Logos on a New Computer

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8
Joel Frady | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:36 AM

Sorry to have to ask this question, because I fell like I should know the answer, but here goes.  I bought a new computer.  How do I put Logos on this computer?  It will be my home computer for Logos.  My work computer remains the same.  Did some looking around for this on the site but could not find good instructions.  Any help would be appreciated.

Posts 25
Steve Cheek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:42 AM

I called Logos and Adam walked me thrugh the process.  Took about 5 minutes.  Very help[ful.

Posts 759
Tobias Lampert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:55 AM

Joel Frady:
Sorry to have to ask this question, because I fell like I should know the answer, but here goes.  I bought a new computer.  How do I put Logos on this computer?  It will be my home computer for Logos.  My work computer remains the same.  Did some looking around for this on the site but could not find good instructions.  Any help would be appreciated.

This here might be helpful: http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

"Mach's wie Gott - werde Mensch!" | theolobias.de

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:57 AM

Joel,

Take a look at www.logos.com/4ways and the fourth method at the bottom has the installer link.  Download that and run it.

Alternatively look at Quick Installation onto multiple computers 

Also:

Installation and Indexing FAQ’s

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 10:11 AM

Thomas Black:

Joel,

Take a look at www.logos.com/4ways and the fourth method at the bottom has the installer link.  Download that and run it.

Alternatively look at Quick Installation onto multiple computers 

Also:

Installation and Indexing FAQ’s

Hi Thomas,

If I were a new user and was directed to the Wiki page on the different ways to quickly install on multiple computers, the following would probably stop me:

THESE PROCEDURES ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY LOGOS SO YOU PERFORM THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK! (as it reads on that page)

And then I would call Customer service and if I were on hold, I would be directed to the Logos forums for help.   Huh?

EDIT: if you are on hold, you hear a recording that encourages you to seek help on the forums.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:05 AM

Joan Korte:
If I were a new user and was directed to the Wiki page on the different ways to quickly install on multiple computers, the following would probably stop me:
And it should.  If this message stops you, it is going to reflect on your level of technical expertise (not a bad thing BTW).  Unsupported fixes are unsupported so they should only be undertaken by those willing to do the wrestling when their own contortions break it.  

Joan Korte:

nd then I would call Customer service and if I were on hold, I would be directed to the Logos forums for help.   Huh?

EDIT: if you are on hold, you hear a recording that encourages you to seek help on the forums.

Heh.  While you're right - keep in mind that calling tech about the above mentioned unsupported method will only get you told it's unsupported.  

This is why my first part of the answer included the "official way" (download the installer) and the unnoficial - go ahead and try it if you dare- method.  :-)

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:45 AM

New users (which I am not part of that group) may possibly find the route suggested circuitous. 

That was my whole point, Thomas.  Logos directs users to the forums for help and when new users arrive at the Wiki for help, they potentially find that if they take the route posed on the forum, they may lack Logos support.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 12:01 PM

If you're installing it on a new computer, you wouldn't do any damage even if you had problems with the installation.  I used method 2 with no problems, and I'm fairly experienced but far from expert.  Someone who did itr as recommended by customer support, if |I remember rightly, had awful problems with it downloading everything at great expense.  Using method 2 I had it all on my computer and indexed within minutes if I remember rightly, certainly within 1/2 an hour.  

At worst, you won't damage your computer and if you haven't got Logos installed on it, you won't mess up what you've previously installed.  I think Logos doesn't support the method, but is not actually opposed to us using it.  The method just wasn't written by a Logos employee.  So be courageous and dive in!

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 2:45 PM

Joan Korte:
New users (which I am not part of that group) may possibly find the route suggested circuitous. 
Ahhh. NOW I understand your point.  I was a bit thick earlier today.  

It happens.  Just ask anyone who knows me well... and they'll roll their eyes.  :-)

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:38 PM

Thomas Black:
 I was a bit thick earlier today.  

You speak as if that is not normal. :-)

Posts 27857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 6:49 PM

Joan Korte:

THESE PROCEDURES ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY LOGOS SO YOU PERFORM THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK! (as it reads on that page)

And then I would call Customer service and if I were on hold, I would be directed to the Logos forums for help. 

However, the line before that (in the wiki) states:-

Follow instructions carefully. If you are not confident to do this then seek advice in the forums.

The aim was to direct the user to the forums, which some have done. If it helps, Tech Support have recommended a similar procedure but it is more problematic! misses an important step!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 7:29 PM

Sorry Philip of course that should have been thicker

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:35 PM

nicky crane:
I used method 2 with no problems, and I'm fairly experienced but far from expert.  

I'm an expert. 

DEFINITION:  Ex = has been
                       Spurt = drip under pressure

Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS