Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Bruce Archer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 5 2011 6:27 AM

I have just downloaded the NIV 2011 update and I like the additions and changes I have seen so far. 

One thing I would ask is that the book be called "NIV 2011" so that in footnotes and other notations this book can be distinguished between the 1995 or other versions of the NIV. 

It would really help in terms of helping others understand the differences when quoting from each version.  It would also clarify which version one is looking at in the program itself - since currently they go by exactly the same name in notations (unless you are doing FULL footnotes). 

Thanks for your help.

Bruce.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 7:03 AM

Welcome Big Smile

The 1984 NIV was renamed to NIV84 so 2011 version became NIV.  Looking at ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ noticed Libronix 1984 NIV resource is niv.lbxlls while 2011 NIV is NIV2011.lbxlls

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:08 AM

Bruce,

If you open up your library, you can edit the name of the book and the shortcut name -- note the little pencils for editing. I've changed mine to NIV 11 and NIV 84, so I will know the difference, and when I copy and paste into a clipping or using the Copy Bible Verses, it inserts the name of the reference as New International Version 11... etc. see attached screen clipping...

Posts 8645
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:10 AM

Sorry Robert, that won't work in L3.  :-)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:20 AM

But, Robert!         *smile*

You posted to provide help to a Forum user!             Well-done!           Screen shot and all!              Bless you!

You're part of the team!           *smile*

Peace to all!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 7
Bruce Archer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:21 AM

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I'd like the reference name changed so that in the "copy Bible" part it would read differently.  For example this is how it currently reads between the 1984 and 2011

1984 Version:

Luke 18 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' " (NIV) {This could be changed to (NIV 84) or stay the same}

2011 Version: 

Luke 18 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually come and attack me!' " (NIV) {This could be changed to (NIV 2011) or make it the main one}

It would also be nice to distinguish them when you have the books up in LOGOS:

I don't know if the picture can be seen in post.  Does this make sense?  I'm smiling...

Bruce.

Posts 8645
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:26 AM

Bruce Archer:
Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I'd like the reference name changed so that in the "copy Bible" part it would read differently.  For example this is how it currently reads between the 1984 and 2011
 Ah, I believe I understand you to mean the copy bible verses functionality?   Unfortunately I do not know of a way to change the titles or abbreviations used by that tool in L3.  The function can be performed in L4 however in accordance with Robert's picture above.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:33 AM

oops, I follow the forum in Google Reader with RSS updates and didn't read closely enough that Bruce's question was Logos 3.. Good catch Thomas! I don't have Logos3 installed any more, so I'll let someone else offer ideas.

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:58 AM

Milford,

Read almost all the posts and have for years, but as you can tell by my post count, I don't post often, but I have done so a few times. I justify that on the basis that I'm too involved in ministry and family, which is somewhat true. But I'm also benefit from the Logos Forum community and so occasionally when I do see something I think I know something about, I pop in with a comment. Suppose since I benefit so much I should contribute a little more often. Blessings!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 12:34 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
The 1984 NIV was renamed to NIV84 so 2011 version became NIV.

Apologies, in Logos 4, the 1984 NIV was renamed to NIV84.

In Libronix 3.0g, both NIV versions have same names - title page shows copyright year:

The 2011 NIV has a yellow book cover while the 1984 NIV has a blue book cover.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 1:07 PM

Bruce Archer:
I don't know if the picture can be seen in post.  Does this make sense?  I'm smiling...

Wiki has screen shot(s) page (personally using PNG format and clicking paper clip to attach screen capture).

Text Comparison of NIV in Libronix 3.0g can be done, but bit difficult to distinguish versions (same name).  In my Libronix 3.0g, NIV 2011 is first in list of versions.

By way of comparison, Logos 4 does distinguish NIV versions easily.  For Libronix 3, closed program, went back to ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ noticed Libronix 1984 NIV resource niv.lbxlls was updated on Jan 24, 2011 (added 1984 to name), so updated Libronix 3.0g resource, then opened Libronix 3.0g:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Bruce Archer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 4:51 PM

Wow - I think I get it, but just to make sure.

You went to where your resources are on your computer (eg C:\Program Files\Libronix DLS\Resources...) and changed the name of "niv.lbxlls" to "niv1984.lbxlls" and then restarted Libronix?  And that made the difference as far as notations and copy verses versions? 

Thanks,

Bruce.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 5:28 PM

Bruce Archer:

Wow - I think I get it, but just to make sure.

You went to where your resources are on your computer (eg C:\Program Files\Libronix DLS\Resources...) and changed the name of "niv.lbxlls" to "niv1984.lbxlls" and then restarted Libronix?  And that made the difference as far as notations and copy verses versions? 

Not quite: I closed Libronix 3.0g, then replaced niv.lbxlls in Libronix DLS\Resources folder with newer version from  ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ , followed by opening Libronix 3.0g (the newer niv.lbxlls file has 1984 appended to NIV title).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Bruce Archer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 7:58 PM

That worked really well - you really made me smile!

Blessings.

Posts 7
Bruce Archer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2011 7:11 AM

I've hit another little snag in this process.  While I now have the ability to distinguish between NIV Updates through the above process (which worked great), I now have the following two issues:

1. Any search no longer gives the # of occurrences in the top right hand side of the search window

2. I can no longer get the a) Passage Guide or b) Exegetical Guide to work at all!  :(

Can anyone help me with these issues?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2011 7:22 AM

Bruce Archer:

I've hit another little snag in this process.  While I now have the ability to distinguish between NIV Updates through the above process (which worked great), I now have the following two issues:

1. Any search no longer gives the # of occurrences in the top right hand side of the search window

2. I can no longer get the a) Passage Guide or b) Exegetical Guide to work at all!  :(

Can anyone help me with these issues?

Apologies - unable to replicate.  Wonder about Internet Explorer 9 ? Fix for IE9 with LDLS3 that includes link to http://www.logos.com/support/windows/LDLS-IE9

Other option is posting diagnostic logs => http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/logging

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Bruce Archer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2011 12:23 PM

I'll work on this.

Could you tell me why you think the "Fix for IE9 with LDLS3" might work?

Thanks,

Posts 10912
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 19 2011 1:13 AM

Bruce Archer:

Could you tell me why you think the "Fix for IE9 with LDLS3" might work?

I'm not Smiling For Jesus, but would recommend the IE9 patch to you because on the IE9 thread I have seen a posting that said

IE 9 has been installed awhile without incident. But today I tried to run the L3 Passage Guide & finally ran in to the problem. The patch cured it.

Also, if these features were broken in IE9 generally or for the NIV resource, I'm pretty sure there would be another thread about this here on the forum

Mick 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 7
Bruce Archer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 19 2011 6:27 AM

Thanks Smiling 4 Jesus and Mick.  You're suggestions fixed the problem.  I appreciate your help. 

Enjoy Celebrating The Resurrection and the Life!

Blessings,

Bruce Big Smile

Posts 1
Caleb Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 3 2017 3:52 AM

For most, if not all Bible translations, there is a notation on the copy write page that stipulates how the reference must appear (NKJV, NIV, NASV, ect.) Unfortunately, These must be followed how the publisher describes, or the quotation is in violation of copy write laws.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS