Interesting Words - version choice

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 22223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 16 2011 4:34 AM | Locked

When using the Interesting Words section of the Passage Guide it seems to use the highest prioritised Bible as the base for its algorithms as opposed to the Bible used to generate the Passage Guide.

So, for example, my top two prioritised Bibles are ESV and NIV84.

If I select a passage in NIV84 and choose the Passage Guide, the Interesting Words section generated is based on the ESV translation of that passage.

It I change the prioritisation so that NIV84 is first, then that is used as the base.

I think it would be better to use the Bible from which the PG was launched.

Thoughts, Graham?

Posts 25200
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 6:53 AM | Locked

Graham Criddle:
I think it would be better to use the Bible from which the PG was launched.

Except that PG does not have to be launched from a bible!  However, allowing a choice of bible would suit all occasions with preferred being used by default.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 22223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 7:15 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
Except that PG does not have to be launched from a bible!

Fair point!

But when it is, it is (probably) reasonable that you are interested in that version at that time.

Dave Hooton:
However, allowing a choice of bible would suit all occasions with preferred being used by default.

This would work for me,

Graham

Posts 25200
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 7:52 AM | Locked

Graham Criddle:
But when it is, it is (probably) reasonable that you are interested in that version at that time.

Interesting Words from the Amplified bible would be really interestingBig Smile But most times I generate a PG from the one in my Layout, by typing a new passage.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2445
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 8:05 AM | Locked

Graham Criddle:

When using the Interesting Words section of the Passage Guide it seems to use the highest prioritized Bible as the base for its algorithms as opposed to the Bible used to generate the Passage Guide.

If you are doing a study on the XYZ version is not the XYZ version your highest priority Bible of the moment?  Yes, it would be nice to have a 'switch' but we can just change our highest prioritized Bible (and then change it back)    [file under work-a-round]   [changing privatization is easy in Logos - just remember to change it back when done]

Posts 22223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 8:30 AM | Locked

Hi David

David Ames:
If you are doing a study on the XYZ version is not the XYZ version your highest priority Bible of the moment?

Not really. And I appreciate you can easily change the priority, it just seems intuitive (to me) that you shouldn't have to!

• I have the ESV set as my highest prioritised Bible. It is the one I use in my personal devotions.
  • In my church we have the NIV (84 edition) as the pew Bible and so when I am preparing a sermon that is where I start
  • At college, I can sometimes end up using either of the above, the NRSV or the TNIV.

So I can be in any of those and be reading a passage and want to carry out a PG on a verse or range of verses. I don't particularly want to have to go to the Library to change my prioritisation and then to change it back.

I don't see this as a big deal, I was just surprised (and caught out!) when it didn't work as I expected it to!

Graham

Posts 27607
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 4:51 PM | Locked

Graham, I think one should be able to add the translation to any citation and get results for that citation. I have not retested but initially constantly changing your highest priority Bible could lead to strange results. I am constantly switching between NAB, NRSV and JPS ...so I do find most oddities. Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS