A Little Frustrated with Pre-Pub prices more expensive than reg. pricing on WBC-maybe others?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:20 PM

I usually keep an eye out for Pre-Pub offerings.  When one comes out, I will give it a hard look.  Many times, I have made the commitment to buy it, even though I may not need it at the time, because I know that Someday I am going to need it.  Often times, I do this when it isn't exactly financially easy, because 1.  I have always been under the impression it is going to be the best price and 2.  It is a way to help Logos decided whether they should go through with the project.  

However, I may have to cease using Pre-Pub.

Word Biblical Commentary Series Pre-Pub Price:  $823:46  Today:  $699.99.  Special deal, $499.99, (and 10 months after pre-pub, it was 399.99 during the 12 days of Christmas sale).
I overpaid $123.46 for this series, and if I had waited until now, I would have saved $323.47 .  Had I bought it in the 12 days of Christmas sale, it would have been $423.47 less.

I understand that sometimes that might happen, but when the difference for the NICOT/NTat pre-pub is only $100 less than the Christmas price, it makes me want to no longer buy pre-pub large items, because there is a good chance I will get it at almost the same or much better price after.  I'd much rather of paid a extra $100 for NICOT/NT, and saved $423 on WBC.  I'd still have come out $323 better. For a pastor of a small church and a continuing student, that is a good bit of money.

It just seems counter-productive to have something at a pre-pub price, then 10 months later, offer it for half that price, and the standard price being $323 less.  

Maybe I am way off, and this was a very special case.  Maybe the WBC just didn't sell and Logos had to do something.  I fully recognize I don't have all the info.  But it still makes me quite reticent to use Pre-pub any more for large items.

Thoughts?  Anyone else find similar issues?  Or is this just a one time thing that should be ignored?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:31 PM

I don't doubt your frustration. But I'd assume the pre-pub pricing has become s a point in time. I ended up buying from the publisher a set of expensive commentaries that I could also have bought from Logos. Logos had to drop its price to meet the reduced price from the publisher (both in Logos format). So I'd assume you'd almost have to look at each instance to see what happened. I suspect also that in the last 2 years or so, there's been a push/pull between publisher and re-seller on trying to manage the price to the consumer.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:38 PM

Jems:
Thoughts?  Anyone else find similar issues?  Or is this just a one time thing that should be ignored?

I encourage you to look at this a little differently. New things are usually higher when they are introduced to the market. After the freshness wears off and the return on investment has been realized, it is common for a publisher to drop prices.

I had a similar experience with the Hermeneia Commentary.  I can look at it from the perspective of "others can now enjoy this resource cheaper because I bought it at the higher price." (My participation in the subscription purchase of the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (44 vols.)  is likely to be more of an investment for the sake of future preachers than for my use.

Or I can have the perspective  of  "I have enjoyed the use of the Works of Luther for over a year while others did without and saved $15 for their patience.

I do not look at my singular purchases of Logos resources to determine my personal satisfaction. Prices will always fluctuate. I must confess I have used the occasional  Super Purchase  to convince my wife how good an investment Logos is. Big Smile

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:40 PM

Jems:
Word Biblical Commentary Series Pre-Pub Price:  $823:46  Today:  $699.99.  Special deal, $499.99, (and 10 months after pre-pub, it was 399.99 during the 12 days of Christmas sale).

It appears to be a one-time occurrence. As you say, you do not have all the information. In your example, NIC was still cheaper on pre-pub. Given these facts, it seems that abandoning the pre-pub program would be like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Besides, I got NICOT/NT to $999, and I was very pleased with the price. I do not begrudge someone else also getting a price break sometime in the future. I'm not saying that you do. Just wanted to suggest a positive perspective.

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 5:40 PM

I love NICOT/NT but I still think it is overpriced at $999 and I still do not have in electronic format as yet.  I do have most of NT in hard copy and would consider OT if it ever becomes available separately, which I hope it will at some point.  Then again I may break down and purchase at a price I think is too much.  

I think I got Word in the first Nelson unlock and I'm not sure how that figured out.  Anyone have an idea?

I love my Logos!

Posts 2791
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 7:32 PM

If you really want to get frustrated at a book price, buy the latest top computer book for $50 and find it in the thrift shop for a $1.00 or less within a couple of years. 

Taking WBC at face value, a print set is probably worth $800. But these numbers are meaningless.

One of the volumes represents about 13 years of one scholar's labors. How much is that worth? We have a pretty narrow perspective if all we do is look at the price. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 12 2011 6:24 AM

Jems:
Word Biblical Commentary Series Pre-Pub Price

With respect for your position, Jems,

BUT the pre-pub for WBC was a VERY long time ago.

As has been mentioned here, pricing policies change.

AND you have had all this time to use the resource. If you are waiting "forever" for that "one" good deal you may miss out. Some resources here (can I mention Anchor Yale Bible) have never again been as low as they were on Pre-pub.

[Just a thought...]

All the best,

Regards, SteveF

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 12 2011 8:31 AM

Jems:

I think about this very differently, I guess.

I decide what I'm willing to pay for when I buy. Once I buy, I rarely look back and compare prices to check if I could have gotten a better deal, later. I got what I paid for and am happy with my purchase.

If I do happen to notice that the price went down later, I ask myself three questions:

1. Did I get a good value when I bought it?
  2. Is the value I received between the initial purchase and the new price greater than the savings I could have gotten, if I waited?
  3. Does any of this tell me I should change my buying habits?

I would assume you'd answer the first question positively, and your question seems to suggest it was a good value at the time.

As others have noted, this went on pre-pub a long, long time ago, so the answer to the second question is probably "Yes" unless you've not used those commentaries much in the interim, but plan to use them more now.

As to the third question, I'd suggest the best answer is "No" for a number of reasons. First, for the vast majority of resources the pre-pub price is the lowest we'll ever see. The few for which this is not true, the pre-pub program still provides the best prices over-all. That is, you're more likely to save money by participating than by waiting for special sales that may give a lower price.

One thing that 3rd question has changed in me, is that when/if I decide to buy a resource that is no longer in pre-pub, I'll talk with a sales rep first, instead of buying on-line. I do that because, though they can't always get me a better price than the one offered on-line, they sometimes can, and never give a higher one.

I am also the pastor of a small church and have a limited budget (and no book budget, per se) as well. So I understand your frustration. But if you look at the numbers over-all, the pre-pub program is still, nearly always the best bargain and the best value. (But I still look closely at the numbers and value of a resource to me before I buy).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 12 2011 8:47 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I decide what I'm willing to pay for when I buy. Once I buy, I rarely look back and compare prices to check if I could have gotten a better deal, later. I got what I paid for and am happy with my purchase.

Same here. If I'm happy with the purchase at the time I made it, I will be happy with 5 years from now, even if the price has dropped 50%. But if the price drops 50% the day after I buy it... Crying

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 12 2011 9:17 AM

Otto S. Carroll:
But if the price drops 50% the day after I buy it... Crying

Call Sales. They can probably honor that lower price. I don't know how long they could hold that, probably not for 5 years Geeked

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 12 2011 4:08 PM

Thanks for your responses.  

I should have stated that within the context of Logos being a great product that I have thoroughly enjoyed, this is one of my few frustrations.

What really got me, was that 10 months later it dropped.  

However, I DO understand the overall value of the product-and also recognize that what we are NOT paying, is the overhead of paper, binding, printing, etc etc., but then the tagging, typing, etc. is added back in (and properly so).  

Heck, I have over 3000 books in my library.  I just was a little shocked when I saw the price difference, and started wondering why.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS