Copying a source with citation

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Rod | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 4 2011 7:54 AM

Is there a way to copy a reference work and have it automatically put the citation of the work in the pasted text?

Posts 5425
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 8:27 AM

Rod:

Is there a way to copy a reference work and have it automatically put the citation of the work in the pasted text?

HI Rod

Using Pages just highlight the passage - right click - select "Copy''  with "Selection" set and then paste into your document.

Make sure "Copy Citations" is set in Preferences

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 8
Rod | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 8:48 AM

Is the only option to have it footnote the citation?

Rod

Posts 5425
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2011 1:23 AM

Rod:

Rod

As far as I know.

However I seem to remember that Pages will convert footnotes to endnotes - but I may be wrong.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2011 8:35 AM

Rod:

There is one more option. It is a couple extra steps, but may be helpful. You can copy the text you want to use to a Clipping. The citation is on the back of the citation separately with its own Copy button. You can copy the citation and paste it into a bibliography rather than trying to convert the footnote. You also then have a Clippings file of all the items you pasted for future use.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 8:54 AM

This clippings work-around did the trick for now.

But why would Logos of the option in it's preferences, to cite citations - and then not do it? It's a bug, isn't it?

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 10:42 AM

Jacques:
But why would Logos of the option in it's preferences, to cite citations - and then not do it? It's a bug, isn't it?

Which word processor are you using? I do not have the latest version of Pages, but automatic footnotes are not created in Pages 08. MS Word 2008 does create automatic footnotes.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 10:12 PM

Jack Caviness:

Jacques:

Which word processor are you using? I do not have the latest version of Pages, but automatic footnotes are not created in Pages 08. MS Word 2008 does create automatic footnotes.

Curious about resource being copied ?

Using Logos 4.5b RC 2 (current Beta) on Mac OS X 10.6.8, learned copy from a resource then paste into TextEdit does not have a footnote citation.  In contrast, copy and paste into Microsoft Word 2011 (14.1.4), Pages '09 (version 4.1), and LibreOffice Writer (3.5.0rc3 that needs updating) created a footnote with resource citation.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS