

Ron Corbett:
Yes, but if you don't have an asterix on each end between the quotation marks, you will miss "main verbs" and an occasional (main verb) - in parentheses.

Yes, I know. I intended to quote from the resource, not from the visual filter itself. I entered the filter just as you described. What I intended to say was that the Greek verb itself is not highlighted in the resource, only the term "main verb" which is to the left of the Greek text in that resource.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 856
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 10:49 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
What I intended to say was that the Greek verb itself is not highlighted in the resource, only the term "main verb" which is to the left of the Greek text in that resource

Gotcha'.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:26 PM

Ron Corbett:

Richard DeRuiter:
What I intended to say was that the Greek verb itself is not highlighted in the resource, only the term "main verb" which is to the left of the Greek text in that resource

Gotcha'.

Can be combined with morphological visual filer to highlight greek verbs plus *main verb*:

Observation: appears imperatives are distinguished from main verb in clausal outline - Philippians 4:4 intriguing choice for main verb (future indicative vis present imperative) - Rejoice Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS