Need a Little Help with a Seminary Paper

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 5 2011 2:17 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm writing a paper for seminary, and I'm supposed to be comparing English Bible Translations. Through Logos, my other Bible software, and the Internet, I found just about all the translations I'm wanting to compare. However, I need a little help finding a few. 

I need the text to 1 Peter 3:18 in the following Bible translations:

International Children's Bible

Great Bible (Henry VIII's translation)

Samuel Clarke Bible

James Moffat Bible

Westminster Translation

New Berkley Version

Jerusalem Bible (I found the NJB, now I'm looking for the old one)

New Evangelical Translation

Any help here would be much much appreciated!

In addition, I was wondering if the Logos Information Architects could help me out by providing me 1 Peter 3:18 in the following Pre-Pub translations:

NABRE

Dead Sea Scrolls Bible

Dead Sea Scrolls New Translation

(I found the rest of the English Pre-Pub translations online where I can look them up).

That way I'll be able to reach out in the future and pull some from the past in my paper and deliver a solid comparison.

Thanks a bunch in advance everyone! I know this is going to be a fun paper and project!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 2:53 PM

Nathan Parker:
I need the text to 1 Peter 3:18 in the following Bible translations:

International Children's Bible

1 Peter 3:18 (ICB)
18 Christ himself died for you. And that one death paid for your sins. He was not guilty, but he died for those who are guilty. He did this to bring you all to God. His body was killed, but he was made alive in the spirit.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 2:55 PM

Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database does not have 1 Peter 3:18

Text Compare with English Bibles collection included for grins:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 759
Tobias Lampert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 3:03 PM

Nathan Parker:

In addition, I was wondering if the Logos Information Architects could help me out by providing me 1 Peter 3:18 in the following Pre-Pub translations:

NABRE

Dead Sea Scrolls Bible

Nathan, I guess your seminary teacher wanted to have a laugh next session! Big Smile Yes

"Mach's wie Gott - werde Mensch!" | theolobias.de

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 3:23 PM

Coverdale Bible contribution by Princeton Theological Seminary in many electronic formats 1 Peter 3:17-18 (verses not numbered):

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 4:20 PM

Looks like we need also a translation of the Coverdale translation!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 19270
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 4:33 PM

Denise Barnhart:

For it is better (if the will of God be so) that you suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. For as much as Christ hath once suffered for our sins, the just for the unjust, for to bring us to God: he was slain after the flesh, but quickened after the spirit.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 4:37 PM

Denise Barnhart:

William Tyndale Bible (1535) in ePub format has same spelling issues:

18 For as moche as Christ hath once suffered for synnes ye iuste for ye vniuste forto bringe vs to God and was kylled as pertayninge to the flesshe: but was quyckened in the sprete.

Suspect modern spelling could be:

18 For as much as Christ had once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, for to bring us to God and was killed as pertaining to the flesh: but was quickened in the spirit.

Edit:  Geveva Bible (1560 + over 140 editions prior to 1644) in ePub format is bit easier to read:

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, and was put to death concerning the flesh, but was quickened in the spirit.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19270
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 4:45 PM

What I can't understand is why they spell "the" one way in one place and then the old way ("ye") in another. I guess the idea of consistency in spelling hadn't yet arisen. And whaddya kno. Wer bak 2 that now w/ txting.

I'm also glad to see that Christ liked mocha. That lends some validity to my daily Starbucks outing. Smile

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 5:02 PM

Nathan Parker:

James Moffat Bible

New Berkley Version

Jerusalem Bible (I found the NJB, now I'm looking for the old one)

Moffatt Translation

Christ himself died for sins, once for all, a just man for unjust men, that he might bring us near to God; in the flesh he was put to death but he came to life in the Spirit.

The Jerusalem Bible

Why, Christ himself, innocent though he was, had died once for sins, died for the guilty, to lead us to God. In the body he was put to death, in the spirit he was raised to life,

I don’t have the New Berkley Version but I do have the Revised Berkeley Version in Modern English.

For Christ also once died for sins on your behalf, the just on behalf of the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, being put to death physically but made alive in the Spirit,

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 5:11 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database does not have 1 Peter 3:18

Text Compare with English Bibles collection included for grins:

Keep Smiling Smile

Yeah, I was talking about the English Translations that are on Pre-Pub. Fun comparison though! 

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 5:12 PM

Theolobias:

Nathan Parker:

NABRE

Dead Sea Scrolls Bible

Nathan, I guess your seminary teacher wanted to have a laugh next session! Big Smile Yes

Actually he doesn't know I'm researching "future translations". He just said "get all the translations you can get your hands on". I'm digging way back into the past, gathering all the present ones, as well as trying to grab some into the future. That way the paper will be complete and future proof! :-)

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 5:14 PM

Thanks guys for all your help so far! I thoroughly appreciate it and you've all been a HUGE help to me! Next week is when I put all the research together, so between Logos, my online work, and your help, I'll be able to pull off an excellent paper. Thanks for such great responses!

Nathan Parker

Posts 19270
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 6:02 PM

International Children's Bible (from preview on Amazon.com):

Christ himself died for you. He was not guilty, but he died for those who are guilty. He did this to bring you all to God. His body was killed, but he was made alive in the spirit.

Modern Language Bible (aka New Berkeley Version), from http://www.wordsearchbible.com

For Christ also once died for sins on your behalf, the just on behalf of the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, being put to death physically but made alive in the Spirit.

New Evangelical Translation

Can be bought for $4.99 through Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Evangelical-Translation-Testament/dp/1880189046

Here's a website that lists all the hundreds of English translations ever made: http://bibletranslations.info/Translations.html

Posts 759
Tobias Lampert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:04 PM

Rosie Perera:
What I can't understand is why they spell "the" one way in one place and then the old way ("ye") in another. I guess the idea of consistency in spelling hadn't yet arisen.

Well, compared to e.g. Luther's German writings, this already is consistent as consistency could be back in the 16th century, I guess - not even I with my English as a foreign language am totally lost here! Smile

Posts 759
Tobias Lampert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:07 PM

Nathan Parker:
Actually he doesn't know I'm researching "future translations". He just said "get all the translations you can get your hands on". I'm digging way back into the past, gathering all the present ones, as well as trying to grab some into the future. That way the paper will be complete and future proof! :-)

We could make a suggestion to Logos to publish Dead Sea Scrolls for the New Testament as well - if they manage to do this, there will never ever be a Bible Software outtrumping Logos! Big Smile

Posts 33234
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:18 AM

Theolobias:
We could make a suggestion to Logos to publish Dead Sea Scrolls for the New Testament as well

And I've been so good at not demanding Gnosis on the Silk Road: Gnostic Parables, Hymns & Prayers from Central Asia - Hans-Joachim Klimkeit (Translator) which is a least as necessary for my future theology assignments. So just when I've been being good about my suggestions ....

Okay, I cheated. Mine does exist and is excellent.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 1:48 AM

Theolobias:

Nathan Parker:

We could make a suggestion to Logos to publish Dead Sea Scrolls for the New Testament as well - if they manage to do this, there will never ever be a Bible Software outtrumping Logos! Big Smile

University of the Holy Land has a 2008 blog entry (hence would personally be surprised by Dead Sea Scroll New Testament)

The Dead Sea Scrolls And Modern Translations Of Old Testament (included with Scholar's packages) has an Index of Biblical Passages for Dead Sea Scrolls (all in Old Testament).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 2:45 AM

Rosie Perera:

What I can't understand is why they spell "the" one way in one place and then the old way ("ye") in another.  [

Sadly thats a mis-translation of the english of the day, YE should be translated you and not the.. hope that helps clear it up..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 19270
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 3:10 AM

DominicM:

Rosie Perera:
What I can't understand is why they spell "the" one way in one place and then the old way ("ye") in another. 

Sadly thats a mis-translation of the english of the day, YE should be translated you and not the.. hope that helps clear it up..

That is not correct. And I must apologize: I was feigning confusion to attempt a bit of "syllinesse" which obviously didn't work, as I fooled you. Now back to the more serious:

"Ye" was indeed a way of writing "the." The letter y is a representation of the obsolete letter thorn (Þ, þ) which was pronounced like th; this replacement was necessary because typesetters' fonts imported from Germany (where the printing press developed) didn't have the thorn character. There's more info about that letter here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_%28letter%29) including the fact that in Middle and Early Modern English a thorn (or y) with a superscript e right above it was an abbreviation for "the."

That's why you still occasionally see stores with quaint names like "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" today.

Your confusion comes from the fact that there is a completely different word "ye" which, as you are correct, was the old way of saying "you" . But unfortunately due to typesetting limitations, it is sometimes indistinguishable from the the word "ye" which we now write as "the." In the text from Coverdale's Bible above, it is "the" not "you" which is meant -- "the just for the unjust" not "you just for the unjust" (the latter would make no sense; it was Jesus who was the just one, not us).

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS