BUG: More frustrating bugs with DSS and other datatypes

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 11 2011 7:49 AM | Locked

The release of Charlesworth's excellent new volumes on the Pseudepigrapha have exposed again the serious problems with some datatypes that significantly hamper one's use of Logos. Please, please, please, can these be sorted out ASAP. There are two datatypes in particular where there issues, the Pseudepigrapha and the DSS.

The main issue with the pseudepigrapha is that Logos does not recognise different ways of writing the same reference. For example, Testament of Moses 1:3 = Assumption of Moses 1:3. Likewise, Prayer of Manasseh 5 = Prayer of Manasseh 1:5. The problem is very ably demonstrated by turing to page 922 of Vol. 1 of Charlesworth. Click on any of the links to the Testament of Moses on the page, and they won't take you to Charlesworth's translation, but another resource. Why? Because the links are tagged as Assumption of Moses, but the resource milestones are tagged as Testament of Moses!

The same problem plagues the DSS too. I accept that the various referencing schemes are complex, but handling that is what computers are good for, isn't it? The problem here is that the two schemes just don't match up, meaning that in Charlesworth many of the DSS links point to the wrong place!

• a link to 4QTLevi ara 2:18 which should map to 4Q213, but for some reason goes to 4Q450.
  • a link to 4QCryptic which should map to 4Q186, but goes to 4Q248.
  • 3 links to 4QEna which don't go anywhere
  • a link to 4QMess ar 1:2 which should go to 4Q534 but goes to 4Q521.

We should be able to click on any DSS link, regardless of its referencing scheme, and get to the most highly prioritised DSS resource in our library. Currently that's impossible.

The DSS is also plagued by the same problem as the pseudepigrapha, above. The Dead Sea Scrolls in English tags the opening of the War Scrolls as 1Q33 Col. i (using the DSSE datatpe) or 1Qm 1 (using the QSM datatype). However, the Dead Sea Scrolls: Study Edition tags it as 1Q33 Col. i:1 and 1Qm 1:1, so again they don't match. But Logos should ignore the line numbers if they're missing from one resource, and just match on the column numbers. Even the links with Dead Sea Scrolls in English don't work because they specify line numbers but the resource doesn't support them!

We've been asking for these things to be address for several months. Please, please can you fix it? If it wasn't necessary before, Charlesworth means that it is now.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2011 10:29 PM | Locked

Amen!

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 8:20 AM | Locked

<sigh/> Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls: With Internationally Renowned Experts is missing a bunch of links, too. These are just from page 18-20:

• Missing altogether
    • Para 18: 4Q514
    • Para 21: 1QS 3-4
  • Incorrect
    • Para 18: 1QS 3.4-9 only links to line 4 (so wouldn't show up in a search for verses 5-8).
    • Para 18: 1QS 5.13-14 only links to line 13
    • Para 23: Temple Scroll 56.17-19 only links to line 17
    • Para 23: CD4.20-5.2 only links to line 20.

And none of the links in the resource will open in Dead Sea Scrolls in English, only in the DSS:SE, just as above.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:12 PM | Locked

I so wanted the Anchor 29 volumes, but really couldn't manage $600 this month...so settled for Charlesworth's 2 vol Pseudepigrapha as I own most of the collection in print form anyway.  But my main feeling of loss comes in the way of this DSS resource (and maybe the other offerings by Charlesworth).  Doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't link properly though...isn't that the advantage of Logos?!?! Smile

So far I have found the 2 volume Pseudepigrapha really helpful, and generally links well.  Charlesworth's beautiful translation of "Odes of Solomon" was just about worth the purchase (to have on L4 I mean).

I haven't owned a mobile for many years now, smart or (not so) smart phone...but I purchased one cheaply the other day...so now I can use it to read my resources at library.logos, but am really looking forward to the Android application. 

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:37 AM | Locked

Bump.

Posts 217
LogosEmployee
Jannie van Niekerk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 8:49 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
Bump.

Thanks for reporting! We are addressing the corrections.

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:31 AM | Locked

Jannie van Niekerk:
Thanks for reporting! We are addressing the corrections.

Could you give more information, please? Are you:

• Correcting individual errors in the resources?
  • Correcting something more fundamental that caused all these errors?
  • Creating a mapping system so that either DSS scroll datatype can be used to open either resource?
  • Correcting the whole system so it would also fix similar problems with the Talmud (it's just as bad)?
Posts 217
LogosEmployee
Jannie van Niekerk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 11:30 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

Could you give more information, please? Are you:

• Correcting individual errors in the resources?
  • Correcting something more fundamental that caused all these errors?
  • Creating a mapping system so that either DSS scroll datatype can be used to open either resource?
  • Correcting the whole system so it would also fix similar problems with the Talmud (it's just as bad)?

I can only comment on resource problems and in the Charlesworth resources we are going to:

• make sure Assumption of Moses and Testament of Moses are treated equivalent by adding missing milestones. There was a revision in the datatype that caused the incompatibility.
  • revise all Dead Sea Scroll links.

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 1:32 PM | Locked

Jannie van Niekerk:

I can only comment on resource problems and in the Charlesworth resources we are going to:

• make sure Assumption of Moses and Testament of Moses are treated equivalent by adding missing milestones. There was a revision in the datatype that caused the incompatibility.
  • revise all Dead Sea Scroll links.

Well, I guess that's a start Smile - thank you. I appreciate that the newer reference types are complex - particularly DSS - but obviously we rely on them being accurate.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS