Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:11 AM

When I went to bed last night the estimated indexing time remaining was about 15 hours. I left the Mac running over night. This morning the estimated indexing time remaining is still around 15 hours.  I have a MacBook Pro 2.53GHz with 4GB of RAM. I also installed the Windows version of Logos 4 on my Mac using Parallels. That was done indexing before I went to bed last night. I'll see if the Mac version is done indexing when I get home from work today.

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:35 AM

Same experience with my MacPro (2.66GHz Quad-Core 8GB RAM). Estimated time to complete eight hours ago was a little over 15 hours.  Eight hours later I'm down to an estimated time to complete of 14:40. The Windows version on this Mac finished indexing around 12 hours ago.

Posts 2769
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:38 AM

it was a bad dream... you can wake up now... Wink

Sounds like the icon hasn't refeshed itself to me, low memory/hdd space can also slow the indexer up

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 1
Randy Hardwick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:22 AM

Mine has been showing "0:01 remaining" for the past 6 hours.  I am a little over 20 hours into the process now.  Kind of frustrating not knowing whether it is actually still indexing or whether something has frozen.  I called support and they were no help.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:40 AM

POST IN WRONG FORUM. SORRY.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:41 AM

POST IN WRONG FORUM. SORRY.

Posts 4
Todd Bowditch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:00 AM

Randy,

Mine is doing the same.  Has your's finished indexing yet? 

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:12 AM

My apologies, my post were supposed to be in the Mac Alpha, not 1.0.

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:19 AM

If you want to really see something scary, open up the Activity Monitor and check out Logos4Indexing (separate from the Logos 4 program itself). It's really keeping the CPU revved (explaining why my fans have been kicking on more often over the past couple of days). CPU percentage goes up OVER 100% at times. I don't understand that, but okay. I was editing video this morning and had to simply disable it even though after two days, I've yet to get a full index or download of files (I think there's something like 4 GB remaining).

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:46 PM

Mac version had stopped indexing by the time I got home. I'm guessing the all in indexing time was at least 36 hours.

Posts 4
Bryan Heller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:52 PM

This is all quite exciting to have the privilege to experiment with the Alpha release.  Thank you, Team Logos.

Has anyone who has patiently waited for the downloading and indexing tried the program?  What is it like?  What features have you been able to play around with effectively?

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:53 PM

still indexing, but here is what I have seen so far

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3388.aspx

Posts 57
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:12 PM

Downloaded last night. Indexing only took 5 hours. Haven't had much time to play but what I did it crashed both times. Still exciting though.

Posts 57
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:17 PM

Opps! Restarted Logos. Indexing again. 5:12 remaining. AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to play!

Posts 53
Ryan Schildroth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:56 PM

I've been struggling with the indexing process as well. I have started it two times. Each time I left my computer to do what it needed to do. When I came back the icon in the menu bar was gone, which I thought meant the process was complete. Each time it started over again when I tried to launch Logos 4. Any ideas on what I can do? I'd love to try the program!

MacBook, Intel Core2 Duo, 2.0GHz, 3GB RAM

MacBook Pro (Late 2011) | 2.3 GHz Core i5 | 1TB HD | 8GB RAM | 10.12 Sierra | Scholar's Library +

Posts 7
Pat Soliday | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:13 AM

Maybe I just don't understand the indexing process but it seems to me that Logos can save a lot of people a lot time by shipping (or downloading) a pre-indexed file along with the resource that it references. What am I missing here?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:20 AM

PatSoliday:

Maybe I just don't understand the indexing process but it seems to me that Logos can save a lot of people a lot time by shipping (or downloading) a pre-indexed file along with the resource that it references. What am I missing here?

the problem is they would have to do a custom index for all 700,000+ users. The index isn't simply your base package order but all the other things your have ordered in the past as well.

Posts 747
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:42 AM

The technology exists in information storage & retrieval circles where one can have an individual index for each resource to initially speed up queries over raw searches of text.  In the background over time, the master index can be built my merging these smaller indices.  Eventually, the master index will be complete.  Using this approach, searches will begin slowly (though faster than raw searching) and will speed up over time.  There are several data structures in the literature that make this more efficient in time and space.

Using this method, Logos could build indices for each resource as part of the distribution of those resources.  The engine then slowly builds the master index in the background.  The user would need to know that their searches won't be "lightning" fast until the overall indexing is complete, but it gets them going right after installation (instead of waiting for several hours).

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:45 AM

I was under the impression that at least on the DVD the idea was to ship L4 collections with the index for that collection intact as a starting point.  Additional books would be added to the "new book" index and all could be merged/reindexed at the user's discretion. 

No?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:48 AM

Thomas Black:

I was under the impression that at least on the DVD the idea was to ship L4 collections with the index for that collection intact as a starting point.  Additional books would be added to the "new book" index and all could be merged/reindexed at the user's discretion. 

No?

could very well be.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS