BCP Daily Office Lectionary Questions

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 51
SWSovereign | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:31 PM

I am a very new Logos user and have a couple of questions regarding the BCP Daily Office Lectionary.

1. Is there any way to exclude the Holy Days and Special Days?  For instance, tomorrow, June 29, is SS. Peter and Paul Day.  As I am not Episcopalian, I would rather do the reading for Proper 8, Wednesday instead.  The ESV Daily Lectionary web site, http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/devotions/bcp/?date=2011-06-29, shows the Proper 8 reading.  Even though the 1979 BCP is published by the ECUSA, there are many outside of the Episcopal Church who like to use the Lectionary.  It would be nice if it were an option to have the lectionary display either with or without the Holy Day readings.

2. Is there a way to create a search or report that will extract all of the scripture references along with when they are scheduled to be read and sort it by scripture reference?  If you are familiar with the printed version of the Revised Common Lectionary Dailiy Readings, http://www.amazon.com/Revised-Common-Lectionary-Daily-Readings/dp/0806649305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309321401&sr=8-1, there is an Appendix B "Scripture Readings in Biblical Order", which is exactly what I am looking for, but for the BCP Daily Office Lectionary.  Or, if someone knows where I can find one that someone has already done, that would be great.  I've scoured the Internet and have found the equivalent for the BCP Sunday Lectionary but not the Daily Office Lectionary.

Thanks!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 10:40 PM

Scott Sovereign:

I am a very new Logos user and have a couple of questions regarding the BCP Daily Office Lectionary.

1. Is there any way to exclude the Holy Days and Special Days?  For instance, tomorrow, June 29, is SS. Peter and Paul Day.  As I am not Episcopalian, I would rather do the reading for Proper 8, Wednesday instead.  The ESV Daily Lectionary web site, http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/devotions/bcp/?date=2011-06-29, shows the Proper 8 reading.  Even though the 1979 BCP is published by the ECUSA, there are many outside of the Episcopal Church who like to use the Lectionary.  It would be nice if it were an option to have the lectionary display either with or without the Holy Day readings.

2. Is there a way to create a search or report that will extract all of the scripture references along with when they are scheduled to be read and sort it by scripture reference?  If you are familiar with the printed version of the Revised Common Lectionary Dailiy Readings, http://www.amazon.com/Revised-Common-Lectionary-Daily-Readings/dp/0806649305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309321401&sr=8-1, there is an Appendix B "Scripture Readings in Biblical Order", which is exactly what I am looking for, but for the BCP Daily Office Lectionary.  Or, if someone knows where I can find one that someone has already done, that would be great.  I've scoured the Internet and have found the equivalent for the BCP Sunday Lectionary but not the Daily Office Lectionary.

Thanks!

If you click on the arrows on the left side below the book icon (>>) and then on the triangle next to "After Pentecost" then click on the triangle next to "Proper 7-Proper 8 and finally on the triangle beside "Proper 8, Wednesday" you will see "Year 1" and "Year 2."  You want "Year 1" so click on it.

The appendix doesn't seem to be in the Logos version.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 1:21 AM

Scott Sovereign:

One can come close by making a passage list from the lectionary, sort it into canonical order then do a search on the passage to see when it occurs.. I have several Anglican lectionaries in Excel but I don't think they include the lectionary you want.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 1:22 AM

George Somsel:
The appendix doesn't seem to be in the Logos version.

Correct. It is only recently that Logos added support for the sanctoral cycle and the liturgical dates not appearing in the recent calendar years,

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 51
SWSovereign | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 7:28 AM

George-

Thanks!  I had already figured this out and was hoping for a way to make these passages appear by default.  Still, you method works and is a pretty easy workaround!

-Scott

Posts 51
SWSovereign | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 7:40 AM

M.J.-

Thanks!  In the very short time I have been on the forum, I have already that you are both an expert and very willing and quick to help.

OK, but how can I get the BCP79DL from Logos into a passage list?  I've looked at the "Add" options in a Passage List and can't figure out how to get "Reference" or "URL" to work.  I see where I can do it from selected text but am not sure how to select all the text in the entire lectionary.

Short of an easy way to do it all from within Logos, I do have the data in other formats on my computer and can covert it into a text file and import it that way.

-Scott

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 11:03 AM

Scott Sovereign:
OK, but how can I get the BCP79DL from Logos into a passage list?

Copy a section of the lectionary to the clipboard, then select add from clipboard.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS