Pdf to logos supported format to be read in the software

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Sudeep Gollamandala | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 24 2011 12:07 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to convert the pdf resources that we own into logos software readable format.

That will be an amazing idea and then we will be able to utilize logos software to read previously bought online digital commentaries in pdf format.

Any help or answer would be greatly appreciated..

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 12:41 AM

Sudeep Gollamandala:
I was wondering if there is any way to convert the pdf resources that we own into logos software readable format.

Welcome Big Smile

Currently, Logos 4 does not offer a way to convert pdf resources into Logos format.  Personal Book Builder (PBB) is being developed for Logos 4, hopefully included in next Beta development cycle.

Libronix 3 had PBB; a blog describes "PBB or not PBB" => http://blog.logos.com/archives/2008/08/pbb_or_not_pbb_that_is_the_question_1.html

Also found a Libronix 3 PBB tutorial => http://www.logos.com/media/pbb/tutorial.html - appears converting a pdf to PBB will take some effort.

Learned Libronix 3 PBB has an annual maintenance fee => http://www.logos.com/pbb (not know about Logos 4 pricing)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 4:16 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Currently, Logos 4 does not offer a way to convert pdf resources into Logos format.  Personal Book Builder (PBB) is being developed for Logos 4, hopefully included in next Beta development cycle.

Bob Pritchett (Logos CEO) has indicated that the PBB feature will allow you to compile from Word (and hopefully other word processors). If you then have a pdf to doc converter, you could get them into L4 that way. OmniPagePro is supposed to be able to do this.

Details on PBB are still somewhat hazy. Along with KS4J, hoping to see PBB in the next Beta.

PS: This feature is still promised for 2nd Quarter 2011. Thus, it must appear in Beta very soon.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:56 AM

Jack Caviness:
Bob Pritchett (Logos CEO) has indicated that the PBB feature will allow you to compile from Word (and hopefully other word processors).

Specifically, we intend to support docx, which started as the Microsoft Word format and is now registered with the ECMA standards body as ECMA-376 (http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm) as well as with ISO as ISO/IEC 29500. PBB should be able to accept documents from any word processor that supports this format.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:30 AM

David Mitchell:
Specifically, we intend to support docx, which started as the Microsoft Word format and is now registered with the ECMA standards body as ECMA-376 (http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm) as well as with ISO as ISO/IEC 29500. PBB should be able to accept documents from any word processor that supports this format.

EDITED:

The problem here is that Microsoft isn't even supporting the strict standard.  It can be argued that they are using a flawed implementation under the guise of a"transitional" format created only because Microsoft told the multi national panel that it would eventually support a strict standard which years later they still do not.

David Mitchell:
PBB should be able to accept documents from any word processor that supports this format.

Again, this is a problem and it concerns me about the future because there is no office suite out there that writes docx as a 29500 strict implementation, nothing.   Not Word 2010, not anything.  

I'm worried that by choosing this as yet not fully supported format that you're setting yourself up for future incompatibility despite the goals of the stated standards for long term archival etc.

I would strongly urge Logos to reconsider or to at least adopt additional options beyond that of docx which even in it's transitional form has a limited number of office suites that write to it.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:08 AM

ISO/IEC 29500 “Strict” version.
This is the version that ISO said should be used for new documents. But neither Office 2007 nor Office 2010 are capable of writing OOXML “Strict.” Microsoft has made no public commitment on when they will fully implement OOXML “Strict.”

ISO/IEC 29500 “Transitional"
the version that ISO stated should not be used for new documents. Neither Microsoft Office 2007 nor Office 2010 implement this version precisely. Further, Office 2010 writes out a non-standard form of OOXML “Transitional” which includes many proprietary extensions. These extensions have not been contributed back to ISO for standardization.

As long as we can import HTML/marked up TXT files  I will be happy...

would prefer not to be tied to standard which seems flawed either..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 7:36 PM

David Mitchell:
Specifically, we intend to support docx, which started as the Microsoft Word format

Is there any word processor available for the Mac OS that uses this format—even in a flawed version—other than Microsoft Word? MS Word for Mac is seriously flawed for serious Bible Study. It does not—and never will—support right-to-left text. With this decision, Logos has started down a dead-end street for the Mac OS. 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 5:32 AM

Jack Caviness:
Is there any word processor available for the Mac OS that uses this format—even in a flawed version—other than Microsoft Word?

There is a non-exaustive and not entirely accurate list here as a starting place Jack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML_software#Word_processors

Note that it claims a few can write the format but further investigation will reveal they can't or that there are incompatibilities.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 5:57 AM

Thomas Black:
There is a non-exaustive and not entirely accurate list here as a starting place Jack

When that list is cross-referenced with Mac word processors that can handle Hebrew text, it is not very promising.

I posted a question in the Mellel support page. I'll let Mac users know the answer (PC users can read the answer also, but we will then have to kill them Big Smile).

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:03 AM

I would prefer that Logos go with something not based off of Microsoft Word. I use a Mac and am not a fan of Microsoft (hence using a Mac). I have Pages and can save a document as .doc but not docx. So if PBB imports only .docx from Microsoft it will be useless for me. I might as well make them pdf or epub format. Epub is an electronic publication format so to me it would make more sense for PBB to be able to import epub, which I believe is an open format.

In short if PBB only imports .docx then I won't be using it and again it will seem like Logos is treat the mac users (which are growing) like step children. I don't like and won't purchase Microsoft products so please don't go the route of focusing on Microsoft products.

Stephen

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:04 AM

Jack Caviness:
When that list is cross-referenced with Mac word processors that can handle Hebrew text, it is not very promising.
And yet HTML4 is incredibly cross platform, as is HTML5.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:13 AM

Thomas Black:
HTML4 is incredibly cross platform, as is HTML5

I agree with all that has been said above.  It looks like to me [again, this is just my humble opinion] that Logos is making another design error with L4.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 5:40 PM

David Mitchell:

Jack Caviness:
Bob Pritchett (Logos CEO) has indicated that the PBB feature will allow you to compile from Word (and hopefully other word processors).

Wonder which Microsoft transitional docx format(s) will be supported ?  (e.g. Office 2007 XML, ...)

Libre Office 3.3.2 Final (2011-03-22) is available for download (free) => http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ includes document save as Microsoft Word 2007 XML (docx)

Edit: add Libre Office 3.3.2 Save as with File type: Microsoft Word 2007 XML.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2738
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 9:08 AM

I recently put Libre Office on my PC instead of reinstalling Office. I've yet to check how well it does Hebrew. It might replace Office on my Mac if it proves completely viable although I think I will stay with Mellel

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 208
Paul Gisbourne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:50 AM

Libre Office 3.3.2 Final (2011-03-22) is available for download (free) => http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ includes document save as Microsoft Word 2007 XML (docx)

Edit: add Libre Office 3.3.2 Save as with File type: Microsoft Word 2007 XML.

Keep Smiling Smile

My query as a mac user would be, why should I have to obtain another word processor, albeit free, to use PBB. Surely it would be better that PBB is capable of importing from many file formats?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 9:10 AM

Michael Ballai:

I recently put Libre Office on my PC instead of reinstalling Office. I've yet to check how well it does Hebrew. It might replace Office on my Mac if it proves completely viable although I think I will stay with Mellel

Copying and pasting Hebrew from Logos 4.2a SR-5 to LibreOffice 3.3.2.2 works; albeit with a glitch for Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear (LHI), see fragments in Untitled 1 screen shot.  Can save to docx, but table formatting changes; screen shot shows saved docx (after reopening) and newly pasted Interlinear (that reverses Hebrew word order):

Without inline display, can copy and paste LHI text: removed fragment comments, showing document after save and open

Dreaming about LibreOffice Open Document format support for Logos 4 Personal Book Builder (PBB).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1359
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 9:36 AM

Do I understand PBB right? It allows you to include pdf resources I already have in a searchable format in L4? That WOULD BE great! 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 10:15 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
Do I understand PBB right? It allows you to include pdf resources I already have in a searchable format in L4? That WOULD BE great! 

In the prior (L3) incarnation that was not the case.  Whether or not that will be a function of the vastly improved L4 version of PBB is not yet public knowledge.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 11:49 AM

Thomas Black:

Mike Tourangeau:

In the prior (L3) incarnation that was not the case.  Whether or not that will be a function of the vastly improved L4 version of PBB is not yet public knowledge.

Looking at prior incarnation Personal Book Builder Tutorial, noticed document needed appropriate formatting and tags for PBB compilation.  Have doubts about PDF resource(s) being tagged for Logos library integration (may be able to convert PDF to DOCX, then add Logos formatting and tags).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 6:37 PM

What you are describing is of no use or value to me.  Even if PBB in such an implementation were free it would be far to expensive.  Frankly the topic files feature  from e-sword would be far more valuable than the PBB you are describing.  And probably a lot easier to implement.   How do you plan to deal with the incompatibilities that MS always puts in to ensure that apple and windows versions of office cannot interoperate?  How do you intend to deal with incompatibilities between releases of Windows Office?  If you don't want to have PBB then just don't do it.  Don't put in a crippled useless implementation that no one can use.

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS